All reviews health club next door free access excellent facilities executive room sandwiches lovely hotel breakfast was excellent hotel guests wedding reception barnsley chop wedding party sized room would stay again reception staff excellent value for money self service
Reviewed 16 June 2018 via mobile

Stayed when went to a wedding thinking I would get a nice nights sleep away from home. It was the worst night's sleep I've ever had in a hotel. We were woken at around 2.40am by people in the next room loud tv playing laughing etc their phone rang twice which may aswell been in our room. My friend who had to be up early the next morning phone reception who had said they had called them and would do so again. My friend ended up going down to reception to complain,apparently the guests had taken their phone off the hook and had ordered more alcohol (surely this would not be advisable at that time in the morning especially in the rooms where other people are trying to sleep around them!) Luckily I had brought ear plugs which although helped did not drown out the noise entirely. We were woken again at 4.45am again by them. I must state I am a heavy sleeper and can usually sleep through earthquakes and most noises which tells me they were Loud. We were apologised to but little else really. The staff overall were very good. There was a man that just walked into our room at our shock said oh sorry and quickly went. We were a bit uneasy so called reception who said oh it was maintenance and assured no-one could just walk in our room (a simple sorry and explanation from the man would have been nice). The room was nice, a bit tired finishes not exactly finished nicely and could definitely do with soundproofing between rooms. The spa although we had to walk out to the building next door was nice. The hotels on first looks,look high quality but on staying feel a lesser quality. I would not stay again.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Michelle Q
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Barnsley, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2018

Hello Michelle Q,

Thank you for your stay and for taking the time to leave us feedback. I am sorry to learn about the noise level during your recent stay with us. Your comments have been shared with the hotel management as reference for better soundproofing. I trust that measures taken will improve your nest stay with us.

I hope you change your mind and give us another try!

Best Regards,

Clayton G.

Reviewed 13 June 2018 via mobile

Perfectly pleasant and clean hotel that's serves its purpose. Just a pity the rooms don't have aircon and the windows only open a couple of cm! I asked for a fan, which was brought to my room very promptly, but it made little difference.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled solo
2  Thank Alison M
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Barnsley, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2018

Hi Alison M!

It's a pleasure hosting your trip in Barnsley! We also welcome your thoughts.

We're proud of our clean and cozy rooms, and we try our very best to be consistent in these areas. I'm glad that our efforts paid off. I just wish I can say the same with your comments about our rooms' temperature because of the lack of air conditioning. For this, I'm very sorry.

What you described is certainly not what we want for you. I shared your concern with our General Manager and Maintenance Engineers. I'm sure they'll take you comments into consideration when making decisions about our future upgrades.

Again, thanks for your time! We hope to have to again, so we can create better memories together!

Safe travels,

Gian M

Reviewed 13 June 2018 via mobile

Stayed in this hotel last week. I came across a small issue with my room and without question the manager moved me room. The barman was very polite and professional. Fern who I believe is new made a great receptionist and was very professional and polite. Another gentleman who’s name I can’t remember on reception, in his early 20’s again was a credit to the company. Would recommend, food was served as seen and tasted great.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 June 2018 via mobile

Booked this hotel for business a few weeks prior and having drove 4 hours, this was the last thing I needed when I turned up to the hotel!

Walked into reception and spoke to the receptionist, her name was Anna, told her I had a room booked and gave her my name. She was looking for a while and couldn’t find anything, so I showed her the confirmation emails and gave her the reservation number. She was still unable to find anything so she called through to someone and then told me that the booking was cancelled!

She couldn’t tell me why, when or how but told me that someone tried calling me a few days ago. I had no voicemails and no emails to tell me and her response to this was complete and utterly unhelpful. She told me that they were fully booked and I would need to go somewhere else!

No offer to call another hotel for me or look into why it was cancelled, nothing! Disgusting service

So after a 4 hour drive, I got into my car and called a few other hotels to see if they had availability for the night, and am now staying at ibis which is just around the corner - and with much better service!!!!!!

Awful awful awful

Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank Hangoodall
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Barnsley, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2018

Hi Hangoodall,

On behalf of the hotel, I am sorry that you were faced with a very unpleasant situation. Your experience is definitely not our way of providing excellent guest service. I can assure you that what has happened is not the norm for Holiday Inn. At your convenience, I would like to ask a few specifics in order to address your concerns. Please refer to the direct message I sent. Thank you for your time and for choosing us! We hope that we can do business with you again in the near future.

Many thanks,

Anna B

Reviewed 11 June 2018

I stayed here two nights in a family room which was a great size with a small double and a sofa bed. It would have been good to have a king or supering in the family room as inevitably the kids end up in bed with you!

The room was well appointed with a good size desk too, but the big problem came with the TV and the way it was mounted. There was a panel for the TV shared with the room next door so that all the cables for the two devices could be stored in one void. This meant there was little if anything to soundproof my TV from the room next-door. In short, whatever the bloke next-door was watching i had to listen to. The hotel are aware of how terrible the design is and you have to hope you have considerate neighbours.

The food was exceptional and the staff very attentive and really lovely about looking after us. The hotel is within easy reach of the M1 and makes for a better stopover than some of the budget options at motorway services. It has a huge car park and a gym next door too.

Room Tip: tricky to avoid the TV problem, so if travelling in a group make sure you have adjoining rooms to the TV wall!
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled on business