This was a second visit, and our impressions mirrored those of the first visit....a place filled with history and lots of architectural detail, very attentive service (both the front desk and the restaurants) and extensive grounds for walking and strolling. If you like history, this is a place to stay at or at least visit and have a meal. Since this is a very old facility (13th century), it is not a place to stay for those looking for the latest in ultra modern conveniences, elaborate and extensive amenities (although there is a spa) and lots of electrical outlets in the rooms. This is a suburb of Edinburgh, rather on the edge of Bonnyrigg, so do not expect super fast WiFi. However, these are not reasons to stay here, there are other hotels that offer these conveniences, but no history. The library and sitting rooms are very impressive. You might want to book early, there is quite a variety of rooms in terms of size, height of the ceiling, number of windows and location within the castle. If you use one of the booking sites rather than contacting the hotel directly, you may find yourself exiled out to the annex, which is across a very narrow bridge. While the rooms here are more modern and the ground floor units have large patios that open onto a forest view, it is an uphill hike to get to the main castle and far enough to get soaked if it is raining. The bridge to the annex is very narrow, many vehicles will not fit (Mini Copper will be okay). The castle has a lot of special events and weddings, you might want to inquire if any are happening when you are booking in order to be able to plan your visit.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dalhousie Castle Hotel and Aqueous Spa is a magnificent 13th century fortress set within acres of wooded parkland on the picturesque banks of the River Esk. From the moment you arrive at Dalhousie Castle a warm Scottish welcome awaits. Whether relaxing in the the Spa, gathering in the library next to the open fire, dining in the vaulted 2 Rosette winning dungeon restaurant, or retiring to your chambers, you will always feel as welcome as the 'Laird'. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Dalhousie Castle reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dalhousie Castle Bonnyrigg
- Dalhousie Castle Hotel Bonnyrigg
- Castle Dalhousie