“Disappointed.”
Review of Thurrock Hotel

Thurrock Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Aveley B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 October 2017

traveling lots and staying away if I can I like to give independent hotels a go however this hotel is very expensive for what you get and it is not as good as a Premier Inn or a Travelodge at least in these two the bed is good, the beds here are old, freaky and uncomfortable the rooms are very tired, old carpets walls and floors cracked and badly patched, some of the electrics in the 1st room were suspect, loose light switch and a double socket that only one side worked !
The reception and dining room have been updated but that is it, everywhere else is stuck in the 70's.
I asked to change my room because it was so bad thinking that paying £75 I just got a bad room, but no, the 2nd room was a little better but not a lot the bed was actually worse, both rooms the bathroom was dirty and had cracked floor tiles just waiting to cut someones foot in the middle of the night.
Staff on reception were nice and the lady changed my room with no problem, pity the room wasn't as nice as her.
Bar staff, well once they finished showing their child's photo to a couple of I presume regulars she managed to get me a beer which was generous of her to eventually give me some attention ( and no she wasn't serving them drinks just chatting)
Dining, well now this is another interesting area, you can have a choice from the menu when they decide to tell you on the 2nd day, or the special of the day, which is basically a help yourself buffet of little choice and partly dried up food, now I could understand this if I was dining at 8.30 or 9 but surely not at 7pm, so first night was a carvery with some gammon and dodgy looking beef, the 2nd night well this had to be the most poor dried up Chinese food at 7.30 no wonder the restaurant was empty, so opted for the Al a Carte if you could class it as that, the salt and pepper squid was basically frozen calamari with a tub of sweet chilli sauce, deft not the salt and pepper squid I get at any Chinese Ive been to, and well in truth you can't go wrong with Ham egg and chips which was very nice, now then Breakfast, well this is where the hotel shines at its best apart from Mrs Grumpy who just wanted your room number, no explanation regarding anything as what eggs would you like, however a good selection of cereals, a tiny bit of ham and cheese this was poor for any continentals, warm crossaints and pan au' chocolate, nice bacon, sausage etc and very nice poached eggs to order, tea and coffee a bit lacking just sitting in flasks at the side !
So to summarise, there is obviously too many hotels in the area for this hotel to make too much effort, which I can understand, but its a big hotel and with a bit of TLC and just a bit more care they could rise above the PI and TL's of this world and offer a bit more of a comfortable independant stay, they seem to have a huge amount of conference space that could be used but who would want to stay, you need to offer something better not worse for the same money, as it is Im back to Premier Inn, cleaner, better beds and bathroom, and overall food even at a beefeater is better than the dry buffet with a limited selection.

Room Tip: Neither of mine were worth writing about
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Owenski37

Reviewed 26 October 2017

We paid £90 for a hotel room to find the carpets were dated, dusty and smelly. Spacious rooms and comfy beds but didn't get any sleep till gone midnight due to the rooms being so hot - we were sweating! We tried the all you can eat carvery for £10 each - not pleased at all. Most of it was undercooked and hard, almost inedible. Definitely don't think the room was worth that price due to our experience and not having a fridge or many beverages. Not to mention when checking in and eating meals, there was a shortage of staff when we needed assistance. Extra lay creaky floors and paper thin walls. Was woken multiple times simply by loud voices, slamming doors and footsteps. Wouldn't go again!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah C
ThurrockGM, General Manager at Thurrock Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2017

Thank you for taking the time to review The Thurrock Hotel.

Reviewed 22 October 2017

Low cost, good location, massive room with modern bathroom. No issues. Would come here again.

It doesnt bother me to lay in bed and be able to see the traffic on the M25, but i imagine it may nit be everyones idea of fun.....probabky onlyban issue in a handfull of rooms though.

Big sprawling place, i gather more of a venue than a traditional hotel, but it did the job for me. Would use again.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review The Thurrock Hotel.

Reviewed 15 October 2017 via mobile

This could be a nice place to stay and the staff try very hard to accommodate. However the communication skills between everyone is none existent.

