Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
1,048 results
All reviews mash and barrel outdoor pool on site papa johns prestige caravan live lounge evening entertainment holiday park mini golf woodland walk central heating entertainment team aerial adventure my son entertainment complex book activities great caravan
Selected filters
Reviewed 29 July 2021

Our holiday was booked for over a year and we were booked for a 'stay and play' from the 23rd July - 30th July.. My mother-in-law booked the holiday for her and her son and we planned to stay from the 24th to 30th. However, after arriving on the 24th we left on the 28th. My mother and brother in-law are leaving a day early on the 27th.

Covid Restrictions:

Whilst I fully understand and appreciate that we are still in the midst of a pandemic, it appeared that Quay West were wholly unprepared to be open during restrictions. We were told that there was an app on the phone where we would need to book swimming, tables for the restaurant and any activities. However, as soon as we got onto the app, EVERYTHING was fully booked. My mother-in-law queried this with reception prior to us leaving and we were told that there was nothing that they could do and that we just had to get on with it. My mother-in-law then contacted head office to explain that she had purchased a 'stay and play' holiday but that we couldn't do anything due to the booking system. A staff member at head office explained that this should not be the case and that we should have priority due it being a 'stay and play' holiday and assured her that he would contact reception and inform them of this.
My mother-in-law contacted reception the following day who told us that there was no priority booking but that we could book seating at the restaurant, entertainment venue and any activities each day. She also said that she would book us in for the entertainment on the Saturday evening and dinner on the Friday evening. However, on Friday there was no table reserved for dinner and we were turned away from the evening entertainment on the Saturday evening due to no booking appearing. My mother-in-law stood with the manager on the Saturday evening who booked us in for Sunday, but to our surprise again, come Sunday there was no booking. Had it not been for one of the entertainers who had been stood with my mother-in-law when she booked in, we would not have been able to attend the entertainment.
On the Sunday afternoon we asked the entertainment venue whether there was space for us as we could see multiple tables available, only to be told that there was no space.

Swimming:

Trying to book swimming was horrendous. If you were unable to book a session (which became sold out as soon as they were live on the app), then you had to wait to see if people hadn't shown up before they let you in. This was especially difficult with a three year old who didn't fully understand why we had to wait for 10 minutes after everyone had gone into the pool and who would have to get into a swim suit every day to then be turned away on most occasions. Yet, when we were able to get into swimming, there were only four families within the pool (including my own).

Furthermore, the splash pad and outdoor pool was never on, even when we had scorching weather.

Using the app on Tuesday, I booked my family in for a swim session at 1pm. However, when we attended we were told that the app had only booked one of our party in (even though the app is for the whole party). I queried this as I have used the app before to book our first swim session, but was told it was what it was and that we would have to wait to see if a family did not turn up.

Activities:

Quay West is in the middle of nowhere and there is literally nothing to do on a rainy day. The park benefits from some activities, such as a trampoline, pottery painting, a small park, segways and tree top adventures. However, despite the trampoline activities stating they were sold out, on multiple occasions I waited at the allocated activity time to see if they were running and only twice did I see one child on it. Likewise for segway, which I didnt see on once.
The pottery painting was the only thing that we could get our three year old on, which was nice, however they only allowed two families in at once which meant that the activity quickly sold out.
There was no option on the activity page of the app to book the tree top adventures, so yet again we were unable to do this.
The park is very small and children appeared to bore of it very quickly. With the amount of children at the park, it was difficult for my three year old to get on much every time we visited the park.

Staff:

The staff were one of the biggest issues at the park, with a lot of them being unprofessional and clearly fed up with their jobs. The only members of staff who appeared to remain professional and polite were the children's entertainers and most of the swimming staff members. I fully understand the stresses involved with being a worker during covid restrictions, I am a key worker myself as is my husband, and I fully appreciate the stress involved when you are short staffed, as again, we have both been there. However, I have never dealt with so many unprofessional members of staff in one place before and I feel that it is important to highlight this issue as this is one thing that made us leave our holiday early.

