“Weekend Away”
Review of Thurrock Hotel

Thurrock Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Aveley B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 September 2017

Not a good experience unfortunately. Please note there are NO lifts in this hotel. Lots and lots of stairs. Our room was in the eves of the building with the most uncomfortable bed Ive ever slept in. It was the most basic room Ive ever seen. We complained and was moved to the Executive room one floor down. Still not great but slightly better than the hostel room upstairs (thats what it felt like). Staff couldnt of cared less about our stay, no mention of the two weddings taking place and no mention of the fact the music would be so loud you wouldnt sleep so didnt really matter about being upgraded. Wish I had now gone to the Premier Inn up the road. When we checked out on the sunday there was no "hope you enjoyed your stay" "thank you for staying" or even a "goodbye" their customer service was disgraceful. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: No lifts just lots of stairs.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alliedave999
ThurrockGM, General Manager at Thurrock Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2017

We genuinely appreciate the feedback.

Reviewed 28 August 2017 via mobile

Worst stay in a hotel ever. Really wish I had researched and read the hundreds of bad reviews.

However booked the room last minute, for our anniversary. Pics looked nice and got a deal on an executive suite.

Plus not much else available at such short notice, for a similar cost

They had definitely used a professional photographer for the pics. As the rooms look nothing like them.

We were asked if there were any special requirements upon booking. So I pointed out that my husband had a broken foot and a ground floor room would be required.

Upon arriving at the Thurrock Hotel. We were told our room was 150. Which was up a few flights of stairs, as no lift.

I pointed out that we had requested a ground floor room. Due to my husband having a broken foot and being on crutches.

"I can help you with your bags". Is all the assistance we were offered.
I declined the offer as I was able to carry the bags myself.

We later discovered that offering help with baggage. Was a requirement by the reception staff. As there was a tick box for this in the feedback questionnaire.

When entering our executive suite. We were really disappointed.
There was nothing executive about it at all.

The furniture looked like it has come out of a 1960's tat shop.

There was no air con. Which on one of the hottest days of the year, was not good.

The room had been set up for one. One bottle of water, one glass, one pack of biscuits etc.

We later found that the curtains were not black out and didn't even meet in the middle.

The shower sprayed water over the side of the bath. Which meant I spent more time drying the floor than showering.
The temperature also fluctuated constantly.

The decor was dated and scruffy. Even though the hotel stated one of the differences between a double and an executive suite was superior decor!

The whole room was mismatched.

The bedding was not down bedding. It was the thinnest duvet ever. The bed was not comfortable

Due to there being no air con. We requested a fan. Which took over an hour to arrive

We also requested an ice bucket. As we had a bottle of fizz we wanted to chill.
It took over 2 hours to be told they had no ice buckets. Even though we had been told twice it was on its way.

The TV was the smallest TV that they could possible put on such a large wall. It really looked lost in such a sea of white.

The lighting consisted of ceiling bedside and also a triple lamp in the corner of the room.

However the lamps in the corner were leaning so far over they looked like they were trying to escape out of the window.
We named these "suicidal lamps" because they couldn't stand being in the room any longer. Which we could empathise with.

We decided to cancel our second night here and booked into the premier inn east Thurrock.
We actually wish we had cancelled our first night also!

What a contrast the premier inn was. They allowed us to check in early, as we had told them of our plight.

They put our fizz in the fridge then provided an ice bucket at the time we had requested.

They had provided a fan in the room, had opened the widow and pulled the curtains.

After telling them it was our anniversary. They came to decorate our room with love balloons and provided bath bombs.

They were so lovely and friendly and anticipated our every need.

I would suggest just booking into the premier Inn. The Thurrock hotel really is not worth the Hassal

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rebecca A

We appreciate the feedback.

Reviewed 26 August 2017 via mobile

Stayed on business on Thursday night. Went to bed at about 10pm as early start. The midweek wedding party took place immediately under my room. The noise and vibration from the music was far too much to sleep. I phoned reception at 11.30pm only to be told it should stop at midnight!!! Falling asleep not too long after midnight I then woke at 5.30am to the sound of the person in the room above me walking over the very loud creaking floor boards. Backward and forward non stop it seemed for about 20 minutes. In short, the stay was a nightmare. On a working weekday night I should have been warned about the potential noise or given a room away from the music. But even without that, the noisy floorboards probably affect the whole hotel. Certainly the ones in my room (136) were loud enough to wake someone if there had been a bedroom below! The likelihood of a restful night seems to be very slim. I wouldn't take the risk. I certainly won't ever again!!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Linfo2

Thankyou for leaving us a review.

Reviewed 25 August 2017 via mobile

We booked this venue last year for July 15th 2017

We had numerous meetings with Mel and she told us everything we wanted to hear, just a shame it wasn't all true.
If you book the garden suit you don't get exclusive use of the garden. Be careful with the wine purchased in the packages as only a fraction will be served to your guests. If you have the audacity to complain you are met with threats of police being called and then shutting your wedding down.
After agreeing some sort of compensation you will end up waiting weeks for them to settle.
They need to be more open to communication and listen to their customers. BEWARE

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Ian_Green27

Your feedback will enable us to provide a better service.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 23 August 2017 via mobile

2nd time I've been booked into this place, won't be eating here again as the food last time was terrible and over priced, also ignore the wifi as it doesn't work, asked for a room that had wifi and they refused, women on reception needs to cheer up!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business

We always take feedback onboard.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Aveley
1.3 km away
25 km away
Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel
Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel
#1 of 1 in Margaretting

Been to Thurrock Hotel? Share your experiences!