I booked 3 weeks in advance..I booked direct with the hotel as my husband is in a wheelchair and we required an assessible twin bedded room with a shower. I was told that they had no lifts but did have downstairs rooms down a 'couple' of steps. Well as my husband can get out and walk a little we agreed... I was told I would get e mail confirmation and I booked it.....not a good move..as we found out....

The week before arriving I had still not received confirmation...i rang them up went over all the details again and they sent me confirmation.

On arrival....we were put in an upstairs room with no lift!! The receptionist was slightly baffled as it stated very clearly on our booking form man in wheelchair. She changed the room to one of there garden rooms down a 'couple' of steps.

The dreaded steps...not a couple but at least 6 steep narrow steps with a wall quite close to the end of the steps...we looked at the ramp provided and thought NO WAY..if attempted he would have crashed into the wall.

Got to the room, hot and musty smelling with a double bed. The lady who helped us quite by accident was really helpful and went to find out if there was a twin room...which there was....we took this one even though the beds were only 9 inches off the floor...very low. But we managed.

The place looked clean. Our dinner and dance was great and food excellent.

On going to breakfast at 9am...the place looked very different..remnants of a party..rubbish and ruined flowers all over the floor of the hall....and the icing on the cake.....when I checked out of our room I found a pair of dirty knickers under the bed!!!!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Butterfield17
ThurrockGM, General Manager at Thurrock Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2017

Thank you for the taking the time to write this review, this will help us improve our service.

Reviewed 10 October 2017

My brother and I were looking for a hotel at which to hold a small wake following our mother's funeral and also in turn stay with our families for 2 nights. The natural logistics of organising a funeral mean that it is at short notice and which can induce no little hunting around for a suitable venue. The additional fly in the ointment was that our family has 2 small dogs which we wanted to bring with us as we were travelling down from the North, the dogs are relatively young and had never been kennelled (albeit they are better behaved and cleaner then most humans). Having exhausted the funeral directors "recommended list", by virtue of non availability, wouldn't allow the pooches, nobody available to speak with us etc.... we thought of the Thurrock hotel.

When we turned up, we met with the functions manager, Mel, and enquired as to the possibility of several rooms for a couple of nights, a small / medium function room, catering and lastly the pooches. Mel did tell us that they didn't normally take pets, but rang the manager immediately and gave us the good news that he had agreed to help us out. Deposit paid on the spot and all booked.

In terms of the accommodation, check in / check out was swift and efficient, the bedrooms were functional, clean, well fitted and comfortable. Breakfast in the morning was a comprehensive affair with a good selection of cereals, bread, pastries and full English - all decently presented, and the hot selection was actually piping hot which makes a pleasant change from some hotels I have stayed in. Food in the evenings was a choice of themed buffets or a decent selection from an a la carte menu. All which we sampled were of very good quality and respectable value.

The wake / function itself was a great success and all friends and family were very complimentary indeed about the high standard of the buffet which the chef and catering team produced for us. 50% of the people attending were friends from our Cricketing past and can be (particularly the ladies!) tough judges of a buffet or cricket tea but they all felt that it was a superb and excellently presented spread and that mum would definitely have approved. The (still warm) scones, jam and cream together with the chocolate torte won some significant plaudits.

In addition, we found the room well set up and a nice size and the young gent working the bar was pleasant, well presented and efficient as were all of the hotel staff we encountered during our stay.

We are eternally grateful that Mel the functions manager was swift and efficient in organising everything and in asking whether an exception was possible. Our enduring thanks to the manager for "flexing the rules" and accommodating our two dogs. We fully understand that it can be a leap of faith and a tough decision to flex such a rule.

Overall, we found the whole experience to be very good indeed. In conclusion, our thanks to the whole team for an excellent event and a pleasant stay even if in otherwise sad circumstances.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
ThurrockGM, General Manager at Thurrock Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2017

Thank you for the kind words.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Aveley
1.3 km away
29.8 km away
Pontlands Park
Pontlands Park
#1 of 1 in Great Baddow

Been to Thurrock Hotel? Share your experiences!