All reviewsrannoch stationclan nightgreat weekvillage shopguided walkred deerenclosed balconytime sharewelcome meetingmacdonald hotelstudio apartmentfish and chip vanweek stayrefurbished lodgewhole weekself cateringsky tv
Reviewed 30 November 2017

I used a Timeshare swap to book the Loch Rannoch Highland Club and stayed in Red Squirrel 6 unit. It was very well equipped, with everything you would need for self catering. The decor was similar to other timeshare places we had visited in Scotland, lots of wood, tartan and tweed. The place was spotlessly clean. There is a laundry on site which comes in handy if you are there for a week. The only slight downside for me was the remoteness of the resort. I knew it was off the beaten track, so to speak, but unfortunately the roads into the place were not a pleasant driving experience, which meant that we choose not to travel too far. We visited the bar in the hotel for a drink one night and seen people eating and I must say the food looked nice. A small improvement would be if the people staying in the Highland club could use the pool at the hotel, even at a charge. All in all a lovely week but the driving conditions were an issue for us.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 November 2017

I think I've found this to be a most difficult review to write. At the outset, can I say that I thought the accommodation was very good. We were at the highest "level", in the Red Deer block. The accommodation is quite old (our neighbour said she'd been going there for 40+ years), so the "fabric" is in need of a little TLC. However, everything we wanted was to hand - it was very clean, comfortable and warm (even in the snow! - although there was a small charge for heating). The "conservatory" looking out over the loch and the mountains was great.
It's not for those with mobility problems as there are quite a few sets of steps to negotiate and its about 250 yards downhill to the hotel , with a subsequent walk back up to the apartment. Staff were very polite and friendly.
However, there is a "BUT" and I consider it to be a major "BUT", - the hotel is spectacularly situated above Loch Rannoch and is quite remote ( although the village, with some services, is close). It's situation and remoteness comes at a cost - actually getting there. As we weren't allowed in to the property until 5.00pm, our drive-in (from Pitlochry) started at dusk with the low-level sun in my eyes. I am quite ok with single track roads, with passing places but this road seemed, at times. to be less than 2 car widths and with very few passing places. Added to this was the fact that huge logging wagons and, indeed, tarmac wagons (as there were extensive roadworks taking place) regularly came hurtling towards us.. The road has some significant drops off to the loch, hairpins and hills. This was a nightmare journey lasting about 50 minutes and I consider it to be difficult driving.. To be fair, we did try again, in daylight, and this was slightly better. By the latter part of our week, we had been advised that an alternative route to the A9 was available, driving farther to the north. I will confirm that this was a slightly better route , albeit longer.
If I had been rating the accommodation alone, I would have given it a good 4 stars but I have marked it down to 3 stars due to the driving difficulties.
We had dinner in the bar of the sister hotel twice during our stay. It was a tad on the expensive side but very good, particularly the fish platter. Not for everyday eating but very nice as a bit of a treat.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
5  Thank JMBRamblings
Reviewed 29 October 2017 via mobile

Stayed for a week in Lochside 2, friends also booked a 1 bed apartment. We were all extremely happy with accommodation which was spotlessly clean and extremely well maintained. Everything was thought of even a grapefruit knife. Cocktail cabinet, fluffy towels. Anything that needed fixing was fixed immediately. Lochside 2 has two bedrooms and pull down bed in large living room. Both bedrooms had en-suite bathrooms. Views across Loch Rannoch and the amount of things to do in the area made our entire week special. We used Dial a bike to order bikes. Visited village fryer on Wednesday night for our fish and chip supper. (Which was his last visit of season)
Had dinner at mc Donald hotel in bar by fire. Dunalastair open now had a good dinner there and dressed up for occasion, lovely meal although venison and scotch steak absent on a menu that you get anywhere outside Scotland. After many years visiting this was our first stay at Loch Rannoch Highland Club , much more relaxing having breakfast when we wanted, not having to rush back for hotel dinner times as we had flexibility to cook and entertain in our magnificent Lodge. The staff were brilliant and on hand when needed.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Wedderburn
Reviewed 24 October 2017

We stayed in a Highland Lodge this August and were blown away by the quality of the Lodge and furnishings, the absolutely wonderful view from the Conservatory, the helpfulness of the staff and the attractive landscaped grounds. Kinloch Rannoch and the Highland Club are delightful, and we highly recommend it to others. In fact we have bought another Lodge there since returning home! The fantastic scenery, peace and tranquillity, varied wildlife and friendly locals, cannot be beaten. Some super places to eat in the area and links with Diana Gabaldon's Outlander books and tv series, make it a wonderful and special place for us.

Room Tip: Talk to the Office staff - they know the Lodges well and will advise you, to meet your needs.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank shatkinson
Reviewed 21 October 2017

If you want to go hiking in the mountains, look for wildlife, enjoy the awesome views, and cook your own meals, this is the place to go.
We were in H7--a 3 bed, 2 1/2 bath townhouse overlooking the loch and the mountains. Beautiful, updated unit--very clean and modern--great views.
We booked this unit by exchanging our time share from the US with the idea that this central location would be a good home base for our visits to multiple areas of Scotland. We knew amenities were limited but Pitlochry with shops, restaurants, etc. was only 20 miles away. What we didn't know was the roads in this part of Scotland are very narrow and winding; not only do you have to avoid oncoming cars but also watch for sheep on the road. The trip to Pitlochry and to our other planned locations took far longer for us to reach than expected. We ended up spending much more time in the car than we wanted to. And we really didn't want to cook on this vacation so we always had to plan on an early dinner somewhere (!) before trekking back to the lodge. I must say my husband did a superb job of driving on the "wrong" side of the road but he could never enjoy a drink with dinner because of having to face the dangerous roads. There is a hotel next to Loch Rannoch but the restaurant seemed a bit uppity and dressy--we never ate there. we did eat in the bar one night but were not impressed and never returned. Those are the ONLY options for dining at Loch Rannoch. Although the acccomodations were comfy, we would never go back to Loch Rannoch for vacation because of the lack of amenities.

Room Tip: stay in Pitlochry
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family