Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection
Oakley Lodge(Cambridge)(Great Value!)
US$88
Hotels.com
Holiday Inn Express Cambridge(Cambridge)(Great Value!)
US$122
US$100
Orbitz.com
The Black Horse Inn(Swaffham Bulbeck)
US$122
US$119
  • Restaurant
Premier Inn Cambridge City East Hotel(Cambridge)(Great Value!)
US$89
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
Travelodge Newmarket Road Cambridge(Cambridge)(Great Value!)
  • Bar/Lounge
Sorrento Hotel(Cambridge)
US$163
US$149
Ibis Cambridge Central Station(Cambridge)(Great Value!)
US$95
Hotels.com
  • Bar/Lounge
Ashley Hotel(Cambridge)
US$119
US$111
All reviewsquy millwater millmain buildingjacuzzi bathafternoon teaconverted barnbar menuanglesey abbeyfour posterpark and ridelovely hotelwedding partysuperior roomleisure facilitiesno liftsconesminute drive
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 February 2018

This is a lovely hotel, and the reason that I stay here from time to time is because of my Best Western membership. In fairness, I did receive an upgrade on this occasion, but I had to ask for it, and the manager explained that it isn't guaranteed because they are an affiliate member of the scheme. I was told not to expect it in future.

The hotel is lovely and the restaurant delightful - especially the kippers at Breakfast. Couldn't complain at all - very nice.

I'm not sure if I'll return, though. I have a similar frequent stays card scheme with IHG and they always give me an upgrade.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled on business
Lauren S, Guest Relations Manager at Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2018

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am pleased that as a Best Western Loyalty club member, you were able to receive an upgrade to your booking. Although we no longer offer this as standard since we became a Premier Property in 2016, it is something that we endeavour to do for all our Best Western guests. I trust that you received the points for your stay, and that you will consider returning to us in the future, for business or pleasure.

Reviewed 13 February 2018

I have very mixed feelings about this hotel - it has some really amazing strengths and qualities, yet I left feeling a little disappointed. Our check-in procedure was fantastic, the receptionist was friendly, polite and very informative - answered all our questions very ably. The hotel itself is very attractive - pretty, well-kept buildings with many rooms in blocks like converted stables and barns, separate from the main reception and bar etc. Our room, in one of these blocks, was modern, bright, spacious and very pleasant. It was exceptionally clean - a big plus in my book. We were disturbed frequently by the outside door to the block constantly banging as people came and went, which was a shame as the bed was comfortable and otherwise the room was faultless. The spa was very pleasant and the young lad working there was, again, helpful, pleasant and informative. In the evening we found that the bar person was exceptionally slow and didn't appear to know where anything was it took nearly 15 minutes to get 4 drinks and we finally had to guide him to the soft drinks which we could see, but he could not. At breakfast we were seated by a very pleasant lady, who spoke English as a second language - this posed a small problem as there was some minor confusion over our breakfast order, but this was resolved eventually without issue. Breakfast itself was tasty - especially the sausages. All in all a very average stay and definitely not an unpleasant one, however, sadly things for me went very rapidly downhill when the maid knocked on my room door at 10.30 am to enquire when she could clean the room (checkout is 11 am). As I was mid phone call at the time I told her to come back in a short while. After finishing my phone call I went into the bathroom and then heard the maid return, using her own key to enter the room - clearly realising that I was using the bathroom she left! I feel this behaviour was intrusive and rude - surely the maids know what time the guests check out?! Furious!

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry for the lapses you encountered during your stay. Your comments regarding the slow bar service have been noted. We do have a few members of staff who are new to their roles, so I apologise that a senior member of staff was not available to assist, which would have given you a much smoother experience. I have investigated the incident with the Housekeeping team, and on this occasion it appears that they misjudged the timing or returning to your room. The assistant should not have attempted to enter the room until 11am in the first instance, so my sincere apologies for this intrusion and inconvenience. Thank you for commenting on the other aspects of your stay, and I hope you will return in the future.

Reviewed 13 February 2018

It was good, but not excellent, let me explain.

We decided to stay at the Quy Mill Hotel after reading that they have a great spa and pool, but best of all, an ‘excellent’ real ale bar.

