“Fun!”

Bandicoot Bicycle Tours
Reviewed 10 November 2011

This was a laugh from beginning to end! We hadn't been on bicycles for quite a few years....so as you can imagine, we had a wobbly start!....AND end!

Reviewed 21 December 2007

We went on this tour on October 26th. There were three of us, my partner, one of my best friends and me. We were the only ones on the tour so Dave, the owner of the company gave us a choice of a couple of different places that we could go. We opted for the Atherton Tablelands (I actually don't remember the other choice). I think the drive took a little over an hour to get there but Dave was entertaining and we were having fun the whole way.

Once there, Dave would stop at certain places and let us off with the bikes (which were all fitted to our heights. He actually got all of our heights when I booked the tour with him, so he made sure that he had the right size bikes) and tell us where to ride, then let us go. He would meet us with the van at the end of each ride. Most of the rides were fairly easy and all sealed roads. The cool breeze and sounds of the rainforest were so relaxing. After a couple of rides, we stopped for lunch (which was included) at a roadside cafe/market. It was actually really good. Then after lunch, we drove around and did a few more rides and stopped to see a few beautiful waterfalls, including the wonderful milaa milaa falls (which is famous). The last ride we did was the most challenging, as there was a big uphill at the end. Dave was there to pick anyone up who couldn't make it (and I won't say who made it and who didn't....).

On the way back to Cairns, Dave showed us a few of the things that tourists don't really get to see much. He showed us where the aboriginals actually live in tents out in the bush. It was a sad slice of reality. The country has not been very kind to it's original inhabitants and we had a long discussion about that on the way back to our hotel. We did a lot of tours on our trip to Australia and this was definitely one of the best!

7  Thank altermood
Reviewed 10 October 2007

Dave of Bandicoot Bicycle Tours was the perfect host. I hadn't ridden a bike for a couple of years and he was very friendly and patient. He let us ride at our own pace and would pick us up when we were ready for a rest. He took us to several beautiful waterfalls and even took our pictures. By the end of the day, with his encouragement, I was one of the strongest riders in the group. He was fun and informative to talk to. We had a wonderful ride and an overall great day. I would definitely recommend Bandicoot and would not consider going with any other bicycle tour company.

3  Thank britepa
Reviewed 5 August 2007

We went on this tour at the end of our trip and we were quite tired, and it was a good tour because it was relaxed and very easy. If you want to spend the day on a bike exploring the region, then you will be disappointed since you spend quite some time on the bus. If you want to tour the Atherton Tablelands and see the sights with a difference, then it is a good tour. First you will drive to the Atherton Tablelands (around 1.5 hour drive), get your gear and then during the day you hop on and hop off the bus for several short and easy (mostly downhill) rides on your bike. You stick to sealed road (very little traffic) so it is really easy. You will get to see lake Eacham (and hopefully some turtles), three of the waterfalls (lovely) and the giant curtain fig tree (quite impressive). Lunch is included (it is at a roadside café, and actually it is quite good).
There was a family with teenagers on the tour with us, and they really enjoyed it, it is a good tour for teenagers.

5  Thank elo75
See more reviews
Reviewed 27 August 2006

Dave runs a bicycle tour in the scenic rainforest hills above Cairns. You do a series of short trips (I think there were 7 in all) and none were long and none were terribly hard. You explore jungle trees and wildlife and waterfalls and can choose to swim in a volcanic crater lake . Be aware that the trips only run M - F and that he doesn't take credit cards. This was an adventure really enjoyed by us and by my teenage children. Highly recommended!

8  Thank saccuch