All reviews thatched cottage scones tea shop wash basin in the room shared toilet and shower tea garden cream tea single room donkey sanctuary some tlc short drive long weekend yogurt car park tim sidmouth bed
Reviewed 30 October 2017

I found Southern Cross with little difficulty, the turning into the car park came with little warning and I would advise a slow drive when close. The guest house itself had plenty of character, being a thatched cottage, with plenty of photos and paintings in the dining room. Despite arriving quite late in the evening, I was expected and greeted pleasantly.

The room was comfortable if a little cosy. I was however in a single room and there was enough space to move around with a wash basin in the room. The breakfast was very good and the poached eggs were some of the best I've had.

For anyone visiting I would highly recommend a visit to the donkey sanctuary close by.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
Timothy F, Owner at Southern Cross Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2017

thank you for your review glad you enjoyed your stay

Reviewed 19 October 2017

A beautiful old thatched cottage, on the main road so easy to find. Some traffic noise but not all night. Stayed two nights in the single room so a small bed but comfy enough. Shared shower and separate toilet but never had to wait for anyone else. Good facilities in room - washbasin, tv, kettle with tea, coffee etc. and a heater in case it got cold. Ample plug sockets for charging all my devices. Free wifi, plenty of free parking. Good choice at breakfast - cereal, yogurt, fresh strawberries, toast, porridge, cooked breakfast. It's not fancy and could do with a spruce up but it was the best price I could find in the area and I would happily stay again.

Room Tip: single room is at the back overlooking the garden rather than the road, so quieter
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
Timothy F, Owner at Southern Cross Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2017

Thank you for your review ,glad you enjoyed your stay it's that time of year again when the rooms do need some redecorating

Reviewed 30 September 2017

I spent two nights at the beginning of September. It is a lovely quaint old thatched cottage.The room was very comfortable and tastefully decorated. Breakfast was nicely cook to order.The Donkey Sanctuary is a short drive away and so is Sidmouth. A short walk from the guest home is a pub which does very reasonably priced good evening meals.The hosts were very pleasant and I shall definitely stay again if I am in the area.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Timothy F, Owner at Southern Cross Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2017

Thank you glad you enjoyed your stay with us ,and glad you liked the surrounding area

Reviewed 15 September 2017

Hospitality was good. Breakfast was good but with little choice.
Room was cramped but had everything needed. Ensuite had shower and toilet. Washbasin was in the bedroom.
Quite noisy as on a main A road.
Easy to find.

Room Tip: Try and get a room with a complete en suite
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Timothy F, Owner at Southern Cross Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2017

Reviewed 10 September 2017

I understand completely that this is an old, traditional, thatched roofed cottage and it may not suit all tastes but I was completely underwhelmed by my whole experience of this b&b.

We arrived in the late afternoon and couldn't see any proper signs for checking in, it was only when we stumbled upon a man seemingly sat watching TV in his living room and after a rather awkward greeting that we were told we could check in with him.

We were led to our room (which was on the opposite side of the building to the one shared toilet and shower for approximately 4-6 rooms...) and entered a rather drab interior with a small, unsturdy looking bed and funny smell.

After removing a couple of bugs from our room we settled down for the night and did sleep okay but I was just generally uncomfortable with the overall cleanliness and smell of the place.

Breakfast was okay but it was a rather quick exit that we made from this stay...

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Timothy F, Owner at Southern Cross Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2017

Sorry you felt uncomfortable with us not having a reception but it's not worth having a full time receptionist for 5 rooms and i was just watching television whilst i waited for you to arrive.
This time of year we have the windows open to air the rooms and the occasional insect can fly into the rooms as well as the country air which sometimes is not so fresh we will rethink the opening of windows in future.