Northover Manor Hotel
US$122
US$108
US$88
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$98/night.

Lanes Hotel(West Coker)
US$165
US$137
All reviewsfunction roomlovely friendly hotelwedding receptionfollowing morninggreat nightwedding partyan excellent mealtwo night staycooked to perfectionstayed two nightsstaff were really friendlypleasant staylovely settingsaturday nightpuddingfamily roomevening meal
Reviewed 4 September 2017

I stayed here whilst on business and was left dissatisfied at the cleanliness of the room.
Cobwebs adorned the ceiling, a used tissue left on the floor, and then possibly the most disgusting find of all was a number of clearly visible pieces of dead skin at the foot of the bed underneath the duvet. This made me question whether the sheets had actually even been changed before my arrival.

The room itself was located in the old/original part of the hotel which requires some form of modernization/refurbishment.
The corridor leading to the room and the door must've been about 5ft high and required stooping down to get in.

Food was ok and staff were very friendly.

Room Tip: Try and request a room in the new-build extension, which should be of a better standard and further away from main road.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
normanSomerset, Owner at Northover Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2017

Thank you for your comments.

I'm disappointed by your experience but cannot for the life of me understand why you wouldn't have made us aware of the issue in the bedroom and specifically the bed. Particularly as the staff are really very pleasant.

Lucy who organises Reservations and Housekeeping having investigated your complaint is somewhat flummoxed. Bedding is always stripped on departure. Bed linen is outsourced and checked prior to being used. As a bed sheet or duvet, returned from the Laundry, is unfolded, dead skin or any other foreign object would be easy to recognise.

With regard to modernisation we constantly seek to improve. The 'charm' of character buildings usually comes from age. So we constantly look to improve whilst retaining as much of the Heritage as we can. It is a challenge.

The 5ft door you make reference to leads onto a corridor where the height is approximately 6'6''. It is lit by 2 sky lights.

Fundamentally we can't suit everyone but those we do, we have forged very satisfying relationships with based on honesty, standards and service.

Reviewed 4 September 2017 via mobile

Firstly me and my partner would like to thank the staff at northover they are a credit to your team. They went out of their to make sure our day was perfect. The food was amazing and we had the best day of our lives thanks to you all. They even made sure that some of our wedding cake was kept back so that we got some. Greatly appreciate and we will be visit again soon :)

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
normanSomerset, Staff at Northover Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2017

Thank you so much for your review. We're so happy that we were able to make your day special for you. We look forward to your return! - Rachel

Reviewed 26 August 2017

We booked a table for four on Friday evening. Unfortunately the service was extremely slow. There did not appear to be anyone in charge. We had to ask serveral times for the menu, then ice for the bottle of prosecco and again if there was anyone to take our order. However, when the food came it was excellent. The restaurant staff seems very inexperienced.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
normanSomerset, Owner at Northover Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2017

Hi Charmaine

Thankyou for your comments !

I'm relieved I wasn't on that particular evening but disappointed by your experience .

Its frustrating when standards are reliant on the Owner being there, its somewhat restrictive. I need to examine how what appear to be knowledgeable staff go from being effective to absent minded.

Thankfully it doesnt happen in the kitchen .

My only additional frustration is the review is posted on the Hotel page and not the Restaurant page. However if your tempted to return I'll very happily get you a drink as your observations are appreciated and regrettably accurate on that night !

Reviewed 14 August 2017 via mobile

Stayed here for a friend's wedding at the weekend.
On arrival we where met a very uninterested receptionist who seemed to find telling us anything a real bother.
Booking a table for dinner was all so hard work although the food was very good once we got it.
The hotel and bar are quite nice and well decorated, unfortunately the same can not be said for the room.
Our room was tiny and looked like it had been decorated in the 70s and being on the road very noisy.
When I enquired if the road was always that noisey I was told it wasn't and it was just busy at the moment. I can only say that road must always be busy then.
This seems to be a nice hotel where the restaurant has taken president over the rooms and could be so much more.
I certainly wouldn't stay here again but would eat here if ever in the area.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
normanSomerset, Owner at Northover Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2017

Thank you for your comments.

It's curious, when the guests perception is the receptionist is disinterested and making a dinner booking is hard work .

In the latter instance that was me . I had been made aware that you'd have preferred to eat much earlier than our restaurant opened. I was also aware that you'd travelled quite a distance on a Friday which can be frustrating. So I chose to try to establish whether or not you were starving and the priority was to eat and leave or whether you anticipated a more relaxed evening. I guess on reflection rather than trying to create a suitable table I should have just sat you in the middle of the restaurant.

With regard to the room whilst I accept it is small, it is one of our budget rooms. The Bride and Groom allocated the rooms and perhaps the Family were given priority in the more spacious and better appointed rooms.

With regard to the traffic noise I am interested to note that the noise is constant over a 24 hour period, that is not my experience and I have been here 20 years.

Thankfully Mr and Mrs Lloydd were delighted by the efforts we made. Weddings for some can be an arduous event and I am disappointed if our contribution made you feel that way.

Should you venture this way again I absolutely believe we could have made the experience considerably better by being allocated a more appropriate room. Regrettably that was not within our gift.

Regards
Mark

Reviewed 11 August 2017

Loved our overnight stay in a cosy and well-designed family room and checked-out the following morning after a hearty breakfast. Right from the pre-booking stage everything about our choice of hotel turned out to be a pleasant experience and I'm sure it's not down to pure luck alone but there are signs of considerable amount of work done by the Hotel team and attention to detail shown.

Beautiful building with attractive front elevation with wall creepers that led to a quaint courtyard filled with yet more creepers was inviting enough! Liked the idea of gravelled over car park, meaning no muddy shoes (it's been a very wet day indeed all over the southern counties!) or inviting puddles for my kids to take a deliberate de tour on the way to the reception! Grassy embankment concealed raised planter beds which we could only see after we checked out as I was keen to see beyond the boundary because I figured it out that River Yeo flows right next to the property and I had to see and show it to kids being a fanatic about the landscape in general.

Welcoming receptionist, warm bedrooms with kids' bunk beds added to plenty of towels and pillows provided made it a joyfully practical stay for us. Being right on B3151, a reasonably busy village road meant I did wake up to the noise of passing traffic but it didn't affect my wife nor my children. Couldn't completely shut the toilet window (due to its design) as it would have helped with the noise level because it faced this main road. Only other suggestions would be to kindly consider a motion-activated night light (perhaps, a plug-in model) for the kids' bedroom area as my kids needed me to stay with them well into night.

We loved our well-cooked full English breakfast and above all had a friendly informal chat with Felicity, an efficient and ever-smiling member of staff. On the whole, it is a happy hotel and staff were very professional yet personal in their approach. Would love to return if ever in this charming part of the Somerset. Well done Team Northover Manor!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
normanSomerset, Owner at Northover Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2017

Thankyou ! Its rewarding when the effort we collectively put in is recognised and crafted in a considered review !
We are far from perfect but strive to improve. Naturally we would welcome you back and hope to replicate your experience !