We like to book a spa break as we both work hard, I say we, my partner does! and as such like to get away occasionally to stay at a decent hotel and spa so we can have a swim, sauna, and then a lovely relaxing meal and a proper drink without the worry of getting home, either by shank’s pony, or booking taxi’s.

We have stayed at a number of lovely hotel and spas in East Anglia so having had a look around, found this one.

We arrived yesterday (Monday 12th Feb 2018) at 1345 hrs, (check in time was 1400 hrs) thinking that ¼ of an hour early shouldn’t really be too much of an issue, and to be fair, it never has been anywhere else before, however, we went to reception and were informed that our room wasn’t ready yet and was at that time still being cleaned, and if we would like to have a drink, (not complimentary) in the bar we would be informed when it was ready, now having read how good the beer selection was at the Quy hotel, and coupled with the fact that had not one, but two bars, we both thought that it would be great to start the relaxation with a nice beer.

We went to the bar and noted straight away that the two lager taps were covered, and also that the two real ale taps were off too. I enquired what beer they had and was informed that they had run out of lager in this bar, and also real ale. Ok thinks I, do not despair, there is still the real ale bar, and I noted that they had an Adnams Mosaic Pale Ale on tap. So, we had one each to be going on with.

We sat and quaffed our ale, which to be fair, was not good, the mosaic has a real strong hoppy flavour which for some is great, but it’s not for me, but It was going to be just the one, so what the hey! Had there have been a choice, I would have had something else.

We were informed at 1430 hrs that our room (202) was ready, ½ an hour late, but still, could be worse. And booked in, I did note that there was no apology for the tardiness, but sometimes, these things can’t be helped.

We went across the courtyard and up the stars to our room, which in all fairness, was lovely, great, I thought, this break is back on track, a good-sized room, large double bed, good en-suite with Jacuzzi bath, Great! BUT! The radiator was off, and there was in place an electric room heater, but the room was lovely and warm,

The swim and sauna was great, and excellent place and recommended even if a little busy, but after all it was half term, so all good,

So, after a lovely relax and a leisurely prep for dinner, we went down to the bar at about 1830 hrs. we went to the bar and again noted that there were no beer taps open other than the pale ale and cider.
I asked jocularly if they had any beer on tap, and was told that no they hadn’t, I didn’t panic and felt safe in the knowledge that they have advertised that “Our Celtic bar has a Scottish theme and features Real Ales, excellent wines and a large selection of malt whiskies” I asked what real ales they had on in the real ale bar, and was told “none, we are all out of beer, but do have some bottles” After suffering a slight `Connery’ we asked for two bottles of Stella, and sat down. Having consumed these, the waitress asked if we would like another drink and so ordered two more; and with these went through to the Celtic Bar for dinner. We both ordered the burgers, which to be fair were ok, but £17.50 worth of ok, I’m not so sure, we had to was 45 mins from ordering and had finished out beers and wanted to order another each. I went to the bar and asked for two more Stella’s and went and sat back down. It was now that we noted that the bar staff we huddled together and kept looking our way, my partner saw a man walk past with a box of Stella and laughingly said that it looked as though they had run out of this too! About 10 minutes later, a waitress bought our beers across, and they were warm! Warm lager??

We finished dinner and went and sat back in the bar, I thought that I would have ‘one for the road’ and asked what bottled beer they had which was cold and settled for a Bud.

I nipped to reception and asked for some more tea bags and milk and was asked if all was of, and thought that I would mention that I was disappointed with the lack of beer. The young lady on the reception whose name I have forgotten, (sorry but you know who you are) was lovely, she apologised and said she would get the manager. At this time Zoe, the day manager was just going home and asked if she could help, and joked she could if she had some beers! Zoe informed me that they did have beer on tap, so I recounted our experiences, Zoe apologised and said that she was going to the cellar to see what was happening.

She came back a little while later and informed me that they were in the cellar and had Wherry, and Ghost Ship, and that they were now connecting up the Ghost ship, and could not understand why we had been told that they had no beer and why they hadn’t connected it sooner. And not to worry, she was altering our bill accordingly in the morning. To be fair Zoe was very apologetic.