Restaurant staff - On our first night at the restaurant we could see our drinks sat on the side of the bar with all staff chatting with each other or with customers. Unfamiliar with the restrictions that the restaurant had put in place, my mother in law went up to the bar to ask if it was okay if we took the drinks over to our table ourselves. My mother-in-law is a softly spoken, non-confrontational person who was very polite when she asked. However, a female member of staff (who I believe was the restaurant manager) replied by shouting at my mother-in-law and telling her that she could not take the drinks as it was table service only and that she needed to be patient and wait. My mother-in-law apologized and returned to our table upset. This also upset my three year old who is quite sensitive around shouting, arguing and loud noises.

We decided to return to the restaurant the following morning for breakfast (which you don't have to book for some reason), in the hope that we would miss the 'manager'. Unfortunately, the same lady was there, so I decided to take lead due to the upset caused the evening before. I politely asked another member of staff whether we could have a table for breakfast, however the manager clicked her fingers at me to get my attention before abruptly stating 'you can have a table but there are only four of us doing 10 peoples jobs, so it takes as long as it takes'. Taken aback a little, I nodded and asked whether they had the capacity (baring in mind we were the only customers present), however she did not answer me and instead turned to a member of staff who was stood just off to our right and said 'Manuel, can you show these customers to a table?' to which the waiter replied 'No, not really'. Again, surprised by this, we said little and followed the waiter as he huffed and puffed, whining about the hours he had worked that week.
The waiter was incredibly difficult to speak with, talking over us and telling us that we didn't understand how tired he was when we ordered our food. Furthermore, we were sat in the shade with three other tables available. My mother-in-law had parked her mobility scooter next to the table behind us due to there being little space available and her walking being quite poor. However, the lady who had shouted at her the evening prior wandered over with a couple and told her to move the scooter as she wanted to place the couple at the table. Yet, there were two other tables in the same area that were empty with the same amount of chairs available. The couple stated that they were happy to sit at the other table, but the manager stated 'no' before storming off.

On another occasion my mother-in-law had popped into the restaurant to ask whether they had any tables available that evening and was turned away. My husband then went into the restaurant to book in another evening when a family in front were offered a table for 6.30 pm. Taken aback by this my husband asked the waiter why he had turned his mother away when she had asked not five minutes before. The waiter stated that they only had capacity for 21 tables and already had 80 people booked in for that evening. Looking about the room, my husband noted that five tables were taken and that was it. We were booked in after this and throughout the time that we were having food 6:15 to 8pm, only 13 tables were taken including ours.

Entertainment staff - Whilst the entertainers were lovely and lively, the rest of the staff were not. When we had asked about the booking that their manager had made (politely) a member of staff snapped that 'if theres no booking then thats that'. I explained that their manager had said that she would be working that evening and that if there were any issues she said to speak to her, however the staff member shrugged her shoulders and told us tough. Luckily, an entertainer had been there when the manager had booked us in and we were able to get in because she could back us up.

Member of staff behind arcade shop - Before leaving we decided to take our little one to the arcade to see how many tickets he had and what we could get him for the journey back. I stood at the shop counter waiting for the member of staff to reappear as she had just left and entered the arcade. Assuming that she had gone to fix a machine, I waited patiently for her to come back. When she did wander back with another member of staff, instead of acknowledging I was there she turned her back to me and instead stood speaking with the staff member she was with and another member of staff. They then walked back into the arcade, making eye contact with me like we were teenagers in high school. Again, I waited for a few moments before I could see them wandering back and so decided to approach them to ask if the shop was open. The female staff members rolled her eyes once more before sighing and telling me that she would be there in a minute.

Cleanliness:

Considering that we are in the middle of a pandemic and that you couldn't possibly book into a restaurant that is empty due to COVID, the cleanliness of the park is abysmal.
There is no soap in the soap dispensers in the bathrooms, no hand sanitizer in the automatic dispensers and I saw 0 evidence of staff cleaning arcade equipment. People were allowed to be shoulder to shoulder with others whilst using arcade equipment and wrappers/empty bottles were still in the same place as they were the night before.
The toilets were dirty and the swimming pool changing rooms stank of urine every time we went in.

WIFI and phone signal:

There is no WIFI available to the caravans, and is only available at the main complex. Even then it is flaky and you get kicked out a few times. Phone signal is awful, of the four people within my party who have phones and are on different networks, none of us had signal. We found this especially worrisome as there was no means of contacting emergency services should you require them.
The park tells you to book activities on the app, yet you can't access it without going down to the main complex.

