“Working locally”
Review of Dalhousie Castle

Dalhousie Castle
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bonnyrigg
Reviewed 27 January 2016 via mobile

I booked to stay here for one night as I was working locally. There was ample parking and from the outside the castle certainly looks impressive. The welcome (Monday night) was genuinely friendly. My room on the lower floor was big and clean. It was a very cold night and the room was very cold but this is a castle. The evening meal was superb and the service in the restaurant was even better. Breakfast was the same with extremely attentive staff. Many thanks for an enjoyable stay

Stayed: January 2016, travelled on business
John B, General Manager at Dalhousie Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2016

Dear Neil M

Thank you for your kind and lovely review. We hope that you will come back to the castle very soon, so that I can personally welcome you back and ensure that your room is at optimum temperature (thank you for letting me know).

I have passed on your comments to all of our team which they are very grateful for.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,439)

Reviewed 26 January 2016

Dalhousie is lovely looking Scottish looking Castle. That's as good as it gets.

The woman on the check in desk didn't look up once when she checked us in. She took our booking form, credit card and passed the key. No warm welcome and no details about the hotel. We later popped back down to reception to ask when breakfast was served the following day. The girl wasn't sure.

We went for a walk around the grounds and this was fine. We came back in and went to look for the bar. It turns out the bar only opens part time if they don't have a wedding on (This is the only bar in the hotel).

We booked our evening meal at the Orangery. We decided to go for a drink at the bar first as we still had 15 minutes before our booking. The library bar is a good name as I think this must be based on the lack of atmosphere and awkward set up. The chap working in the bar was foreign and did not have a grasp of English, being a bar man or reality. I have never seen such an inept person in all my life. It was so bad, it was hilarious. We waited 30 minutes for our x2 drinks and this made us 15 minutes late for our meal.

The Spanish looking member of staff noticed us leaving the bar and asked if everything was ok? We explained what had happened and he gave us the drinks for free. The meal was ok but the steaks were not cooked anything like what we asked. The level of service was superb and this was due to one person, Sam. If it wasn't for Sam I think Dalhousie Castle would fall down.

We went back up to the bar and again it was a disaster, so we decided to go back to our room. This meant we spent no money which was great. But we felt like we were trapped with nowhere else to go.

We used the spa in the morning which was fine. At breakfast it took 25 minutes to get our order. Tables who had ordered after us were being served before us, we had ordered the same thing!!!!!

If you check trip advisor it is obvious the same problems happen every week in this hotel and the management do nothing to rectify the situation. Here is some free advice:

Move the location of your bar and keep this staffed at all times.
Have a hot buffet for breakfast to cut waiting times and speed up the turnovers.
Give Sam a pay rise.

We will never use this Hotel again. Not in the same market as Norton House where we had our last stay.

Room Tip: Don't get a room with an adjoining door to another room. You hear everything.
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Grant W

Dear Grant W

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, which has been invaluable. We are working on all of the points that you have shared with us to ensure that our systems and procedures ensure all of our guests have a fantastic experience. I am very sorry indeed that this was not the case this time, and wish that we had been able to rectify this during your stay.

Thank you once again, we do hope that you will allow us an opportunity to rectify the shortfalls that you have mentioned.

Reviewed 23 January 2016 via mobile

I booked from a 5pm overnight stay deal for my husband as a Xmas gift and for us to enjoy some time away just us. It was wonderful from the minute we arrived! The lady at reception was very polite and helpful when checking us in, our room was at the very very top of the castle (a lot of stairs!) we got room 23. It was lovely, big and luxurious feeling. It was a family room, it had a double bed, a single and then up a few steps another single. It didn't bother us having the extra beds in the room at all. We went to the Orangey soon after we arrived for a sandwich and a drink before using the spa, the sandwiches were delightful.
We decided to upgrade our evening meal and eat in the dungeon instead and we are glad we did to experience it - it was intimate and romantic and the food was awesome!
The waiters were very attentive.
Our stay was fantastic couldn't have asked for anything better.
We wish we had booked for two nights to enjoy more of the castle, although we will definitely book again and stay for 2 nights. Can't wait to go back.

Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple

Dear Kellymarie S

Thank you so much for your wonderful review, we are of course delighted that you had such an amazing experience and very grateful that you have taken the time and trouble to share it.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the castle very soon.