The next morning, following a quite night, we had a good breakfast and checked out.

True to her word, Zoe had altered our bill, and had taken the beers off our bill which was lovely of her.

So, what are my impressions? The hotel is lovely, the staff were great, well the evening receptionist and Zoe, the food is good albeit a tad overpriced, The Spa was very good, and the room excellent.

This does come with a caveat:

How can you run a bar without any decent beers on tap? Now, contrary to how this read, I am not an alcoholic, but do like a beer, and do rightly expect when you go to a bar you expect there to be beer, especially when you advertise that you have a real ale bar! If, as we were told, they had experienced a ’very busy Sunday’, surely Monday morning you’d pop to the cash and carry, or contact the brewery and get at least a barrel of beer in?

There were other incidents during our stay such as the bar manager tripping himself up to get way from the bar when we approached it, or the jocular way we were informed that the lager would be back on a 0730 hrs (just in time for breakfast), but that’s another story

To sum up, I don’t think we’ll be staying there again, it was such a shame, they promised so much. But don’t advertise what you aint got.

Oh, and the radiator in our room never did come on.

Room Tip: Room 202 Is great
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pricey158
Lauren S, Guest Relations Manager at Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2018

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your very honest and balanced review. Upon investigation, it seems farcical for us to be without Ales when this is what we advertise- I appreciate this fully and apologise that we did not deliver on this. It was unfortunately a combination of events that culminated in our shortage that weekend- some of which were within our control, and some that were not. I am pleased that Zoe was able to spend time with you to try and rectify the situation, thank you for highlighting this.
We hope, despite this issue that you will return to us again, we would love the opportunity to put things right, especially now that all Ale is back on sale as normal! Once again, thank you for your review, and we value your feedback.

Reviewed 12 February 2018 via mobile

Stayed with a good friend for a girly catch up.

Good check in service - room 403 given - which was in a separate building to the main hotel.

Room was chilly - used temperature control to turn it up & hot air comes out of what looks like an air con unit above the bed . This did warm the room but was like sleeping under a hairdryer!

Bathroom was not spotless - lipstick on the floor towel over the bath - & generally didn’t feel that “clean”.
Only one bath towel in the bathroom .

Only one small bottle of water for a twin room & mostly decaf coffee.

The food in the restaurant was a good standard although a little over priced . Service though was incredibly slow - taking 20 mins to bring the bottle of wine ordered - sat at 8pm & starters did not arrive till 9pm ( I don’t mind waiting for good food but this seemed excessive ).

Tables in the restaurant also far too close together - too many tables in a small room & felt like you were sitting on top of other guests.

Breakfast very pleasant although when we went back to our room our keys would not work- back to reception where reprogram & still didn’t work so had to get the cleaner to let us in.

Spa - this was more just a swimming pool with jacuzzi , steam & sauna on the side - not what we would class a spa. Staff in there were very disinterested in us & we were told they were out of the robes advertised.

Again at checkout when mentioning some of these things, the receptionist did not seem interested & no apologies.

Although we enjoyed our stay we were disappointed & let down from the website that had inspired us to book.

Stayed: February 2018
Lauren S, Guest Relations Manager at Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2018

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I apologise for the catalogue of issues that you experienced, and I want to reassure you that all of your comments, which are very fair, have been passed to the relevant departments for immediate action. I do hope that if you choose to stay with us again, we can offer you a more fulfilling experience that meets with your expectations. Once again, I am sorry that we could not rectify any of these issues throughout your stay, especially after taking the time to mention these on checkout.

Reviewed 10 February 2018 via mobile

I booked a last minute stay here for business because it had a gym. Was upgraded on arrival to a four poster with jaccuzi bath, nice treat! Staff were excellent, consistently helpful, food was good, well equipped gym facilities. Nice clean tidy hotel with plenty of close by parking. Free wifi. Decor in the room was a bit tired but I'm only nit picking really. Good quality bedding which always helps! Overall fantastic experience, will definitely be returning!

Stayed: February 2018, travelled on business
Lauren S, Guest Relations Manager at Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2018

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review detailing your stay, I am delighted that you found our hotel and facilities exceeded your expectations, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!