“Enjoyable food”

Ranked #12 of 333 Restaurants in Fitzroy
Price range: US$9 - US$16
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Neighbourhood: Fitzroy
Description: Food for the Mind, Body & Soul. Since 1988, The Vegie Bar has provided Melbourne with a vibrant, wholesome and abundant selection of vegan & vegetarian food in the bustling heart of Fitzroy. Made with fresh & natural plant-based ingredients.
Reviewed 16 March 2018 via mobile

My first visit to the Vegie Bar. The food was enjoyable and the atmosphere quite pleasant. The service was good , though I thought it unusual that the starters were brought to the table at the same time as the mains.

Reviewed 12 March 2018 via mobile

I had visited this the Vegi bar many years ago and had enjoyed my experience much so decided to take some friends there to enjoy the atmosphere and the interesting dishes that they had on the menu.
This cafe now restaurant had changed significantly since my last visit and I left 2 hours later feeling a little deflated and disappointed.
There was a very long wait to be seated even though I had called through earlier to make a booking.
Once seated it at least 20 minutes before our orders were taken.
The meals finally arrived and were incorrect so two plates had to be recorded and represented which took another 30 minutes to arrive.
Had to remind the rushed waitress that our drinks had been forgotten also.
The fare was ok but nothing special.
Our table was then ready for another booking so we were hurried along.
So decided to order coffee after we had been asked to leave our table.
Take away was the only option so we ordered 3 coffees which prolonged my agony still waiting and waiting-Coffee order was incorrect!!! Sugar in 2 of the 3 that was not requested and at nearly $5 each this left a “sour taste in my mouth”
This used to be a incredible alternative cafe/restaurant with friendly staff and quality well priced food.

I really believe the reason behind all these issues and negative reviews from from many other contributors is because the Vegi Bar has enjoyed so much success over time it has become too busy for its own good.
The place is packed and no tables are available and even if you prebook you still have to wait.
Waitresses/Waiters/barstaff are so overwhelmed they cannot keep up and mistakes are made.
Customers are ushered in and out on a timed bases to accomodate more customers.
This cafe/restaurant must enjoy an excellent income generated by the turnover of customers and the price of the fare however the enjoyable dining experience is diminished due to its own success.
Very loud and buzzing atmosphere but friendliness and timing of service has a lot to be desired.
Won’t be back here in hurry as there are many much better establishments within a five minute Stroll of Brunswick Street.
✅✅

4  Thank DrPhillipAndrews
Reviewed 5 March 2018 via mobile

Went here while visiting recently. Really felt like something super healthy and tasty, and was not disappointed.

Had the Buddha bowl and a peppermint tea , was absolutely yum!

Really busy with a very diverse menu!

Reviewed 28 February 2018

The Vegie Bar is great for anyone, you don't have to be vegetarian. Delicious meals and nice drinks. Cool vibe too.
I am not vegan but I can safely say their vegan burger is delicious!

Reviewed 26 February 2018 via mobile

Three of us went on a Monday night. The place was full, but we managed to get a table. There were lots of interesting dishes on the menu, and our dishes were all yummy. Fresh veges. Nice sauces. Lovely drinks. And good service.