“Beautiful building, terrible room.”
Review of Dalhousie Castle

Dalhousie Castle
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bonnyrigg
Reviewed 12 October 2017

My wife and I stayed here with another couple. We were really looking forward to a great experience staying in a room like the ones shown on the website. We arrived a little after 6PM, and were told we got the last two rooms available. To say my wife and I were disappointed in our room was an understatement! It was not much bigger than a standard hotel room, and for a "theme room" it sure didn't seem to have much of a theme. There was a foyer adjoining the main room with a small bed for children. The bathroom was nothing special, and had puddles on the floor when we checked in. The toilet tank was leaking and could not be fixed that night. A nice hotel employee tried to contain the leak with some towels, but they were soaked through by the morning. By comparison, our friends had a very nice, large room with a giant tub separate from the shower, and a nice spacious sitting area and a study-type area, so we saw what the room we expected looked like. The rooms were priced the same, but for people without children the value was in no way comparable. The lady at the front desk was quite unsympathetic to our concerns and made a lame attempt to explain the "theme" of our room. However, dinner and breakfast were fabulous, though, and the service in the dining rooms was generally very good.

Room Tip: DO NOT accept room 12 unless you have a child with you.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

Since our son was married and had the reception at Dalhousie Castle, we thought it would be nice to take a couple of friends (since they could not attend the wedding day) for coffee and cake.
The hotel staff were extraordinarily welcoming and helpful. Before sitting down in The Orangery we were allowed to wander the castle to show our friends the general layout.
The serving staff were polite and professional and made us comfortable.
The only point that I would like to make (and it is not a complaint) is that the desserts that are served are very sweet. The next time we visit (I assume this would be ok), I would request fewer pieces of very sweet food. So if you have a sweet tooth, you will be happy. If not, then I would say that you make a request for fewer sweets and substitute for what you want (of the same platter).

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 October 2017 via mobile

My wife and I booked and stayed at the castle for 1 night.
We found that from our arrival until our departure the staff attentive and helpful.
The castle and grounds are outstanding is is the Dungeon Restaurant.
Enjoyed the whole experience!
Book the theme rooms, more expensive but worth it.
Also book activities such as falconry and archery in advance of your stay to avoid disappointment.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

I booked a night for myself and my husband to celebrate his birthday with the aim of a 'haunted weekend' as widely advertised. I hadn't realised that I had booked the lodge which was a different building a 5 minute walk which was fine, though I felt disappointed we weren't even in the main building. Anyway, we got to the lodge and the room was lovely, a conservatory and in a very tranquil location. Didn't take car down as the bridge was very narrow and had difficulty getting it through.
We booked dinner for 7pm at the Dungeon restaurant but we were phoned and asked to change it to 8 as they had a lot of bookings so that was ok. Before dinner, you have to wait in the library bar half an hour before hand and we did, though it was closer to 9 by the time we were given our table. The waiter was quick with the drinks but once we took our bottle of wine through to the restaurant (we had just bought one), we were kind of 'forgotten about' and had to ask for a new refill as they had the bottle but then left it on their service area. The food was lovely, service very slow though and the waiter even apologised as they had a wedding on, he even said the service wasn't as good as it would be. Otherwise a nice stay so far. Next morning we came for breakfast for 10am. We waited 50 minutes before we got our cooked breakfast. I think that's a disgrace. The portion was also unacceptable. I had paid £230 and I was disappointed overall as on the website it looked wonderful but I don't think I'll be going back. Puffed up and over priced.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 October 2017

What better way to spend your first night in Scotland than at a castle! Our room was comfy with a luxurious bathroom. We arrived a little early, as we had booked spa treatments before check in time, and were welcomed warmly. We wandered the grounds to the sound of bagpipes being played by a handsome gentleman in a kilt, who also entertained guests with information and Scottish tales. The birder in our party did the Falconry experience and loved it. We had dinner in the dungeon, after drinks and pleasantries with other guests in the library. Dinner was incredible. We all were amazed at the flavorful selections and the extensive wine list. Breakfast in the morning was delightful and after packing the car, we took a lovely hike on a trail on the grounds, thankfully using the boots provided in the hallway.....we don't have bogs in Florida. The fact that we had flown all night and were driving on the wrong side of the road and still had a wonderful time is an indication of just how lovely Dalhousie and its staff are.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bonnyrigg
3.8 km away
9.6 km away
Prestonfield
Prestonfield
#4 of 151 in Edinburgh

Been to Dalhousie Castle? Share your experiences!