Reviewed 21 January 2016 via mobile

Where to begin with this experience...when we were planning our trip to Scotland, my wife and I both wanted to stay at least one night in a castle. Its one of those things, like visiting Loch Ness, you just have to do while in the country. We found Dalhousie (pronounced Dal - who - see) Castle online and were intrigued by a package they offered called the royal experience. For us, we didn't just want a nice room and then head off to sight see in Edinburgh, we wanted to spend time at the castle and enjoy the atmosphere of it. This is exactly what the castle provided.

We were provided a private tour of the castle by a very nice and knowledgeable gentleman named Andrew, who also happens to be the castle bag piper. Afterwards we were taken to the castle grounds for a bit of archery training before an hour long massage at the spa located in the castle. All the while, we were assisted by our own private concierge named Anna who made sure everything was to our liking. The room we were given (room 6) was simply stunning and Anna made sure there was fresh fruit, champagne and a gift basket when we arrived. We relaxed in the room for a while before Anna came to escort us to dinner, which began with drinks in the castle library. The dining area, known as the Dungeon Restaurant was wonderful, we were given a private area after being piped in by Andrew. He then told us the story behind Haggis and we were presented with a Haggis which Andrew cut for us.

A note here for my fellow Americans...Haggis is somewhat demonized in the States as an example of terrible Scottish cuisine. I'm here to tell you, the Haggis at Dalhousie Castle was my first taste of it and it is very very good. I even ordered it for breakfast the following morning.

The next day, breakfast was delivered to our room and after finishing we went off to the castle grounds and met up with Kylie (hope I'm spelling her name correctly) She showed us the art of falconry and we were able to fly four different birds. It was a wonderful experience.

Also for Americans, Kylie is the offical bird handler for Outlander and she will introduce you to birds that have been featured in the show.

In closing I will tell you that this experience at Dalhousie Castle is simply magical and you will not be disappointed.

Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Seth D

Dear Seth D (or as per your experience I should say m'Lord)

Thank you for your wonderful review of our Royal Experience package, it was an absolute pleasure to welcome you to the castle and play host to you on your visit to Scotland. We are very proud of everything that we have to offer here at the castle.

We do hope that on your next trip to Scotland that you will return to the castle.

Reviewed 17 January 2016

Hi everyone, so this is my first ever Trip Advisor Review. I do rely on trip advisor to make decisions from time to time, especially when organising a wedding from Australia, so given we recently had our Wedding there in December 2015, I feel I must (I am obliged) give my review! I was a bit concerned about some trip advisor reviews when making the booking, so I chose to assume people often tend to complain more often than compliment! So given our experience, I am about to compliment! I can honestly say, that the team at Dalhousie, led for us by Hannah and Szymon were brilliant. We stayed for three nights, most guests staying for two nights, filling up 99% of the castle on the first night and 100% on the second night, and 30% for the third night. All my guests LOVED it... no concerns about cold rooms etc. The castle, setting and wedding service went beyond our expectations. Syzmon ensured that on the night before the wedding (we had an AMAZING Hog Roast for 70+ guests) and the wedding day itself was completely seamless (80+ guests)... it flowed like a dream. I appreciate that they were running a tight staff generally (perhaps because it was Xmas/New Year period) but everyone did their absolute best, and nothing was too much trouble. We felt relaxed, so does it really matter that your coffee takes a few more minutes to arrive when sitting in the fantastic setting of the castle? In fact, I enjoyed the fact that guests could 'relax' and enjoy the setting. On the wedding itself, the service was spot on, never a delay, pause or problem. Perfection! We can't thank the staff at Dalhousie enough, especially given people were travelling from all over the world to attend our wedding, we wanted it to be spot on. Thanks again everyone!!!!! We wouldn't change a thing! Honest! Oh, and we also had a fantastic third night with 29 guests in the Dungeon Restaurant! Fantastic also!

Room Tip: PS Wifi limited in some rooms.
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family
3  Thank MandyGreenClark

Dear Mandygreenclark

Thank you so much for your absolutely wonderful review. It was an absolute privilege to host your special occasion at the castle and once again we offer many congratulations.

I have forwarded your feedback to all of the team and thanked them personally, we are very lucky to have such a wonderful castle and I am very proud of our fantastic team.

Thank you once again, we look forward to welcoming you back soon

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bonnyrigg
3.8 km away
9.6 km away
Prestonfield
Prestonfield
#4 of 151 in Edinburgh

Been to Dalhousie Castle? Share your experiences!