“Lovely place to celebrate my Hen Do!”
Review of Horse and Groom

Horse and Groom
Price range: US$13 - US$67
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: With all the laidback charm of a true Cotswolds country pub, at the Horse and Groom we pride ourselves on our friendly service, award-winning food and drink and sumptuous B&B accommodation in individually styled bedrooms. Located in the heart of Bourton on the Hill, here you can retreat for a leisurely meal, stop by for a drink and stay over for a relaxing break. Our light and airy bar is well stocked with real ales and wines and the beautifully restored dining room, with its log fire blazing in the winter makes a welcoming setting in which to enjoy our exquisite classic British cuisine with a modern twist.
Reviewed 9 August 2017

This is a really nice pub. I had been here many times before and wanted my friends to come for a lovely Sunday lunch and to also celebrate my hen weekend. The staff here were so helpful, they gave us a little area for the 15 of us and the food came at the same time and everything was organised perfectly. Thank you so much, we had a lovely afternoon and the food was yet again absolutely excellent.

Reviewed 8 August 2017

allways when we visited the Horse and Groom we had an excellent lunch and Service in the cosy Pub. The kitchen is perfect and very nice guests. You could also sit outside in the beautiful garden.

Reviewed 5 August 2017

I actually wanted a button between average & very good - this place isn't average - it is good but not yet very good.
The current owners have had the place since Nov 2016 & are really friendly & open to feedback.
We ate here with friends, one of whom is a wheelchair user, & on booking they were quick to tell us that the ladies isn't disabled accessible. Thats fine, as long as we know beforehand.
Our table was roomy & the decor/environment is really nice.
The food was very tasty but the portions were very small, so much so that after my main I was still hungry, & when a tiny portion of pudding arrived I commented to the waitress, who immediately apologised & went & got us double portions. That was fine, but the food is expensive & to then serve such tiny portions definitely isn't on.
The food however was without exception very tasty & well cooked & the service & staff friendly & welcoming.
I'm not sure whether the owners are aiming for gastropub - in which case their prices are way too high, or restaurant - in which case the prices are still too high & the environment doesn't quite cut it as a dedicated restaurant.
A sirloin steak for example is £24.95 - my husband commented that he would hesitate to pay that at a restaurant he knew could cook it properly & definitely wouldn't pay that at one he didn't know.
I think maybe a bit more juggling with portions & prices is required - but the basics - the food - is very good & we enjoyed our meals.
We would happily visit again in a few months to see how things are going.

4  Thank Ducatibabe
Reviewed 3 August 2017

Phoned around 5.30 on a Friday night - rather late, but man on phone said he could fit us in at 6.30, would move chairs and tables around. Arrived at set time to find very few people in restaurant, with about the same number when we left. Were seated at a very wonky grease stained table between two sets of stairs, one of which was in continuous use by staff.
I ordered chicken, husband ordered lamb cutlets. Order came to table surprisingly promptly. Chicken OK, except for hard bits of pancetta. Husband making heavy weather of his dish - difficult to cut and to find any meat. Man on bar (manager?) came up and asked how it was. I replied my chicken was OK, but husband having trouble with his dish. Man shrugged his shoulders, said, "Oh well." And...vanished!!!
When I later had a closer look at husband's plate I was stunned to see... what? A large slab of bone that in no way on earth resembled a lamb cutlet. ( Later research has shed little light on its identity. I could find no photo that resembled it, and I think it's because it was not a cut of meat, but a BONE, like those that might be consigned to the dog bone tray. Goodness knows what it was doing in the kitchen.)
When waitress was clearing plates I asked her if the restaurant butchered their own meat, or bought it already separated into cuts. She replied it was already cut up, and said she would let the chef know we were unhappy. I said it looked as though someone was ripping off the restaurant if they were paying cutlet prices for bones. ( I know who was being ripped off!)
Shortly thereafter manager appeared and asked what was the trouble. We told him and he retorted that I had said all was good. I replied that I had said mine was OK but I had told him husband's wasn't. I added that what he had been served were not cutlets.
Well...the tirade began. "You're Australian! I'm South African! This is how it is in England! I've eaten at restaurants all around the world!" ( Implying that the yokel colonials hadn't). He continued in this extraordinary vein, then moved off to another table, leaving us to wonder whether the chef might be a prankster, as no qualified chef would cook and serve what were obviously items intended for the bin.
This manager was defending the indefensible, and one can only conclude that he must be both ignorant and incompetent, ill-qualified for his job.
Foolishly, we paid for all of this meal, asking ourselves later, "Why didn't we just walk out?" We were lambs to the slaughter, well and truly FLEECED!
Incidentally, the young wait staff were polite and efficient.

5  Thank Follymerely
Reviewed 2 August 2017

We have been regular but infrequent visitors to the Horse and Groom over the last few years and were so confident in the standard set by the Greenstocks that we didn't bother to check on recent reviews-BIG mistake. As soon as we entered the pub we sensed things had changed, no Will Greenstock presiding over front of house, restaurant half empty on a Saturday night and a gentleman at the bar complaining his beer was off. Things didn't improve with with very average meal including a starter of grilled sardines which was presented as a large slab of bread with about a third of one sardine on top - I kid you not! Appalling. I then ordered a glass of chenin blanc but charged £8.75 for a glass of sauvignon blanc. We will not be returning

7  Thank richardbrchll