Dalhousie Castle
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
  • Restaurant
1,513 results
All reviewsdungeon restaurantlibrary barspa facilitiesfour posterno liftafternoon teabefore dinnerthemed roomsfalconry experiencewedding partyfairy talehydro poolspecial occasionwedding breakfastbirds of preywhole experiencenight porter
Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

Since our son was married and had the reception at Dalhousie Castle, we thought it would be nice to take a couple of friends (since they could not attend the wedding day) for coffee and cake.
The hotel staff were extraordinarily welcoming and helpful. Before sitting down in The Orangery we were allowed to wander the castle to show our friends the general layout.
The serving staff were polite and professional and made us comfortable.
The only point that I would like to make (and it is not a complaint) is that the desserts that are served are very sweet. The next time we visit (I assume this would be ok), I would request fewer pieces of very sweet food. So if you have a sweet tooth, you will be happy. If not, then I would say that you make a request for fewer sweets and substitute for what you want (of the same platter).

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 October 2017 via mobile

My wife and I booked and stayed at the castle for 1 night.
We found that from our arrival until our departure the staff attentive and helpful.
The castle and grounds are outstanding is is the Dungeon Restaurant.
Enjoyed the whole experience!
Book the theme rooms, more expensive but worth it.
Also book activities such as falconry and archery in advance of your stay to avoid disappointment.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

I booked a night for myself and my husband to celebrate his birthday with the aim of a 'haunted weekend' as widely advertised. I hadn't realised that I had booked the lodge which was a different building a 5 minute walk which was fine, though I felt disappointed we weren't even in the main building. Anyway, we got to the lodge and the room was lovely, a conservatory and in a very tranquil location. Didn't take car down as the bridge was very narrow and had difficulty getting it through.
We booked dinner for 7pm at the Dungeon restaurant but we were phoned and asked to change it to 8 as they had a lot of bookings so that was ok. Before dinner, you have to wait in the library bar half an hour before hand and we did, though it was closer to 9 by the time we were given our table. The waiter was quick with the drinks but once we took our bottle of wine through to the restaurant (we had just bought one), we were kind of 'forgotten about' and had to ask for a new refill as they had the bottle but then left it on their service area. The food was lovely, service very slow though and the waiter even apologised as they had a wedding on, he even said the service wasn't as good as it would be. Otherwise a nice stay so far. Next morning we came for breakfast for 10am. We waited 50 minutes before we got our cooked breakfast. I think that's a disgrace. The portion was also unacceptable. I had paid £230 and I was disappointed overall as on the website it looked wonderful but I don't think I'll be going back. Puffed up and over priced.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 October 2017

What better way to spend your first night in Scotland than at a castle! Our room was comfy with a luxurious bathroom. We arrived a little early, as we had booked spa treatments before check in time, and were welcomed warmly. We wandered the grounds to the sound of bagpipes being played by a handsome gentleman in a kilt, who also entertained guests with information and Scottish tales. The birder in our party did the Falconry experience and loved it. We had dinner in the dungeon, after drinks and pleasantries with other guests in the library. Dinner was incredible. We all were amazed at the flavorful selections and the extensive wine list. Breakfast in the morning was delightful and after packing the car, we took a lovely hike on a trail on the grounds, thankfully using the boots provided in the hallway.....we don't have bogs in Florida. The fact that we had flown all night and were driving on the wrong side of the road and still had a wonderful time is an indication of just how lovely Dalhousie and its staff are.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 October 2017

My partner and I just spent three nights at Dalhousie Castle for our wedding ceremony. In hind site, we wish we had booked a longer stay. The castle is an incredible location for a wedding. It was like stepping back in time with so much history and beautiful scenery. We are a same sex couple and we could not have been made to feel more welcomed and cared for on our special day. We can not say enough great things about this very special place. We made almost all of our wedding plans via email and everything was perfection when we arrived. Our main contact was Cornelia. She and her counterpart, Allie, handled everything for us before our arrival. Everyone at the castle was helpful and extremely courteous but we have to specifically recognize Patricia. She was there to answer any and all questions that we had throughout our stay. She handled every small detail so we could concentrate on our special day. She truly made a wonderful stay even the more enjoyable!.

We were a little concerned about the rooms not having air but the windows allowed for beautiful fresh country air that kept us very comfortable. We had the Mary Queen of Scots suite and it was well appointed with a large comfortable bed. If you get to go and we hope you do, you have to meet Andrew the Scottish Piper. He made our stay very special as well.

During our stay, we had the opportunity to "fly the birds" at the onsite falconry. It was truly an amazing experience and the birds are so well cared for and loved! On the morning of our departure, we had a very early flight out of Edinburgh. Patricia ensured that we had a nice boxed lunch for our travels. This was a very special touch indeed.

We are looking forward to a return to this very special place to celebrate our anniversary!

Patrick and Tom

Room Tip: Themed rooms are very special with a historical touch
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple