“high prices small meals”
Review of Eagle & Child

Eagle & Child
Ranked #11 of 52 Restaurants in Ramsbottom
Price range: US$5 - US$33
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Great British Pub of the Year 2018. We are a social enterprise that supports young people into hospitality and catering, as well as being a cracking good Inn with quirky, modern accommodation, Lancashire hospitality and top notch home grown and local food. Visit us and enjoy!
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The views from the terrace are wonderful and the staff are pleasant and helpful although not very knowledgeable about food or drink. Three meals chosen from the 'mains' section of the menu were rather disappointing in the amount of food on the plate, small portions with very little in the way of veg.My duck breast was swimming in a bowl of soup/gravy with a few peas and I think raisins and noodles, small duck breast. The lamb dish was better with dotted amounts of veg.The menu gives the excuse for small portions being so that you may order two or three dishes.I only ever have one dish at lunch time as do many of my friends.The 'pub' favorites dishes which most people seemed to be eating looked more substantial and better value than the £18/19 mains menu.You do have to wait quite a long time for your meal which is understandable if it is cooked from scratch but to wait over 20 mins for a plate of five fingers of cheese is ridiculous.

2  Thank DeeganLancashire
Glen D, Owner at Eagle & Child, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thanks for your feedback. We are a training social enterprise, so we will take on board your feedback to support training of the young people who work with us. If you would like to give me any examples to assist our training, then I would be pleased to receive these at:
glen@eagle-and-child.com

Our menu also states that you can request further vegetables and/or potatoes if you would like them. We don't like to put good food in the bin unnecessarily, as we also have strong sustainability principles, so we don't pile the plates high. If you do visit us again and would like some additional vegetables or potatoes, then please ask, as we will happily oblige. Equally, to enjoy cheese at its best we do rest it before serving which may take a while. I am sorry if this wait was unacceptable.

Best wishes and thanks again for your feedback.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I visited the Eagle & Child with my Mum and 2 Nephews for my 40th birthday. Unfortunately it was a very disappointing experience.
My Mum had haddock and chips in the beer garden costing £13.95. Unfortunately her fish tasted very "earthy". All 4 of us tried the fish - as did a cat that kept trying to get up on to everyone's table. None of us could stomach the horrible "muddy" taste.
My Mum reported this to the manager, who immediately came across as rather abrupt and not very sympathetic. He claimed he had tasted the fish (not sure when) and he insisted it was fine. He also claimed my Mum had eaten half of the fish, which was patently untrue. Between the 4 of us (5 including the cat!), we had at most got through about a quarter of the fish as we passed it round the table trying to find someone who would eat it!
After pointing this out, the manager offered a replacement fish or a complimentary desert, but by this time the fuss about the fish and the bad aftertaste had put her off eating. We requested a part-refund for the fish part of the meal, because in our opinion the fish wasn't fit to eat. He refused, and we left feeling like we'd been ripped off.
The rest of our food wasn't brilliant either, especially considering the high prices.
I know the manager likes to respond to critical reviews left on TripAdvisor by questioning the motivation of the reviewer. For the record, I don't make a habit of complaining and my reviews are generally very positive. However, on this occasion, I have to make an exception because our trip to the Eagle & Child was a big let-down. Sorry to say I wouldn't recommend it and I wouldn't go back.

2  Thank james s

Hi James

This is a rather disappointing review, as I personally dealt with you and offered everything I could, very politely. I am rather offended that your mother was unable to look me in the eye when I spoke to her, because I stated that I would not offer a refund. This was on the basis that over half the meal was eaten and I had tasted the fish, and in my opinion, there was nothing wrong with it. It tasted like haddock.

I offered to replace the dish and even offered your mother a meal to take home. She declined. As you were there, you will note this offer was made on a number of occasions, as you also encouraged her to have a different dish.

You state that I offer negative opinion about critical reviews on here. It depends on the situation. Firstly, negative reviews here are few and far between and usually only because I have had to deal with abrasive customers who haven't got a free meal. Where there is a genuine complaint I deal with it professionally and personally. Therefore, I say to you again, that I was polite and offered an alternative to your mother and you were there at the time.

