“Can't complain overall very good”
Review of Claregalway Hotel

Claregalway Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Claregalway
Reviewed 3 August 2017

Just after reading the last available review of this hotel. Would strongly agree with what this reviewer said. We really enjoyed our stay. Food in the bar and breakfast was very good. The layout of the rooms is indeed strange, it leaves very little privacy. I would also agree that the carpet up to the first floor needs replacing, wouldn't be a big job surely and would make a much better 1st impression. All the staff we met were very good. Check in and out was very quick and all on reception were friendly and helpful. Would stay again

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

Good Afternoon irishtraveller74,
Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your feedback. We are currently undergoing bedrooms refurbishment and will be changing all our public area carpets also which we are all really excited about.
We hope to welcome you back to us in the future to see our ongoing improvements.
Kindest Reagrsd,
Managing Director.

Reviewed 2 August 2017 via mobile

Have recently returned from our 4th visit here, have obviously enjoyed it previously as we kept going back but think this may be our last stay. Rooms are lovely, food is lovely but my problem arises as I am in a wheelchair. Bedroom is perfect with wet room, grab rails etc. Just don't feel I fit in the main public area, the bar. There were always high tables and stools but there were a couple of low tables too. Not many but they were there. Now only in reception or the food area. I like the chance to sit with friends or even just my partner in the buzz of the bar, on the same level. Not him/them on high stools and me way below, having to either balance my drink in my hand or get someone to pass it back and forward to the table for me. Also very hard to be part of any conversation in that position. Really feel that latest update of bar is not for staying guests but for to get the young and trendy crowd in. I understand that revenue is probably needed outside of residents but think a hotel bar should be welcoming for all. Actual spent most of our time in the evenings in the neighbouring hotel because I wasn't out of place there.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Petrenab

Hi Petrenab,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to let us know of your experience with us.
I am sorry to hear that you felt the bar was not welcoming to your needs.
As you have mentioned, we have made every effort in public areas, restaurant, the bedrooms and accessible bathrooms but may have fallen short in our bar. We do have lower tables for our guests to enjoy but perhaps on busy nights these go fast.
I hope that this has not put you off coming back to visit us again. Please contact me directly at fom@claregalwayhotel.ie if you are planning a future trip to Galway.
Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 1 August 2017

Stayed here on Sunday 30th July 2017. Parking is free and is out front. Check in was prompt and handled very professionally (as was check out). Having read some less than favourable reviews we were a bit worried, but we needn’t have concerned ourselves. We were assigned a very nice room on the first floor, which had a communal balcony which seemed to run around the perimeter of the first floor. There was a patio door onto the balcony, but no other window, so if you felt the room was a bit too warm there was no option but to the open the sliding door, which could pose a security risk. The room itself was large and clean, well equipped with hospitality tray (and biscuits!), and an in-room safe. The bathroom, whilst a little tired looking, was clean and well stocked with towels. They had the squeezy bottle toiletries attached to the wall, which we are not fond of as they are a terrible nuisance, but we usually bring our own soap so that wasn’t a problem. Television was a really decent size, there was plenty of desk space, and Wi-Fi was good. I used the Leisure Centre, and the pool was just super – towels provided without any hassle, but might it be an idea for the hotel to install those squeezy bottle shampoo/shower gel dispensers in the showers? We had a comfortable sleep, despite it being a bit noisy from the bar area downstairs. Breakfast was very good, plenty of choice and it was great to see fried eggs on offer beside the scrambled variety. Usually fried eggs have to be asked for, but not here. We were also asked before we sat down to breakfast whether we wanted tea or coffee. This meant no waiting around for somebody to come and ask, it arrived at our table very quickly after we were seated. The breakfast room was bright and airy, but it also needs a bit of a touch up. Staff are very pleasant, and there were just a few niggles – stair carpet needs replacing or repairing as it was badly frayed on several steps. Also our room (and I suppose any of the rooms facing out onto the communal balcony area) could so with net curtains or blinds as we had to keep our curtains closed whilst getting dressed. This made the room dark and we had to turn the lights on in the middle of the day. All in all we had a very good experience here, we highly recommend this hotel and will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DubTwosome
Management response:Responded 8 September 2017

Thank you DubTwosome for your review of your recent stay.
I am glad you see you enjoyed your stay and candid feedback and valid points to improve future stays.
We hope to welcome you back to Claregalway Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 1 August 2017

Appalling customer service, unorganised, chaotic, staff under-pressure, extremely poor communication skills, mediocre meal - all on Monday night of the Galway Races 2017. Poor start to an iconic festival. Would absolutely not recommend to anyone. Steer well clear.

Room Tip: Don't stay!!
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank 12345asdfg2017
Reviewed 19 July 2017

we stayed on the 13th of july, check-in was great, room very spacious and comfortable, dinner was good too, but breakfast was a massive disaster. Although we were told that the breakfast is very good and is until 10am. But when we arrived for breakfast on the next day at 9.15am, it looks like a storm just happened, EVERY SINGLE TABLE WAS DIRTY. we were shown to take a seat at a dirty table by the host, it looks like we were going to have our breakfast close to the bins as we were surrounded by loads of dirty tables full of leftovers from the previous guest that had their breakfast already. She asked us if we would have tea/coffee which we answered coffee but it didn't came after like 25 mins. we were still waiting for about 15-20 mins for somebody to atleast set up our table so that we could eat but it didn't happened up until she saw us still standing in the middle of dirty tables. The buffet seems empty at 9.30am, no rotation of fresh food coming, we asked the person in charge who was the duty manager as well, if we could get some pastries, we were told that it will take 5-10 mins to make them again, which was fine with us, but that pastry never came. he completely forgot of our pastries until we were going back to our room. He kept on saying 5 more minutes while he saw us leaving the room. We had our breakfast which was couple of sausages and eggs for me, for my wife a yogurt and an apple, my daughter just ate couple of bites of chocopops. I mean if thats only if could find on the breakfast buffet, instead of paying for breakfast, we could just go to the Centra opposite the hotel and we would get better choices and we would be atleast full before we left the place. There was no leadership of who is doing want during that service, nobody had a clue of what do do except from bringing coffee and maybe cleaning tables. while we were leaving the place, we saw other guest getting poached eggs, do we have to stay another 2-3 days to find out that we can have a choice of how we would like our eggs to be done? why were we not told other it when we sat down? why while having 4-5 waiters/ess around, can somebody direct them of what they should be doing or telling customers about how the breakfast works?
thank god that we were in a rush while we were checking out and the poor receptionist had to hear that from us, or else i would sit down with the head of that department and explain to him/her about our breakfast. Completely ruined our stay despite our check in, dinner, room was up to the point. What a disgrace.

Room Tip: any one i assume would be good, but the wifi signal is very poor throughout the place
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
6  Thank kamilajaga
Management response:Responded 28 July 2017

Good Morning Kamilajaga,
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us.
I am deeply disappointed to hear about your breakfast experience and very concerned about the issues you have raised.
I am aware on the day you came down to breakfast that we had a large tour group depart just before so the restaurant had not been reset. I know this is not an excuse and that our other leisure customers should not suffer because of this.
All the points you have made have been noted and discussed with our head chef and restaurant manager.
Again, thank you for bringing this to our attention, without customer feedback we cannot identify our shortcomings and make improvements on our customer service.
I am happy to hear you find the other elements of your stay enjoyable.
If you would like to contact me directly, please do not hesitate on fom@claregalwayhotel.ie.
Kindest Regards,

Managing Director

Also consider these accommodations in or near Claregalway
0.2 km away
9.1 km away
Nox Hotel
Nox Hotel
#10 of 46 in Galway

Been to Claregalway Hotel? Share your experiences!