“Perfect and Entertaining”
Review of Crannag Bistro

Crannag Bistro
Price range: US$14 - US$50
Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Award winning Highland restaurant serving local ingredients in contemporary dishes. Organic wines, North Highland whiskies and Cairngorm beers, unpretentious food and a true Highland welcome. Booking always recommended!
Reviewed 7 August 2016

I had friends visiting from West Yorkshire and wanted them to experience some Highland Ceilidh music and this was the only venue on the Ceilidh tour that coincided with my itinerary, which also included The Signet tour of Glen Morangie distillery , just down the road in the afternoon.
I booked to make sure we got in and we arrived early. Ian, the "Chef Patron" was busy setting up and welcomed us in. Whilst waiting, we discussed the menu contents with Ian (on the move) and changed our minds several times on what we were going to eat simply because of his mouth watering descriptions of the sourcing, preparation and flavours of each item.
Being completely honest I can't remember what we had for starters, except to say that one of my guests had the belly of pork and kept raving about it (my mouth still waters when I remember Ian's passion about its preparation), but I do remember the mains. Two of us had 12oz ribeye steaks and the lady had lamb and we all agreed that the meats were cooked to perfection and were possibly the tastiest we have ever experienced. We are all in our 60's, so we have eaten quite a lot of good food. My friends wanted to go back the next night, but I had booked a meal in Thurso for that night.
The Ceilidh entertainment was fantastic, the Bistro was steady to busy all the time we were there and Ian was the finest of hosts.
I was in the licensed trade for 20 years previously and rate this as a well run confident business, with food to die for - TDF!
This Bistro is 55 miles from home, but the occasional drive out will be worth it.
I have another visitor coming from The Isle of Wight soon and will definitely be booking a meal at The Crannag for her to experience.

3  Thank SkerraySenior
Ian S, Owner at Crannag Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2017

So pleased your enjoyed your experience at the Crannag and thank you for your kind comments on our food and Ian's hosting skills. Very precious when coming from a fellow in the trade! Hope to see you again soon. Kathy

Reviewed 5 August 2016 via mobile

We were there early (earlier than our 6.30pm reservation and their first customers on a Thursday evening) but were accommodated with ease. All considerations were made for our family (we had 2 kids with us) to dine as smoothly as possible (coordinating starters with kids' main courses etc). The food was absolutely stunning. The pork belly with the rhubarb chutney was bang on the money. The owner made recommendations for all of us, and we ended up sharing 3 different starters. On top of the pork belly being spot on, the scallops with chorizo as well as the crab masala were so fresh and so tasty. We had flat iron steaks and the hoisin duck with pancakes while the kids had fresh homemade pizzas with their choice of toppings. We polished everything off the plates because the food was so delicious and ended up sharing desserts because we were so full. The sticky toffee pudding is yum...everything at a very very reasonable price.

All evening we were given a lot of attention despite having a full house and our kids loved the little Scotland pins given for "good behaviour". It was the best meal we had this trip to Scotland and the next time we are in the vicinity we will definitely come back! Thanks to the friendly and humorous owners/cook for this wonderful experience, now if we could just have the recipe for that rhubarb chutney please!!!! :)

2  Thank jwo_77
Ian S, Manager at Crannag Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2017

Thank you! What a lovely review - and what a lovely family! Delighted to hear that the food in the Crannag was the best you had whilst in Scotland. Our duck and steaks are firm favourites in the bistro, as is the sticky toffee pudding. It was our pleasure to add to your happy memories of the far north and please do call in again when you are next on your travels!

Reviewed 31 July 2016 via mobile

The food here was excellent as you'll read elsewhere. I just wanted to note that as a vegan they went out of their way to prepare me something - and not just any old stuff but a delicious vegan thali and - piece de resistance - a dessert to die for. Great beer on tap too. Wholeheartedly recommended.

1  Thank Dave P

So pleased you enjoyed your thali and dessert. We do try to accommodate all diets - always much easier when washed down with a good beer! Hope to see you again soon when you are next in the area.

Reviewed 30 July 2016

My family visited this place and thought that the menu choice was good, not too large to be impossible to have everything freshly cooked. The food was average for what was being charged. Nothing to write home about, but certainly not worth complaining about either. A rather soulless place though.
I hesitated before I submitted this review as it is very clear that the owner does not take at all well to criticism from reviewers and I am sure that he will have something negative to say about our party/my review.

The only really negative aspect was indeed the owners manner towards our group - he was abrupt and everything seemed like a bother to him. Poor customer skills really.
Would we return, no.

1  Thank eternaltransit
Reviewed 28 July 2016

Very accommodating - allowed us in before his opening time (we were passing through)
and gave us an off-menu Thali dish when we said we were veggie ; which was good as any we had eaten in the Indian hotspots of Tooting or Hounslow.

Thank you for your kind review. It is good to hear that we are not far behind the curries offered in the big city! Glad you enjoyed your thalis and look forward to seeing you again soon when you are next in the area.