In conclusion:

It appears that the park is severely understaffed and unprepared. If you have children, particularly young ones, I'd advise not taking them. My three year old was bored out of his mind all holiday.
The arcade is tiny, the pool is 'fully booked', the staff are horrendously rude and there are 0 activities to book onto. The park is in a remote location and there is nothing to do outside of the park unless you travel for over an hour.

My family and I are non-confrontational and understood that staff were stressed out due to low staff levels. Whilst I would understand the attitudes of staff members if we had been rude towards them, we tried to remain kind and polite throughout each experience and were spoken to in an appalling manner.

All in all, I would never visit this site ever again.

Room tip: Prestige caravan is definitely worth the extra money.
3  Thank Allysha M
Reviewed 28 July 2021

Holiday booked from Monday 26th July -Monday 2nd Aug , This holiday was a break that was booked for last year that was moved to this year due to covid. January time I received an email to say that Haven holidays were being changed to a stay (Haven Hideaway) or a haven stay and play which enables use of all facilities our holiday had automatically been put to a stay and play as we had kids on our booking we wanted to use the facilities so all good so far. Getting closer to our arrival and seeing lots of things online about booking and after a lot of online research I had found out that all activities , restaurants and show bars had to be booked in advance . This was found out by my own research never been told by haven. Restaurants were open to book from 14 days before our arrival, as were the show bar, swimming was 7 days before arrival. 14 days before I logged onto my haven app as I was told to to book a meal for our arrival night only to be shown on the app that the restaurant was fully booked for breakfast , lunch and dinner.......not only for the first night but for the whole week! So first alarm bells were ringing as we were unable to to book in the onsite restaurant for the whole of our week stay. I booked an evening in the show bar and was told I could only book one night as the same for the swim slot I was only able to pre book one 60 minute slot for the whole of my holiday. After a long wait to customer service they assured me oh its fine we do this to stop people block booking and you will be able to book once you are onsite! We had pre booked a breakfast pack and grocery pack for a total of £50.00 so we could have some basics on arrival. The grocery packs were cancelled on us 2 days before and I am still waiting for a refund 5 days later. We had a 5 hour drive to Wales in the hope that all would be ok once there. On arrival check in was smooth and our van was ready. We had paid for the top platinum sea view with decking van at a cost of £1221.50. The vans location was about the only positive of this holiday. We had a nice view of quay west and the sea, the van had not been cleaned to high standards, my son finding kids balls, an earing on the decking on arrival and also not a very nice smell in the toilets but we were there to make the most of it. Having been to this park before and loved it we was keen to return but it was visible that this park has gone downhill over the covid period and not a lot of care has gone into this park to keep it to a high standard as previous years. On arrival I went to the activities desk as told to try to get my family at least one more swim slot for our stay (not a lot to ask after paying over 1000 for a week) I was told all swim slots were fully booked til Thursday but I could go back Tuesday morning and queue up to try and book from Thursday onwards. Tuesday morning I returned (missing my swim session with my family) and queued up in a massive line for over an hour to get another slot luckily I got one for Sunday am (so we got two hours swimming) for a whole week. I was one of the lucky ones some people were not able to get any. They are allowed 38 people in the pool at any session meaning that basically the pool is not big enough to accommodate all the vans on site. The outdoor pool and splash park was closed and work was being done to the surrounding areas this should of been done way before the summer school holidays. Haven states on their website that there is no need to book outdoor tables for the restaurant so we was hoping we would be able to have a meal or a drink, the tables were empty so we asked to be seated for a drink and lunch to be told sorry they were fully booked (there was one or two families eating the whole time i was there) the security team member said we could come back after 8.30 at night to try to get in for a beer this was 2pm in the afternoon , so basically you cannot get a drink on your holiday and you will be told they are fully booked but the tables will be empty. Booked activities were being cancelled as were free activities being cancelled too as they did not have enough staff to man them. My son went into a pottery session (paid for) which was due to start at 2pm, 10 minutes later two young teenage girls taking there time chatting away to each other strolled up to open up the pottery centre , they gave the kids basic instructions and they were left to there own devices while they sat out the back there was no interaction with the kids and my mum who sat with my son had a stranger offer to get pottery down off the shelves as he could not reach (not sure covid rules were adhered to here). Evening entertainment kids must remained seated at tables , I did not wait around for this as we left after the first night , we came away on the second day after an hour sitting with reception putting in a complaint. Reception manager admitted that they do not have enough team members or staff to run the place. I asked to see the manager of the park who was not on site , I asked to see a deputy manager which they did not have. The only manager was a reception manger who was helpful in the end but the poor reception team was dealing with complaint after complaint also all the other staff on site Haven should be ashamed of themselves. We expected a different holiday because of restrictions and covid but not to be able to eat in the restaurant have hardly any use of the pool , or even to be able to buy drink at the bar on your holiday is ridiculous if they have pre warned me I would have cancelled from the start. Two very upset kids.

