Lowest prices for your stay
Hotels.com
View deal
PricelineUS$180
Hotel WebsiteUS$150
TravelocityUS$175
All reviews seafood restaurant resort bintan jellyfish activities
Selected filters
Reviewed 30 October 2012

At first I was really hesitant to book this resort because of the mixed reviews (both positive and negative) that I read here in TripAdvisor. But then I still decided to book this resort (for 5 people) due to time and budget constraints. My expectations were not that high before we went to this place, especially for a person who came from a country that has lots of beautiful beaches (The Philippines). But when I saw the beach, I was truly amazed. Not really the most perfect beach out there, but the place is quite astonishing. There came a point wherein we felt that we own the place, less tourists and ideal for me and my friends! It's better than Phuket (Kata, Karon and Patong) to be honest with you, and less people, more privacy! And mind you, we went there during the holiday last week (Hari Raya). The staff was very helpful although I must agree that the price of food there is quite expensive (very Singaporean!). Also, don't try the Spa in the hotel, very expensive and not worth it. Go to Oleh, Oleh for cheaper massage! Anyway, in general we really enjoyed our stay, especially the sunset and the sand!

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
3  Thank Liam R
Reviewed 21 October 2012

This is part of the Nirwana Gardens complex on the north coast of Bintan which involved an hour's ferry ride from Singapore. The complex is very much developed to a standard higher than the rest of the island with water treated to a good standard, a reliable electric supply and security around the resort.
We first went to Mayang Sari 10 years ago and were blown away at just how picturesque and idyllic it was. Returning after that time, we found that the beach, it's setting and the atmosphere were just as we remembered. The scenery in the bay is just perfect, with white sand, warm sea water at just the right depth for swimming, beautiful palm trees and well kept grounds, you couldn't wish for more. Mid-week, when we went, is best because it is quiet without the larger numbers from Singapore who come at the weekend. At times it feels like you have paradise to yourself. It really is a great place to relax and unwind. The weather is typically 30+ and generally a welcoming light breeze, although thunder storms occur every so often but are quickly over.
As reported by other reviewers, the chalets, whilst OK, are showing signs of wear and tear and the ravages of a tropical coastal climate. Everything worked in our chalet (do go for a sea view one for the best experience) and it was well serviced by the staff. Whilst the rooms have pretty much all you need, it doesn't pretend to be 5 star. The air conditioning was welcome on really hot days and we had no trouble with mosquitos although the room had a mosquito repelling device and they supplied some cream also. Whilst the room would have benefited from a refresh, we really didn't care because it was perfectly comfortable and the beach and surroundings just dominate the experience.
Breakfast is served in the central building of Mayang Sari and it to has splendid views over the beach and a virtually limitless choice. Fresh fruit, yoghurts, salads, cheeses, cooked items (full English without pork items of course), omelettes, pancakes, bread, cakes, pastries, cereals, juices and tea and coffee and for the more adventurous curries and local dishes.
The staff are all very friendly and so helpful and we felt very welcome from the moment we arrived. They also kindly arranged a transfer to another resort for us at the end of our stay.
There is a good range of restaurants in walking distance within Nirwana Gardens (or customers can use shuttle bus around the complex). Our favourite was the Japanese Restaurant although it was a little more expensive than the others.
There are organised excursions available for half or full days but these usually need to be booked at least one day in advance. Surprisingly, the receptionist in charge of excursions was not as enthusiastic and helpful as the rest of the staff. There are plenty of other sporting activities in the Complex, like archery, snorkelling, jet skiing, banana boat, canoeing or elephant shows and rides.
Whilst prices are more comparable to Singapore than the rest of Indonesia, they are still reasonable. We even tried the laundry service which was very good and cheap which is worth knowing if your luggage space is limited or you are in the middle of a long holiday.
Mayang Sari is definitely the best resort in the Complex for the beach, swimming, and tranquility.

Room tip: Go for a sea view chalet to get the paradise panorama when you open the curtains in the morning!
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank vodnici
Reviewed 19 October 2012

Wonderful hosts, beautiful place to stay, by the beach, away from the city and city's mess, clean, happy, wind in the air.. ah bliss! Mayang Sari has all that and much more to offer. A quick ferry ride from Singapore, you are welcomed by these really kind people who drive you up to the resort. I even got a free upgrade to the villa as my rooms were blocked out. Who does that? They didn't even make us wait.
The food there at Spice is amazing. They have really good Indian and local food. The Indian dishes there are must try.
It is just a stone throw away from Nirwana Gardens, Nirwana Beach Club. So, resort hopping is possible too. They rent out bikes if required.
There are some water sports like the banana boat ride and jet skiing by the beach.
The Arcade nearby has a wonderful massage centre - very cheap and MUST TRY.

I would like to specially mention Gomgom - at the concierge at Mayang Sari. He sets an example of how you are a good host and the guests feel welcomed.

I am going back there for sure!

PS- I went with my parents and they LOVED the hospitality extended :)

Room tip: Opt for the Indra maya Villa if in budget, else place a request for the beach facing room.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank eknahdus
Reviewed 2 October 2012

It so happened that I got to Bintan on the same week as China's Golden Week holidays. So, Bintan is busier than normal. With the commotion around me, I reminded myself again why I booked myself in at the Mayang Sari, to be away from humanity, to be left alone and just be. The experience of the hotel began the moment I arrived at the island's ferry terminal, with many of its staff greeting the guests and to ensure that we were getting into the right bus. The staff was patient and made the effort to talk to every and each passengers on the bus to ensure that they were all heading to the right destinations. Check-in time was at a rather late 3pm and check-out time was at around 12pm. So, we waited a while to be ushered into our room. The best thing of this place was definitely its natural pristine environment. The second best thing would be its gentle, friendly and laid-back staff that was always smiley and ready to crack a joke with us. The other reviewer got it right to say that there weren't enough seating for guests to lounge around, unless they wanted to sit in the restaurant. Restroom was tucked at the rear, which we could find easily by asking the attendant. The chalet that I'm occupying now has a lot of old-world charm. A lot of reviewers are complaining about its run-down decor but to be perfectly honest, we are amid tropical mangrove and such setting simply enhances the languid nature of the environment that we are in. The bed was firm and comfortable (Westerners would opt for softer bed naturally) and there were plenty of chaise lounge and settees in the room but to be truthful, I would rather lay down on the floor with the rattan carpet. The bathroom floor was of the exposed aggregate concrete and thus, low maintenance. There was safe, fridge, shelving for luggage tucked at the rear (discreet). All the amenities were provided (and some). Furthermore, there was air-con, wi-fi (inclusive). The downside of the bathroom would be its press-to-use tap as if I was in a public bathroom. The chalets were meandering throughout the resort and everyone was given their own space to do whatever that took their fancy. I would come here again for its staff and its pristine natural environment. It may not be the best as Banyan Tree but this would make do for me now. Booking with Singaporean travel agent would be a wiser option to book for cheaper room. Commendable stay.

Room tip: Ask for what you look for: quietness or convenience. The staff is there to help
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Ping L
Reviewed 12 September 2012

Amazing location. Pricey for the quality of the accommodation. Needs renovation. But I am a sucker for a night or two away on a tropical island with powdery white sand and clear blue water, and will no doubt fall for it again

Room tip: Go for a sea view room
Date of stay: September 2012