“Could be ausome”
Review of The Washford Inn

The Washford Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Washford
Price range: US$5 - US$32
Description: Delightful country Inn with delicious home made locally sourced food and friendly staff, recently refurbished by Neasha and Steve creating a contemporary feel complimenting the steam railway station next door. Bed and Breakfast is on offer with ensuite rooms overlooking the beautiful countryside and railway station.
Reviewed 24 September 2021 via mobile

Went on a Thursday night towards the end of our weeks stay on Exmoor, not been in this pub for a few years it has changed hands again and is open after the covid enforced shutdowns. The actual interior looks cool all Grey's and whites and the bar and surroundings look good.
The owner was on hand and got us seated and our drinks, he then took our orders, I was going to have a rump steak but has run out. Heard the guy on the next table complain about his rump so maybe a good thing for me. We had the house burgers both presented well and were with the Fry's very good, also had some onion rings that were on the American size.
Overall they are trying hard to make this work, for me I question the direction, the offerings look lean towards an American themed diner, which is fine as nothing like that in the area-my issue is don't play at it but go the whole hog, items such as Mac and cheese, Meatloaf's etc could easily enhance the menu. As before good luck to them the industry has been hit hard enough and we need alternatives

Date of visit: September 2021
1  Thank glassmen007
Write a reviewReviews (266)

Reviewed 12 September 2021

We had no idea when we booked this stay, that we would have such a fantastic start to our wedding, and what a fabulous welcome we would receive. Or of the impact that the friendly and helpful staff would have on us during the few nights we were there.

Breakfast was fantastic and nothing was too much trouble for a group of 9 picky eaters! Evening meals were also great and the service exceptional.

They were brilliant with our nervous dog who barked a bit and even gave her treats.

There was a quiz on the first night and we were encouraged to join in. It felt like the perfect additional little warm up for our wedding the next day!

We had booked for the stay on the night before our wedding and a couple of nights after, before we moved down further south for our honeymoon. We would gladly have stayed here for the base for our honeymoon, had we known how great the staff are!

On the day of our wedding they timed it so that they stood on the platform and waved and filmed our steam train as we went by (we were having our reception aboard the lunchtime one). We were really moved that they went to the trouble to do that. Who does things like that?

The occasion of our wedding was that little bit more perfect because of the attention to detail that owners Neasha & Steve, and Alan and all the other staff gave to our stay with them. This was such a lucky find!

Date of visit: September 2021
Reviewed 12 September 2021

I don't like giving bad, reviews but eating at this place was a huge disappointment. We hadn't made a reservation so we didn't mind waiting at the door whilst the waitress went to check to see if she could squeeze us in, but having done so, we were surprised to find the restaurant was almost empty. Several items on the menu were unavailable, but we both found something we liked so not a problem. I ordered a medium T-Bone steak which when it arrived, as well as being a little overdone, was so tough that it was almost inedible and I could probably have made a pair of shoes out of it had it been a little more pliable. I tried nibbling on a few pieces around the edges but barely ate any of it. My wife's meal was similarly disappointing and she left almost all of hers. As bad as the steaks were, without a doubt the most revolting thing on both our plates was the so-called potato rosti. This was most definitely NOT a rosti, by anyone's definition. It could best be described as a mashed potato stodge bomb that had been singed around the edges. It was truly awful and personally I would have been embarrassed to serve it. When the waitress collected our almost full plates, she did ask if the food was okay at which point I said well since you ask, no it obviously wasn't. I should of course have pursued the matter and complained more at the time but we were both tired after a long day and since our choice of desserts were also unavailable, we just wanted to get home. We asked if they could do a couple of Irish coffees, but the waitress didn't seem to know what these were. She went and spoke to the barman and came back to say this would be fine. When they turned up mine was served in a glass tea mug and my wife's in a beer jug with cream all over the side and handle. Whilst we were drinking our coffees, a large dog came round cleaning under all the tables by eating scraps of food off the floor. I'm not sure if he was an employee or whether he'd just wandered in from the street, but the staff didn't seem to mind. He was disappointed when he came to us as we hadn't eaten enough to have spilled any and I doubt he would have enjoyed it anyway. For some reason, at this point we both started to see the funny side but in retrospect, we really should have complained at the time. This is the first time I have ever spent over £50 on a meal and then gone home to make toast. To be fair, the majority of reviews for this restaurant are pretty good so I can only assume we caught them on a really bad day. A really, really bad day. Nevertheless, we wouldn't ever consider eating here again ourselves.

Date of visit: July 2021
Reviewed 18 August 2021

Well from the moment we arrived it was like we were friends and family. Staff fantastic and alan and Tracy and shuan very friendly and hard working . Had good laugh with Alan very nice guy Food 5 star
Restaurant very busy but staff very efficient not long to wait
. Room perfect for 2 off us .we will return thank you Alan and staff

Date of visit: August 2021
1  Thank swoods1957
Reviewed 7 August 2021 via mobile

Would highly recommend for a family meal. We visited as a family of 8 and the staff could not have been more accommodating or friendly.
Food was lovely and varied enough to cater to everyone.

Date of visit: August 2021