Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
CLau888
United States

Excellent Onsen

4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 15 Dec 2022
Located about 50-minute drive from Toya Lake Onsen Street, it is all the way up hill toward the direction of Lake Shikotsu. My rental Toyota GPS can not locate the exact location of the hotel so I have to reply on my cell phone GPS. You have to drive through a small bridge to get over to the other side of the road where the hotel is located up on a slope.

On the first look, how could they built such an enormous building on the slope ! There was a tour group checking in when we arrived, but check in with the reception is still fast. We stayed on the high floor where there is a lounge with a massage chair for guest use.

Our room is a deluxe suite western + Japanese style, enormous in size, and very comfortable, looking over the river and hill. Two twin beds, sofa, Japanese style living room, closet, big powder room, bath, and toilet. It is one of the nicest rooms I have ever stayed in Japan.

The onsen is again enormous. Very big indoor bath, with different taste such as apple. Outdoor onsen is again enormous, with tens of different ingredients in each smaller bath tub. Example of taste are honey, lavender. One of the most diversified onsen I have ever visited.

When it comes to dinning, dinner or breakfast, it is a big let down. Both quality and choice is not up to my expectation with the beautiful onsen the hotel provides. However, the restaurant itself has a very nice environment, spacious and bright, and green outside.

Overall it is a nice hotel to visit with reasonable price.
Date of stay: November 2022
Room Tip: An almost one hour drive from Lake Toya, so be prepared a bit of travel time
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
  • ZenHotels.com
    S$821
15.7 km from Midori no Kaze Resort Kitayuzawa
Free parking
Contact accommodation for availability.
17.4 km from Midori no Kaze Resort Kitayuzawa
View more hotels in Date
All reviews outdoor onsen massage chair tub toilet japan
Selected filters
Reviewed 25 February 2020

This place really has it all. It is paradise. The Onsen is wonderful, one of the best ones I have ever run across throughout Japan. Huge, to say the least, with tubs and pools everywhere, of different shapes and sizes; a cold and hot sauna, a comfortable changing room and all the amenities you can possibly think of. But the best part comes when you venture outside, regardless of the cold, to dive into one of the many outside pools, running free on the wooden paths in the midst of the forest as you try the dark green - musky flavored tub and you linger there long enough to muster enough heat and venture in the cold whether before splashing in the milky white – barrique flavored tub. Inside the hotel features beautiful, spacious rooms, two amenities stores, a library where you can also listen to music, a huge public place where you can rest, numerous restaurants of very high standards and a complimentary shuttle bus that will drive you from and to Sapporo at the North Exit of the JR Station.
Most people only get here with the evening bus arriving at 4PM and leave the following day at 10AM. Too short a stay, big mistake! Stay two nights, enjoy the Onsen early in the morning when almost everyone is busy packing, and take your time to enjoy a wonderful massage from an experienced therapist. One of the best experiences throughout my stay in Japan.
Oh… pictures inside the Onsen are strictly forbidden. Apologies, I could not resist; and it was early morning, I was alone in the Onsen when I snapped a couple of shots!

Date of stay: February 2020
Reviewed 29 October 2019

I recommend you to visit Midorinokaze Resort Kitayuzawa in Hokkaido. It is 4 star hotel. It is famous for various kind of hot springs and meals. Also, this hotel has an astronomical observatory and beauty treatment. I visited there with my family when I was a junior high school student. Actually, I didn’t like hot spring much because it is too hot for me and it is not interesting. However, when I went to the big outdoor bath in this hotel, I couldn’t believe what is this hot spring because there are various colors and scents.
This hotel has the biggest outdoor hot spring, wood spa which we can walk through the outside and there are 20 small hot springs. These types of hot springs are rare. For example, green tea, wine, moya, Japanese cypress, rokuju which meaning is hope to live long and blueberry hot springs. These scents are so good and make you relax and sleepy. You can sleep well the night because of this hot spring’s effect. Also, inside bathroom, you can enjoy seasonal hot spring, rare hot spring and utaseyu which is like waterfall shower and stream of water cascading onto one’s back. If your body is much warmer, you can take in cool sauna bath. These hot springs make you relax and eliminate some aches. If you feel tired or your body is something bad, you should visit here and these hot springs can heal your body.
However, this hotel is a little expensive to stay. It costs about 20,000 yen per one person for 1 day also you want to go this hotel’s restaurant, you have to pay another cost but there are many plans, so you can choose your room and restaurant considering your cost. Also, this hotel is far from some stations but there are a shuttle bus from JR Sapporo station for free and Shin Chitose Airport station for 1,000 yen for one way ticket. The buses take two and half hours to get to this hotel. This hotel was built in 1996, but it was renewed in 2015 so this hotel is clean. Also, this hotel’s restaurant is so good for example, this hotel has 3 types of meals. First, “seseragi” which is buffet style restaurant. When I visited this hotel, I went there and I remember eating so many food for example stake, pasta, sushi, tempura, fish, omlet, many kind of sweets and fresh fruits. They were delicious. I recommend you to eat roast beef, this texture is soft and the best cuisine of this restaurant. Second, “Morino Kaze Charyo” which is Japanese cuisine restaurant. You can eat seasonal food and various prefecture’s famous cuisine. However, prefecture’s cuisine will change 4 times in a year. I recommend you to eat seafood cuisine. This restaurant’s fish are so fresh and delicious. This restaurant’s seat is private, so you can eat cuisines with nothing care about anyone. Also, if you want to celebrate someone, this restaurant is good. Third, “zen” which is French and Italian restaurant. You can eat French and Italian creative cuisines. Also, this cuisine is corse, so you can enjoy eating many kind of food. Furthermore, this hotel’s staff are so kind. Finally, these are the reason why I recommend you to visit this hotel. So, If you want to relax or eat some great cuisine, you should visit there.

Date of stay: November 2018
Reviewed 4 October 2019

I am so in love with hotel! I wished I had booked 2 nights instead of 1 as there is so much to absorb here. The hotel is built to take full advantage of its natural surrounding. It is minimalistically designed with quality finishes which exudes a sense of calm, chic and natural beauty. We had a spacious, modern room looking out to the forest. Everything was comfortable and clean. Buffet dinner and breakfast was pretty good (could be better especially the dessert line) but the highlight of it was the stunning view of the forest through full height glass panels. The dining room staff are a bit aloof and unhelpful but the kitchen staff were very friendly. Special mention goes to one of the chefs manning the dim sum counter. He is exuberantly friendly and happy! The outdoor onsen is mind-blowing! Huge with plenty of nooks and corners for personal space and blending well into the natural environment. It really gets all your senses firing! Take some time to sit in the library where there is a great sound system with a nice selection of CDs. Perfect place to spend an afternoon lazing on the lounge chair listening to music "from the heavens".

Date of stay: September 2019
2  Thank OliveGoh
Reviewed 24 June 2019

I stayed for 2 nights in June in a standard room with dinner at the Japanese Saryo Restaurant. I organised a shuttle transfer from New Chitose Airport (reasonably priced at 1,000 JPY) and a transfer to Sapporo JR station after check-out. Everything was perfectly organised from arrival to departure. The hotel also offer a 5% discount if paying via cash so worth making sure you have enough cash before arriving.

The hotel entrance and lobby area is beautiful and calm, particularly the library. The outdoor onsen is very relaxing and there are several areas available to bathe which rotate between male and female. Remember if you are visiting that tattoos and swimwear are prohibited (but you are permitted to take a small towel into the outdoor onsen).

The food at breakfast was pretty good but I found it difficult to navigate the buffet and didn't find some of the choices very appetising. However, dinner at the Japanese restaurant was spectacular with a variety of locally sourced ingredients. I would highly recommend paying a little extra to eat at the restaurant rather than the buffet.

Unfortunately the downside was the quality of the room, which wasn't great. The furniture and fittings are old and worn and the bathroom is tiny and in need of refurbishment. There was also a strong smell which pervaded the bedrooms and corridors. I couldn't work out what it was but it seemed to be damp/woodland type smell which I found quite unpleasant (but eventually got used to). It seems that the hotel has updated the common areas like the lobby/library but not the rooms. The trouble is, being so isolated, I ended up spending all of my time at the hotel and it is a disadvantage to stay in a poor quality room even if the onsen, restaurant and library are good. Perhaps paying extra for a higher grade room might help.

Date of stay: June 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank John D
Reviewed 12 March 2019 via mobile

I’m giving this hotel a 5star because the outdoor Onsen is made up of rocks, is big, spacious and beautiful. You practically feel like you’re amidst the mountains and the water is crystal clear. I loved it. There are 3 massage chairs in the hanging area too. A PLUS.

Dinner buffet had a huge variety and even a kids section. To top it off there’s ice cream AND a soft serve machine. My husband loved the roast beef which was done perfectly. Medium. The Apple strudel was very good after warming it in the oven for abit.

This hotel is in the middle of nowhere and you feel like you’re engulfed between mountains. It’s serene, cold and beautiful. You are greeted with a hot ginger drink and cookies when you check in. The rooms face mountains for course since it’s all mountains everywhere. Awesome natural feeling you get here yet luxurious.

Date of stay: March 2019