I run a successful business and my team and I do our upmost to ensure that we meet all customers' expectations. It is not within my personality, nor my business plan to be a negative person nor to deal with complaints in a way that would be detrimental to my business nor the livelihood of the team.

I am sorry that we were unable to sort things out on the day. Should you wish to contact me outside of a review site, my email is: glen@eagle-and-child.com

I am an honest small business owner, and my team and I work hard to provide a high standard of service to our customers and local community.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Best wishes

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Visited the Eagle & Child for a midweek lunch recently. Lovely dining room and view.

Had the special starter of Asparagus and Egg which was first rate but had to wait far too long for it - 30 mins?

Went with their award winning cheese pie and though it was good, was probably too big and came with a pitiful ‘cup’ of green salad (which I had to ask for as the waitress forgot). I would have preferred a smaller pie with more variation in accompaniments I think.

Sticky toffee pud was nothing memorable.

Had to go and find a member of staff to pay.

1  Thank 805Vista6
Glen D, Owner at Eagle & Child, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thanks so much for your feedback and apologies if the service on the day wasn't at our usual standards. As you will see here and on Google we have lots of feedback about our high standards of service. I am sorry that you did not experience this on your visit.

Thanks for your feedback. As a training social enterprise we aim to ensure that our standards are exemplary, but equally we take on board any constructive feedback to ensure that our trainees get the best training to help them progress.

Thanks again for your feedback and we hope that we will see you again.

Best wishes

Glen and team
E+C

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I went here with a group of friends and were given a lovely round booth table with a view of the hills of Ramsbottom. We selected from the 3 course menu and the food was really fantastic! A lot of thought was clearly put into their menu and I understand why the place is always so busy. The staff were pleasant. We had to wait a little while for the food to arrive but the restaurant was full and it was worth the wait. I will be coming back!

Hi Sam

Thanks for your review! Glad you enjoyed your experience with us and understand that in order to get great fresh food, then there may be a wee wait!

Look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Glen and team

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Myself and the wife have been trying to go the Eagle & Child for Sunday lunch for the last couple of years. We have always left it far too late to book and have always been told that they are fully booked for the time we were looking for.

As Sunday was both Father's day and my Mother's birthday I was organised enough to be able to book a table.

We arrived and were seated in a snug room just off the bar. Parking was a little tricky but that’s not the pubs fault, just busy.

There was an offer on the Sunday lunch, either 2 course for £22.95 or 3 for £25.95.

I ordered the soup (pea and ham) while my Father and Wife had the plough man's assiette. Both were very nice and just made me look forward to the Sunday Lunch even more.

Now at this stage I think it is worth saying that both my wife and I have enjoyed many Sunday Lunches in are around the Noth West. Most of which have been voted the "best" by one paper or web site so our expectations of the Eagle & Child were extremely high.

So the beef Sunday lunch, it was described as coming with duck fat roast potatoes and seasonal veg. When someone says duck fat roast potatoes I envisage golden crispy outside and light fluffy inside, now on a Sunday roast with the reputation of the Eagle & Child I would expect a minimum of 3 ½ roast potatoes. I don’t think that is being piggy or over top. With the seasonal veg I would be expecting lots of nice crisp veg either on the plate in a sharing bowl but plenty to go round, and as for the beef I was expecting good thick slices of cutting like butter beef.

What we got……

2 Thin slices of beef, which were ok but did have a vein of gristle running through it, not the worst with in the word but having seen so many good things about the roast dinner just disappointing.
3 Mange tout, yes that’s right 3, not a pile or a serving, 3.
2 VERY small cabbage leafs……..
2 insipid looking roast potatoes, no crispy golden skins just yellow.
A table spoon full of carrot and swede crush
A table spoon of mash potato
A Yorkshire pudding
And a small splash of gravy.

Now the GRAVY, my wife asked for some more, which after a 2nd time of asking turned up in a very small gravy boat the type of thing that you get peppercorn source in for steak. Inside was may 50ml of gravy…… AND FOR THIS WE WERE CHARGED £1.95!!!!!!

This means that the GRAVY was more expensive than a £29 bottle of wine!

This was just the last straw, we left so disappointed wondering what all the hype was about.

2  Thank Adam H

Hi Adam

Thanks for your response.

I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations.

I thank you for your review and wish you all the best.

E+C