“Awesome choice for skiing, onsen or snow monkey visit”
Review of Ryokan Biyunoyado

Ryokan Biyunoyado
Reviewed 12 February 2017 via mobile

I didn't directly book this accommodation but chose it as part of my ski package with Epic Ski Adventures, they had 3 accommodation choices and I went with the more traditional Japanese option and I am so glad I did!! I would choose this Ryokan again even if I wasn't skiing!
The traditional tatami rooms were great, I found the futon so comfortable to sleep on and the tea set with green tea, I enjoyed cups of this at my low table every day!
The traditional meals were amazing, the staff incredible especially Yuki the owner, Mitch and Jang :) They also have Taiko drum and dragon dance show every few nights
My favourite part though was the onsen! I didn't use the bathroom in my room once in 5 nights, it is just an experience you cannot miss, especially the outdoor onsen when it's snowing!
Shibu Onsen is within walking distance and this is the onsen town where Samurai used to go and heal after their battles
Also the snow monkeys are a short shuttle away and the Ryokan provide this trip free of charge (transport only, you have to pay entrance fee)
Thank you Yuki, Mitch, Jang and all the other amazing staff, I can't wait to visit again :)
Oh, also make sure you wear the provided Yukata around the Ryokan, to dinner and to onsen, it's so comfortable!

Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank Solivagant_Suitcase
Biyunoyado, Guest Relations Manager at Ryokan Biyunoyado, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2017

Thank you for choosing to stay with us in Yudanaka for your winter holiday skiing with Epic Ski Adventures! We are please you were able to enjoy and explore all of the local area during your stay!

We look forward to seeing you again next winter for your skiing holiday in Japan!

Thank you once again!

Reviewed 12 February 2017 via mobile

We had a very enjoyable experience at our first traditionally Ryokan in Japan. The staff goes out of their way to ensure that guests are getting the most out of their stay.

For us, an Australian English-speaking staff member named Mitch was very helpful in making sure we were taking care of. He mad sure we had meals ready at the correct times and explained previously unfamiliar procedures at this style of accommodation. He also helped us plan some local activities during our two-night stay.

Our favorite parts of our stay in Yamanouchi were the snow monkeys, the private rooftop onsen, and the dining experience. The free shuttle service to the monkey park was a great convenience, though we elected to walk back to experience some of the local flavor of Yamanouchi (which we found really cool, despite many other reviews describing the town as depressing... albeit the town was very quiet while we were there). The rooftop onsen at Biyunoyado is totally worth the nominal fee... we used it twice and it was a comfortable way to experience an onsen. Finally, the food at Biyunoyado was anazing.... a really cool way to experience a broad range of traditional Japanese foods.

If we return to Japan in the winter, we'd absolutely return to Ryokan Biyunoyado in Yamanouchi!

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 February 2017

Our expectations were high after our first stay in Dec 2012....however this time we were given a smaller room, as the hotel was full. We could not remember if there were english/chinese TV channels in 2012, but was a bit disappointed that there were not english or chinese TV channels in the hotel room this time. There was also no moisturiser in the hotel room, but such was provided in the onsen bath area, so it was OK.

The meals provided were good, and the staff who served us, has a bubbly character which made us feel very welcome. The onsen bath places were good, but this time, we were given small bath towel in the room, whereas in the past, such towels were readily available in the onsen.

Would have rated this ryokan an excellent one if not for some of the not so positives described above. The free pickup and sendoff at the train station were prompt and service was delivered with smiles.....which we liked!

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 February 2017

I visited specifically to ski Shiga Kogen and surrounding mountains. The Ryokan Biyu is surrounded by over 25 different ski areas, and is partnered with Epic Ski Adventures to provide amazing guided ski tours for all skill levels. Instead of staying at a sleepy hotel at the base of a ski mountain, visit this amazing ryokan for a culturally immersive experience.

The hotel's onsen (hot spring), which features an indoor, outdoor and rooftop pool, is perfect for relaxing your muscles after a day of skiing. When the snow is lacking, the friendly hotel staff can help with planning other day activities in the Yudanaka and Nagano area.

Can't wait to visit again next year!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the town of Yudanaka have great views of the mountain, and views of the sunset
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 February 2017 via mobile

If you're seeking fresh powder and runs for days, Nagano should be on your radar. This ryokan, or traditional Japanese hotel, is tucked in between a multitude of slopes in the mountains of Nagano.

I'm not a huge snow person, being from Hawaii, but I went to Park City, Utah a lot in my youth and learned to ski, snowboard, and ice skate there. I've been to Nagano a few times to snowboard, and this ryokan is by far the best accommodation I've stayed at while being here. The onsen in particular are spectacular. 100% naturally fed from a spring, this hotel has 3 different bathing areas - two are down stairs and are included in your stay (they alternate each day between men and women for either side so stay multiple days to experience both!). The third is a rooftop onsen with fabulous views and the same great water. This one requires a reservation with a fee but for me - especially with my tattoo making some Japanese uncomfortable - it was worth it. For the most part, however, a majority of the people staying in this ryokan are foreigners who either don't mind or don't care about tattoos, so feel free to go to the general onsen downstairs. And there are inside and outside baths in both of the downstairs facilities!

Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends