“A gem”
Review of Crannag Bistro

Crannag Bistro
Price range: US$13 - US$47
Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Award winning Highland restaurant serving local ingredients in contemporary dishes. Organic wines, North Highland whiskies and Cairngorm beers, unpretentious food and a true Highland welcome. Booking always recommended!
Reviewed 31 July 2016 via mobile

The food here was excellent as you'll read elsewhere. I just wanted to note that as a vegan they went out of their way to prepare me something - and not just any old stuff but a delicious vegan thali and - piece de resistance - a dessert to die for. Great beer on tap too. Wholeheartedly recommended.

1  Thank Dave P
Ian S, Manager at Crannag Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2017

So pleased you enjoyed your thali and dessert. We do try to accommodate all diets - always much easier when washed down with a good beer! Hope to see you again soon when you are next in the area.

Reviewed 30 July 2016

My family visited this place and thought that the menu choice was good, not too large to be impossible to have everything freshly cooked. The food was average for what was being charged. Nothing to write home about, but certainly not worth complaining about either. A rather soulless place though.
I hesitated before I submitted this review as it is very clear that the owner does not take at all well to criticism from reviewers and I am sure that he will have something negative to say about our party/my review.

The only really negative aspect was indeed the owners manner towards our group - he was abrupt and everything seemed like a bother to him. Poor customer skills really.
Would we return, no.

1  Thank eternaltransit
Reviewed 28 July 2016

Very accommodating - allowed us in before his opening time (we were passing through)
and gave us an off-menu Thali dish when we said we were veggie ; which was good as any we had eaten in the Indian hotspots of Tooting or Hounslow.

Thank you for your kind review. It is good to hear that we are not far behind the curries offered in the big city! Glad you enjoyed your thalis and look forward to seeing you again soon when you are next in the area.

Reviewed 24 July 2016

Read mostly good reviews about the restaurant and looked forward to our visit. There were three of us in the party. Whilst the food was indeed very good, well cooked and nicely presented, the owner's attitude was off putting to say the least. Being a cook myself, when I asked about a dish on the menu, he came over as condescending and irritated at being asked at all. The restaurant itself is clean and relatively comfortable. Menu choice, for us, was very meat based in general, only a few items on the menu, which is good.
We also wanted to sit at our table and choose our food, have drinks etc, however, we were given a clear impression that we were deviating from the 'normal' of choosing at the bar! No, we really did not want to sit at the bar, nor "chat" to other diners. We did go to our table and choose the meal in the end. The atmosphere was not friendly, other diners didn't appear to be enjoying themselves either. As I say, the food was lovely, alas, we would not return solely due to the owner's attitude.

2  Thank Alex S
Ian S, Manager at Crannag Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2016

We are surprised and disappointed at your review of the bistro. Despite the restaurant being “clean and comfortable” and the food being “lovely”, “well presented” and “very good” , you saw fit to deem us ‘poor’ with only two stars.

We remember your party well, mostly by your many and varied questions about every dish on the menu whilst pointing out that you were an accomplished cook. Ian is always happy and proud to talk about the menu and ingredients, as other reviewers have commented, but he also had other diners to look after. At no stage was he unfriendly. He accepted your interpretation on how our restaurant should be run, and did his best to accommodate your preferences.

Your reviews of other businesses in the Highlands are also unfair. The Pier in Lairg is an excellent eatery and does not deserve your dismissive review, just because you had to sit outside on a busy day to have a cup of tea. Most people enjoy this beautiful aspect overlooking the loch. We are slightly comforted by the fact that actually you are rarely happy when dining out. Which begs the question … why do it? Unless, of course, you are tired of your own cooking.

Reviewed 23 July 2016 via mobile

We did our usual trick of finding the best restaurant around on our last night and the Crannag is certainly the best restaurant for many miles.
We were greeted by the owner who took us through the menu, advising and providing interesting information along the way.
I had the belly pork with a delicious rhubarb chutney for starters and my wife had the scollop and chorizo salad. The belly pork was cooked to perfection and not too fatty, scallops were melt in the mouth bliss.
For mains I had the cassoulet (with confit of venison and homemade Toulouse sausage) which was lovely and my wife had the haddock risotto, which again was really good. For dessert we both had the baked cheesecake.
A really top notch meal. I was particularly impressed with the owners ethics on sourcing local ingredients and creating dishes around their strengths, his take on cassoulet was a perfect example of this, making sausages out of local ingredients and using confit of venison rather than the standard duck.
If you live nearby or find yourself in the area you really should try this restaurant. Now if only I could get the recipe for that rhubarb chutney :-)

Thank you so much for your kind review. It is always a pleasure to serve lovely people who are interested in their food. I will send you the recipe for our rhubarb and chilli relish once we have the brown envelope. Hope to see you again soon on your next visit north!