Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 20 June 2012

The onsens are really nice - all 3 onsens are well designed and very enjoyable. The included meals are good standard. The staff service is just standard gold star Japanese style. My room - a Japanese style room pretty big and is equipped with all standard materials - green tea, kimono etc - really nice. With the meal and onsens in the price of the hotel, I find it very good value.

Date of stay: May 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
3  Thank citizen_1903
Reviewed 11 June 2012

My first trip to Hokkaido, Japan, and a great first introduction to the onsen culture.

The rooms were typical Japanese style, but had a combination of beds and a Japanese tatami style partition.

Good:
- Onsen, although no open air onsen available
- Picturesque. My kids saw a deer grazing in the garden during breakfast, and being city kids, they were naturally thrilled. Both our rooms had fantastic views of the mountains.
- Beds were nice and firm.
- The banquet we were served (we travelled on a group tour) was fantastic.

Poor:
- Smallish toilet, but this is to be expected since this is an Onsen hotel, so you are expected to do most of your washing up in the Onsen and use the bathroom for only.... you know :)

Date of stay: June 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 10 June 2012

I chose to stay Choyotei for one night at Sounkyo. It was a rather pleasant experience (though not my best ryokan/resort experience).

Location: This ryokan hotel was located near all the other ryokan hotels in sounkyo. It is very near to the Sounkyo ropeway station. Free parking was available.

Service: very good with staff that can speak some English. With some hand gestures, we managed to communicate. There are staff at the car park waiting to help with heavy luggage.

Room: I booked a modern Japanese-western room. The decoration is very nice and the room facilities are new. There are two comfortable western style beds with a small tatami area near the windows for you to enjoy your tea while viewing the scenery outside (not very impressive scenery actually). There is no internet access in the room. The air conditioner was in heater mode (despite being in June) and we could not change it. Fortunately, the windows could be open and there was netting preventing insects from flying into the room.

Hot spring: There are one in-door hot spring bath on the first floor and two hot spring bath areas on the 7th floor. I had used the bath on 7th floor which had big glass windows allowing you to view the scenery outside (really nice... Able to see the snow-capped mountains). There are many shower stalls available (more than 15), but the shampoo and shower foam available were not of good quality. Though the changing room was big, I could not find any hair dryer available unlike other onsen I have been to.

Others: there is a souvenir shop at level 1. Every night at 8.30 pm, there will be a bingo game which you can join in by purchasing a game card at 500 yen. The buffet dinner and breakfast were good with a wide spread. However, for breakfast, the place can be rather crowded.

Overall, it was a good experience. However, if I am to stay in Sounkyo again, I would probably try other hotels.

Room tip: Better to choose the modern rooms as they are newer. Also, it seems cheaper to book from the Japanese website than from their English website.
Date of stay: June 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 October 2011

We were the only western tourists at this popular hotel, which was interesting. Staff English skills were weak (and our Japanese weaker!) which was a challenge. But people were kind and welcoming. The resort was quite full of Japanese families, and we enjoyed getting a feel for their experience. The hotel is well situated, and the area is gorgeous. Stunning surroundings. The outdoor onsen was a plus in the weather we had (autumnal days, a bit rainy). Men and women alternate days in the outdoor and nearby indoor baths, so if you're here 2 or more days you'll experience both. Dining was all buffet-style, and breakfast and dinner were included in our price. Recommend "Natural Foods" by the cable car station for lunch -- home of the "happy hippie" and fluent English speakers (the chef is from New Zealand!).

Date of stay: October 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lynnh
Reviewed 6 November 2010

We chose Choyotei after reading the nice review on Tripadvisor but we were very disappointed. This is the worst onsen (hot spring resort) that I ever been in Japan. I have been to several onsens that the service and the facility are excellent. Staff were welcoming, friendly, and helpful. They greet you with big smile, serve you hot tea and warm towel while check in, guide you and carry you bags for you to your room. Once you settle down in your room, the maid usually serve you tea and Japanese snack as their welcoming act. I found nothing in this Choyotei hotel. I paid over $210 USD per person and this was what I got: 1.When we arrived, no greeting and we hardly find anyone smiling. The person at the front desk mixed up our meal selections, didn't give us our bonus gift certificate. 2. We even have to carry our bags to our room. 2. The room was old and worn out. No repair done as we found wall paper peeling off due to a water leak, stained carpet and moldy smell. 3. There was virtually no ammenities (only 1 bath towel, tooth brush and tooth paste). Compare to other onsens which have numerous supplies (cotton pads, Q-tips, facial cleanser, toner, lotion, socks, combs, hair dryer, etc.), this hotel was quite "stingy". 4. The top floor outdoor hot spring was small and nothing installed to block the strong wind. Even you were immersed in the hot water, the strong wind kept blow on your head which made you feel sick. The shower area was small (only have 4 stalls) and crowded. The dress up area was a joke as there were only 3 desks and we have to line up for using the hair dryer. Of course, there were no supply of cotton pads, Q-tips, facial cleanser, toner, lotion, etc. The 1/F indoor onsen was bigger but again, there was not enough shower stalls and dressing area.
We had a tradition Japanese dinner at their high-end Japanese restaurant. This was the only moment that made me feel like in a real Japanese onsen. The waitress serving our table was cheerful, polite and friendly. The dishes were delicious.
I would not recommend this hotel to my friends or even to 1st time onsen goers.

Date of stay: October 2010