“Certainly not fancy, but fine for an overnight”
Review of Cosmopolitan Hotel

Cosmopolitan Hotel
Cosmopolitan Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Blairmore B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 August 2012

We booked on a Friday night for a Saturday night stay (we stayed the 11th of August) - other hotels and B&Bs were booked and unavailable. We were going to Blairmore to play the golf course Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning. I was quite concerned about what this place would be like from the 2 previous reviews.

Turns out we would stay in this hotel again.

To be clear this is an old school tavern, a brick building. As I rate this hotel it is not being rated against a Holiday Inn or a Sandman. I am rating the hotel based on comfort, cleanliness and price paid. I certainly did not expect to find underfloor heating in the bathroom or "hotel" decor.

The lobby is at the back of the pub area and smells like a tavern (beer and whatever else makes up that smell, I'd rather not dissect the smell). We checked in at 9:45 pm and it was just fine. The guy checking us in was friendly and helpful. This is a decidely low tech place with our reservation written in a book and our receipt hand written as well. Nonetheless check in was quick and painless.

We were assigned room 209, second floor furthest away from the pub. This is a small room with a queen bed, one bedside table and lamp and on the otherside a table with coffee machine and coffee and suger etc. The window looked out to the side street where we parked our chariot. There was an air conditioner in one window - it worked fine and the other window opened. There was a desk, chair and lamp at the other end of the room and a fine bathroom. Tub, toilet and sink were in good repair and clean.

Sheets and towels were white and in good repair. The towels were nice and soft.

In my opinion carpets and comforters in hotel rooms are always sketchy. I am suspect of all of them no matter how classy the hotel. No exception here. Though to be honest they did not appear dirty or worn.

I do understand that people travelling on business expecting a certain level of hotel would be disappointed in this hotel, and it is not a romantic getaway location either, but for a couple looking for an inexpensive place to stay for golf or other activities I can recommend it.

Room Tip: I would request room 209 again because I know it is fine and also furthest away from the tavern.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Jacalope

Reviewed 20 August 2011

The hotel itself building wise has a nice old charm to the outside... if you can get past the dirty exterior and rather shady characters coming and going. We were booked in with two others by our company (assuming the guys in toronto just booked the first listing they found) and ALL of us had nothing good to say about the place.

The service was horrible, and we were told that the staff vacated the building at 2am when the bar closed ... so if we worked past 2am we would be locked out. They were practically impossible to pull answers out of and eventually we all just gave up.

The room was on the surface clean, but with a 30+ year old bed that gave you a backache just looking at it, bedding that was so worn it had holes, and a first edition air-conditioner that blew hot air and sounded like a jet engine... it was horrific! The room had been recently (within days) painted, and since the windows were sealed shut there was a really bad chemical smell.

Next time we'll shell out the extra money to stay somewhere better, that is IF the company ever makes that mistake again... which I doubt they will after we all complained!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank emommy4
Reviewed 20 July 2011

Had reservation but after walking past shady characters smoking on steps and checking into bar where one was to get room info, I asked to see room. Hallways dingy and smelled of smoke and all rooms had doors open- no other guests. I did not feel comfortable leaving motorcycle behind hotel and asked to cancel reservation. It did appear clean.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Fearlessmsla
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blairmore
BCMInns - Coleman
York Creek Bed & Breakfast
Paddock Inn
Paddock Inn
#1 of 2 in Coleman

Been to Cosmopolitan Hotel? Share your experiences!