“special birthday celebration - poor customer service”
Review of Mambos

Mambos
Ranked #7 of 22 Restaurants in Ponteland
Reviewed 12 August 2021

The restaurant looks lovely and the food overall was very nice but the service and attitude of one member of staff impacts on the overall experience. We booked a table for 4 for my husbands 60th birthday and our wedding anniversary celebration. My husband has been very poorly and this is the first time he has been well enough to go out for a proper meal for some time. My daughter has food allergies and I notified the restaurant of this both at the time of booking and when we arrived. I explained she could not have nuts or dairy and felt our waiter (who I think is the manager) was quite rude when taking our order. My daughter asked for just a plain piece of grilled salmon, a house salad and sweet potato fries. Her salmon was subsequently served on a bed of vegetables which included green beans and peas. She is also allergic to peas and admittedly I should have told them this, however, we were specific with our order and dont know why they felt it appropriate to serve it differently. We sent it back and the host became quite grumpy and shouted at me that i should have told them about the peas, I explained that we ordered just Salmon, house salad and fries, hence there shouldn't be peas. He then asked if it would be okay to just take the salmon off the peas and serve it, i explained no, this is not acceptable due to the close cross contamination. He ruined the meal experience for my daughter, it is difficult when eating out with food allergies but given this was a special meal, i did not want to make a fuss. Overall the rest of the staff were very nice but our host needs to review his customer service. I would not return and would not recommend, not because of the food but because of the attitude of the member of staff who served us. Shame really as this could be a fantastic restaurant.

Date of visit: August 2021
2  Thank DawnW303
Write a reviewReviews (105)

Reviewed 2 August 2021 via mobile

Booked for a family birthday table of 15. Paid deposit and emailed pre order in.
From the start the manager was downright rude to us.
We asked to pay for drinks separately at the bar and also any other methods for ease of there being different ages and different families in the party. Again the manager was extremely rude and almost scathing to us. Finally my 78 year old father was able to at least pay for the first round separately as a birthday treat.
The service then went downhill rapidly.
We waited for a long time for starters, when they came, one was missing, when I questioned this again the manager dismissed me. I found my email to prove what I had ordered and I got a shrug of recognition.
Starters were all very nice.
After the starters were finished we waited a good 15- 20 minutes for the table to be cleared!
During this time we ordered another round of drinks . Unfortunately the Coke/ soda water/ lemonade were all flat. We had to ask for them to be changed. They were immediately but these too were flat. I again had to explain to the manager who asked to try them! He then TOOK A DRINK OUT OF ALL THREE using the straws and took them away to the bar. Two minutes later THE SAME DRINKS were returned to us by another member of staff. I questioned this immediately and was told by the staff member they had been told to return them to us!!
After again complaining that not only had he drank out of our drinks he had then returned then to us he rolled his eyes at me and stormed off with them!
At this point I did not feel very comfortable, never mind the normal risks associated with this but in light of COVID 19 I could not believe what I was seeing! At no point was an apology offered.
The mains were finally delivered, this took a long time and some of our party waited significantly longer than others not only that but all the sides were delivered at the end which did not flow well with the meal, for example by the time my side salad was delivered my food was already cold.
Food was ok. Lobster was well cooked, hanging kebabs alright but not a lot for the price. Green beans in one dish were basically mush. Porterhouse steak was nice but cooked medium rather than medium rare which had been asked for.
Again, after the meal we waited a further 20 minutes for the table to be cleared. During this time our table felt very uncomfortable as the manager made he clear he was not happy with us. We had brought a cake with us for the birthday celebration but decided to leave instead due to the atmosphere.
The other staff however were lovely.
We then sat at the dirty table and asked three times for the bill. Some of our party even had to leave as it was taking so long!
We finally got the bill but again, no one came to take the payment so finally we went up the bar ourselves and paid. The manager took the payment but did not acknowledge anything that had happened, nor did he make any conversation or try to apologise.
For the first time in my life I did not leave a tip as I felt so upset and disappointed with the whole evening.
The restaurant aesthetically is beautiful, the menu is great with a fabulous choice but we feel really let down and upset by our experience.

Date of visit: August 2021
5  Thank jossh44
Reviewed 30 July 2021 via mobile

Food was fantastic! We ordered during lockdown and got delivery and were very impressed by the presentation of the food and its quality.
Order number- o0160449

Date of visit: March 2021
Reviewed 13 July 2021 via mobile

Three of us went for Sunday lunch. Went for the lamb with Yorkshire pudding etc. Overall felt the food was mediocre. The staff were very attentive and speedy.

Date of visit: June 2021
Reviewed 11 July 2021

Mid June we booked a table for a special occasion namely for the 4th July. We arrived and were seated however we were presented with the Sunday (pub meal) menu. We request the al la cart menu to be informed that this was not available. We were unhappy as nowhere on the website does it indicated that this was the case. We requested the manager who was holding a private conversation on the neighbouring table which was obviously more important than a work issue. We decided to leave as I was extremely annoyed at this and the attitude. As we were leaving the waiter came and said he had spoken to the chef who has agreed to serve us the al la cart menu. So we again sat down. At this point the manager came over and stated he was not going to serve al la cart however if we came back in 3 hours we would be able to order al la cart, and further he stated it was up to us to ask if the al la cart was available on Sunday. He also stated the website states a Sunday menu is served and we could accept it or leave, so we left. On return home later I accessed the webpage and nowhere was it indicated a Sunday menu was served so the manager had blatantly lied to us. I called a sister branch to establish the head office details and Gareth said he would take my complaint to pass it on to the general manager who would call me back - a week later I am still awaiting that call. I left Gareth a further message the following day, he called me back and said they were still looking into this and he will call me next day (Tuesday) which did not happen. Management lead by example and they could not be bothered resolving this spoilt special occasion hence my low rating and never to return.

Date of visit: July 2021