“Good Tasting Menu”

Price range: US$16 - US$30
Cuisines: French, Wine Bar
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Fitzroy
Description: Hell of the North offers casual dining and drinking coupled with service that is informed and friendly. We are open from Wednesday to Sunday from 5pm for dinner and for lunch on Saturday & Sunday from noon until 3pm. We also offer a supper menu from 10pm ~1am on Friday & Saturday nights and between lunch & dinner on Saturday & Sunday. Group bookings are accepted and reservations are strongly recommended. We look forward to seeing you soon.
Reviewed 16 December 2015

Hell of the North was on my mind for couple of weeks, especially for the good deal that the 5 tasting courses menu are posted out. Is it very affordable and it doesn't leave the people unhappy for their choice.

The restaurant from outside it would attract your attention for the Yellow door color, and the interior are a good mix of withe, brown and black.

The courses are served all with side dishes (chips, salad etc...) that are design to balance the flavors of the main meal, without overload the palate with strong flavors.

Also, an important role in this restaurant is played by the staff, well trained in take care of dietary requirements and into provide good customer service. Nice and friendly, able to suggest and drive thru the menu if you are not confident with it.

The best meal of the $65 pp it was the vegetable mix, with labne and wild rice, this plate was outstanding. All the other courses were nice too.
The Azealia Nebbiolo 2010 was delicious, and it is on the extensive wine list.

The wine list and cocktail list express a wish to bring the customer into a different track, providing good products(wine selection) and passion( service&cocktails).

Now couple of things that on my opinion could make the restaurant more outstanding above the near by competitors.

1) The first suggestion could be a good idea to remove the paper napkins.
2) The second suggestion is regarding the extensive wine list. Is it a bit hard to read on, but It has a great selection of white and reds.

Reviewed 12 December 2015 via mobile

While visiting friends in Melbourne we were lucky enough to have been brought here and what can I say......IT WAS AMAZING. The food, service, atmosphere are amazing. The food is extremely tasty without being "over engineered". It relaxed and not stuffy. A dining experience that is one of the highlights of a 4 month trip to 6 countries.

Reviewed 12 December 2015

Arriving with a group for the early sitting, a cocktail I had ordered on the way in was already sitting on our table. Amazing small dishes were presented, each one a combination of French and eclectic culinary influences. The savoury donut was a decadently delicious addition to our selection of shared courses. The cheese soufflé was also a standout. All in all, the service was prompt, and gracious. Only the steak was a little too chewy.

Reviewed 10 November 2015 via mobile

We stumbled across Hell of The North as we were enroute through Fitzroy and were really surprized.
Great drinks and wine list - the food looked incredible and we really hoped we would get to go back and eat there but didn't manage it on this trip - a good excuse to go back to Oz!

Reviewed 4 October 2015

Visited Hell of the North for the first time with a wonderful group of friends; not surprisingly we opted to go for their $65 'Let us feed you' option. And oh my, oh my, was that the right decision! It did take a little while for our table to be available but hey, Saturday night in Melbourne at what is understandably quite a popular venue, what do you expect? Once seated however, we began a journey of wondrous flavour combinations with the assistance of absolutely wonderful, knowledgeable staff. The pulled pork and gruyere doughnuts? Add a little of the tabasco or chipotle sauce and they're worth fighting over. The charcuterie selection was a great mix of flavours, the rabbit, pork and black garlic terrine was amazing especially if you added a little of the madeira jelly that came with the chicken liver parfait. Mmmmmm....
I don't particularly like mussels but with a feast like this it's worth trying everything. And their mussels were definitely worth it! The light fennel and Pernod broth the mussels were cooked in was just divine and I found myself going back to the pot for mussels several times. The waiter even brought us more bread and offered us some spoons to help mop up the last of the broth; believe me, it's rich but you'll want to drain every last drop.
Definitely try their pomme frites - I'm almost certain they're fried in goose or duck fat they have such a rich scent, delectable flavour and crunch. The pork belly roulade is some of the best pork belly I've ever had and the marmalade style cumquat relish it comes with is the perfect balance for the salty, fatty pork.
We did get served even more dishes off the menu but those were definitely the highlights for me and it's worth trying their non-alcoholic drinks; Hell's lemonade and dixie cooler will be perfect drinks over summer - not too sweet but extremely refreshing.
Upshot is, go. If you enjoy French flavours and interesting combinations go there now. Today.Tomorrow. Every day that you can. Trust me, you'll thank me later.