Reviewed 27 July 2021 via mobile

We visited Haven Quay West from Friday 23rd July for 3 nights. We are pretty seasoned Haven holidaymakers and aside from during lockdown times have been on 2-3 Haven holidays every year around the UK for over 10 years now.

I’ll start with the good stuff. New Quay itself lovely and the park has fantastic views over the harbour. There is access down a fairly steep slope to a superb beach with plenty of room. The children’s play area on the park is good and the on-site shop is well stocked. The arcade is modern with lots of stuff to entertain the kids. Can’t comment on the pool or children’s entertainment as we didn’t use them.

Onto the not so good. We tend to like the nicer caravans and will always book Prestige or Platinum grade. We booked Prestige at Quay West but sadly our caravan was anything but. Upon check-in it was instantly obvious that the caravan had not been cleaned properly. I’d have been annoyed before Covid-19 but given the current circumstances caravans are supposed to have an extra tier of cleaning that didn’t happen to ours. There was food on the floor in several places (see photos), on chairs, cup marks on surfaces - overall just a really poor effort.

Now under the Haven ‘Cleanliness Guarantee’ if you find your caravan has not been cleaned to a high standard you can expect to receive a no quibble refund on your holiday. I reported the problem to Reception within an 30 minutes of checking in (well within the 4 hours specified within the Terms and Conditions) specifically mentioning the cleanliness guarantee, and as per the same terms a member of the clean team attended the caravan to inspect. The caravan was then given some further cleaning but there was no mention of the refund and the cleaning staff left. According to the terms, at this point we should have been advised that we were entitled to our refund and given the option to stay or go home - but they just left so the ‘Cleanliness Guarantee’ is a bit of a con - at least it certainly is here.

Aside from the cleaning issue the caravan is in really poor condition. Several of the doors wouldn’t close, one was hanging off hinges. In the bathroom the shower rail is broken and has been taped back together, which meant it couldn’t be adjusted whatsoever and was pointing downwards in against the wall, so the only way to shower was to crouch down underneath it and lean against the wall. What makes all this more frustrating is that we actually paid extra for this caravan under the ‘Choose Your Holiday Home’ scheme because the location looked good on the park. Suffice to say none of this caravans issues were shown in the photographs.

In all the years we’ve been visiting Haven parks around the UK we’ve never had to complain about the cleanliness or condition of a Prestige caravan, so it’s a shame we’ve had both issues on the same holiday, especially given the current circumstances. If you’re considering choosing your own holiday home at this park you might want to give ‘Gwent 62’ a wide berth.

Date of stay: June 2021
Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank graeme1978uk
Reviewed 25 July 2021

This is my fifth or six time at the caravan park I have never had to book 'stay and play just a holiday. This time booked for the 'stay and play and decided that because was going with 2 kids would pre book the activities before arrival. However I could not because they were non available . So called Haven that advised we could be upgraded to a prestige accommodation. (your on the stay now) The anticipation of the accommodation is just too much when we arrived it was awful. We paid 889.00 for 4 days to stay in a small crammed caravan with one toilet, oh and would you believe no towels . You need to be in a Platinum to get towels (shocking) £889.00 for the gas to run out on us and not be refilled until the next day. It was by far the worse accommodation, that I have ever stayed in , The restrictions are in place so that does make it difficult, why would the entertainment be finished at 8.15pm. I have no words wont be going to haven again- Now way its not value for money by any means

Room tip: you have to pay over the odds to get good accommodation- we payed 889 not worth it
Reviewed 23 July 2021

Jack Walters in the marsh is very helpful and friendly. He is very approachable and very knowledgeable on what is available and not and always eager to help. We had a celebration for my friends daughters birthday and he was keen bringing the cake out and happy to sing
Him and lowri made my friends daughters birthday celebration meal even better. Da Iawn Jack

Trip type: Travelled with family