eDreams
Etrip
StayForLong
Hotels.com
All reviews afternoon tea function room evening meal would stay again bit dated lick of paint one night stay short stay full english lovely room excellent value for money good nights sleep yogurt kate wedding suffolk kettle
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 December 2021 via mobile

We bought vouchers when the hotels were just opening after Covid in support of getting them back on their feet.

The stay was booked for the 30th November 2021 and a couple of weeks before I booked the spa treatments for 4 of us, whilst making the spa aware that 2 guests who were elderly did not want to have those particular treatments. I asked if one guest could have a back and shoulder massage instead and was told this needed to be referred to the hotel manager for authorisation. My partner knows the Manager and sent a text alerting her to who the guest in question was and highlighted their support of the hotel having spent a great deal of money with them pre Covid. She then replied with confirmation that this would be referred to the Area Manager. We received no answer and I then called the hotel and left a message asking the hotel manager to call me. That call was never returned and the spa treatment was not forthcoming.

The spa itself was OK, music in the swimming pool area would have enhanced the feeling of relaxation and the spa Manager was pleasant and welcoming.

Rooms are tired and overall the hotel would benefit from being modernised and fixtures and fittings upgraded.

Dinner was disappointing, mostly microwaved dishes and the knowledge of serving staff poor on what we would consider the basics ie soup of the day and house wines. One member of the staff was outstanding and very apologetic when she realised that service at our table had fallen short.

In attendance that evening was Ed who I assume was the area manager. He was approaching tables to check in with guests, I assume trying to gain feedback on their stay. When it was our turn I took him away from our table so as to not dampen the evening and made him fully aware as to how disappointed we were with the lack of communication over the requested spa treatment and general service at dinner. We were given a complimentary bottle of wine which whilst very nice, was not the response I wanted when I made him aware that the least they could do was contact our elderly guest and offer a complimentary massage at another time.

I am adamant that we will never return to the hotel again and will not be recommending it to any friends or family.

Date of stay: December 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank 894maxinev
Reviewed 2 December 2021

Booked a spa and overnight stay with evening meal and breakfast package for a party of 6 of us.... what a total let down from begin to end. The only spa “treatment” included was the floatation or razul which 2 of our group didn’t want so we contacted the hotel in advance to see if there was an option to have a massage... we never got a reply!!! The 4 of us had the razul and use of the pool and steam and sauna which was very nice and the spa manager was lovely. After the “treatment” we had to wait till 3 o’clock to check into our room so decided to have a drink in the bar. When the waitress finally turned up I asked for a hot chocolate and a piece of cake was told we don’t do cake even though there was coffee and cake advertised for £5.95. She didn’t know how to make the hot chocolate and had to get another member of staff to make it and had to ask the chef if they do cake. Said I would like my cake warmed up but both drink and cake came back cold!My husband asked for a receipt after ordering our drinks to which she tutted and said oh I’ve rung it off now. Checking into our rooms was straight forward and we had 3 rooms next door to each other. Bathroom needs updating and our tv didn’t work but had a comfortable nights sleep.
Evening meal was very disappointing, staff had no knowledge of the soup of the day or even what the house wine was and the meals although hot were definitely microwaved. Paying £14.95 for a microwave meal is totally unacceptable. The waitress had no customer service skills whatsoever and really didn’t look like they wanted to be there. We ordered desserts and asked for custard but got ice cream. During the meal a man called Ed came over to see if everything was ok and a friend in our group took him to one side to say how disappointed we were by the whole stay. Although he was very apologetic the damage had been done and judging by the reviews I guess he must be use to disappointed customers. We have been here many times before but this will definitely be our last. The whole experience was a sham apart from the company of very good friends and family. The Best Western needs a total shake up with some new friendly experienced staff as this hotel definitely hasn’t got it.
I sincerely hope to receive a personal reply to this as you will know who we are with an apology at the very least.

Reviewed 30 November 2021 via mobile

Purchased a “deal” through Best Western which included Bed, breakfast, 3 course evening meal with a bottle of wine and a spa treatment for two. It came at a very good price and was initially really pleased with the offer.
We were issued room 220 upon arrival which is a long way from reception which wasn’t a problem but you immediately realise what the room may be like as you walk along a thread bare second set of stairs.
Very spacious room but that’s all. Very cold so turned the bedroom radiator on immediately which consistently made a very loud, constant noise (sounded like a kettle about to boil……all of the time) and released a poor amount of heat for the size of it, needs a good bleed I think. The bathroom radiator never worked at all. Double bed was ok but very noisy with the simplest of movements in bed turning over, also very “springy” in places. The bathroom was very tired with a net curtain only up covering a very damp and mouldy window. What we can only see as “ dirt” on the toilet cistern, sink and tiles we wiped off.
Reception and bar areas we ok albeit buying a drink was a little expensive.
The three course meal also was just ok. Starters were good, the garlic mushrooms and pate/ toast were very tasty and enjoyable. The curry of the day was explained as a chicken korma it was most definitely not that and albeit edible the chicken was very “plastic” and quite dry. My wife’s sausage and mash had tough sausages with some of that left also. The mash and veggies that accompanied it were good however. The deserts were very tasteless.
At breakfast there was plenty to choose from and it’s hard to say but all the items that were not cooked, tea, coffee, yoghurts, fruit, cereal were all good but the bacon was hard, sausages tough, scrambled egg watery and mushrooms and tomatoes cold.
The finest part was the spa treatment and the floatation, nice set up and really relaxing, would definitely recommend this!!
All in all it’s a fairly negative review, but staff were all nice and welcoming but like some of the other reviews definitely not a 4 star hotel. At the absolute best a 3 star.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 November 2021

This little gem of a hotel was delight to stay at. Went with my daughters for a spa break to relax and unwind. The staff were friendly and helpful. The atmosphere was quiet and relaxed.
The rooms are spacious and nicely decorated. The food was great. We had the most relaxed stay, had used the spa and had the rasul treatment and relax we did

Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed 29 November 2021

Loud customers
Noisy room
Expensive menu and awful
Put complaint in still waiting and I'm home cleanliness wasn't great either

Staff not smiley that's important
Spa was ok and relaxing
In general not a great stay got up early to go home with a banging headache from noise in room all night

Review collected in partnership with Best Western