“Simply Stunning! ”
Review of Dalhousie Castle

Dalhousie Castle
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bonnyrigg
Reviewed 23 January 2016 via mobile

I booked from a 5pm overnight stay deal for my husband as a Xmas gift and for us to enjoy some time away just us. It was wonderful from the minute we arrived! The lady at reception was very polite and helpful when checking us in, our room was at the very very top of the castle (a lot of stairs!) we got room 23. It was lovely, big and luxurious feeling. It was a family room, it had a double bed, a single and then up a few steps another single. It didn't bother us having the extra beds in the room at all. We went to the Orangey soon after we arrived for a sandwich and a drink before using the spa, the sandwiches were delightful.
We decided to upgrade our evening meal and eat in the dungeon instead and we are glad we did to experience it - it was intimate and romantic and the food was awesome!
The waiters were very attentive.
Our stay was fantastic couldn't have asked for anything better.
We wish we had booked for two nights to enjoy more of the castle, although we will definitely book again and stay for 2 nights. Can't wait to go back.

Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
John B, General Manager at Dalhousie Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2016

Dear Kellymarie S

Thank you so much for your wonderful review, we are of course delighted that you had such an amazing experience and very grateful that you have taken the time and trouble to share it.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the castle very soon.

Reviewed 21 January 2016 via mobile

Where to begin with this experience...when we were planning our trip to Scotland, my wife and I both wanted to stay at least one night in a castle. Its one of those things, like visiting Loch Ness, you just have to do while in the country. We found Dalhousie (pronounced Dal - who - see) Castle online and were intrigued by a package they offered called the royal experience. For us, we didn't just want a nice room and then head off to sight see in Edinburgh, we wanted to spend time at the castle and enjoy the atmosphere of it. This is exactly what the castle provided.

We were provided a private tour of the castle by a very nice and knowledgeable gentleman named Andrew, who also happens to be the castle bag piper. Afterwards we were taken to the castle grounds for a bit of archery training before an hour long massage at the spa located in the castle. All the while, we were assisted by our own private concierge named Anna who made sure everything was to our liking. The room we were given (room 6) was simply stunning and Anna made sure there was fresh fruit, champagne and a gift basket when we arrived. We relaxed in the room for a while before Anna came to escort us to dinner, which began with drinks in the castle library. The dining area, known as the Dungeon Restaurant was wonderful, we were given a private area after being piped in by Andrew. He then told us the story behind Haggis and we were presented with a Haggis which Andrew cut for us.

A note here for my fellow Americans...Haggis is somewhat demonized in the States as an example of terrible Scottish cuisine. I'm here to tell you, the Haggis at Dalhousie Castle was my first taste of it and it is very very good. I even ordered it for breakfast the following morning.

The next day, breakfast was delivered to our room and after finishing we went off to the castle grounds and met up with Kylie (hope I'm spelling her name correctly) She showed us the art of falconry and we were able to fly four different birds. It was a wonderful experience.

Also for Americans, Kylie is the offical bird handler for Outlander and she will introduce you to birds that have been featured in the show.

In closing I will tell you that this experience at Dalhousie Castle is simply magical and you will not be disappointed.

1  Thank Seth D

Dear Seth D (or as per your experience I should say m'Lord)

Thank you for your wonderful review of our Royal Experience package, it was an absolute pleasure to welcome you to the castle and play host to you on your visit to Scotland. We are very proud of everything that we have to offer here at the castle.

We do hope that on your next trip to Scotland that you will return to the castle.

Reviewed 17 January 2016

Hi everyone, so this is my first ever Trip Advisor Review. I do rely on trip advisor to make decisions from time to time, especially when organising a wedding from Australia, so given we recently had our Wedding there in December 2015, I feel I must (I am obliged) give my review! I was a bit concerned about some trip advisor reviews when making the booking, so I chose to assume people often tend to complain more often than compliment! So given our experience, I am about to compliment! I can honestly say, that the team at Dalhousie, led for us by Hannah and Szymon were brilliant. We stayed for three nights, most guests staying for two nights, filling up 99% of the castle on the first night and 100% on the second night, and 30% for the third night. All my guests LOVED it... no concerns about cold rooms etc. The castle, setting and wedding service went beyond our expectations. Syzmon ensured that on the night before the wedding (we had an AMAZING Hog Roast for 70+ guests) and the wedding day itself was completely seamless (80+ guests)... it flowed like a dream. I appreciate that they were running a tight staff generally (perhaps because it was Xmas/New Year period) but everyone did their absolute best, and nothing was too much trouble. We felt relaxed, so does it really matter that your coffee takes a few more minutes to arrive when sitting in the fantastic setting of the castle? In fact, I enjoyed the fact that guests could 'relax' and enjoy the setting. On the wedding itself, the service was spot on, never a delay, pause or problem. Perfection! We can't thank the staff at Dalhousie enough, especially given people were travelling from all over the world to attend our wedding, we wanted it to be spot on. Thanks again everyone!!!!! We wouldn't change a thing! Honest! Oh, and we also had a fantastic third night with 29 guests in the Dungeon Restaurant! Fantastic also!

Room Tip: PS Wifi limited in some rooms.
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family
3  Thank MandyGreenClark

Dear Mandygreenclark

Thank you so much for your absolutely wonderful review. It was an absolute privilege to host your special occasion at the castle and once again we offer many congratulations.

I have forwarded your feedback to all of the team and thanked them personally, we are very lucky to have such a wonderful castle and I am very proud of our fantastic team.

Thank you once again, we look forward to welcoming you back soon

Reviewed 17 January 2016

Fabulous 3 days spent at Dalhousie Castle for a friend's wedding. Stunning interior, beautiful surroundings and friendly staff. Beds are super comfortable too. Loved every minute! Wifi a bit iffy - but who cares!

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jo H

Dear Jo H

Thank you so much for your lovely review. We are delighted to hear of your great visit and hope that you will find a reason to return very soon. We are currently making improvements to our Wi-Fi provision, which has been a significant project - trying to get through our wonderfully deep castle walls, we are now making great progress.

Reviewed 14 January 2016 via mobile

I was given a voucher to stay here for Christmas so called on Sunday to book and was told no one was there to make the reservation and would get a call back Monday.

Monday comes and no call so called Tuesday only to be told for the next 3 months there was no available spaces in the spa for the Friday or Saturday, but they would look into it and call us back.

Thursday now and after 2 emails requsting a call back - as all calls went to answer machine - I called and got through to have the manager make space for me in the spa but the treatments cant be at the same time!

No thanks - voucher refunded and new hotel and Spa booked within 10 mins!!!

Worst experience ever for trying to book anything!!!

1  Thank Allan F

Dear Allan F

Thank you for your review. We are obviously very saddened to hear of your feedback and have investigated the matter to ensure that we come to an appropriate resolution. I can assure you that this is not the norm and hope that at some point we will be able to welcome you to Dalhousie Castle.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bonnyrigg
3.8 km away
9.6 km away
Prestonfield
Prestonfield
#4 of 151 in Edinburgh

Been to Dalhousie Castle? Share your experiences!