See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 28 May 2016

We felt so welcome from the minute we arrived. I am always tentative heading off on a family holiday that everyone will get what they need. My husband needs untracked powder, I need lots of intermediate runs and lots of green runs for the kids. We got it!
We all need to be warm and dry once inside and love onsen (hot baths). We got that too.
The staff were very kind and on a first name basis with the kids. Meals for all tastes (and my youngest is fussy). Thanks for a wonderful time!

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 May 2016

Went to Hakuba and stayed at the Alps Hotel with the family on a discount travel package we found online. Saw a couple of mixed reviews online, so wasn't sure what to expect. Not sure what the people who wrote negative reviews are on about as we had a great time.

Best skiing we've ever had anywhere in the world! Sensational snow with a huge variety of runs from bigger to advanced immediately in front of and surrounding the hotel. I was able to hire a guide for a couple of days who took me out into the backcountry which was an incredible experience. My kids were able to join in lessons with Japanese kids who they then become friends with through the stay.

The rooms are great. Well set-up, large and warm The buffet breakfast was huge and all bases covered. We tried the French restaurant one night and that was really impressive. The onsen (hot spring bath) looks out across the mountains and is a fantastic way to finish the day.

We loved it all!

Stayed: February 2016
2  Thank JenD1971
Reviewed 29 March 2016

Hotel was daggy and depressing. Breakfasts (included) were dreadful.
Non-smoking room reeked of smoke. No hot water. No toiletries. No Wi-Fi (could get at reception sometimes). Restaurants all pre-booked so couldn't get a sitting.
Reception desk staff all disinterested to point of rudeness.
Ski hill suitable for first time skiiers only. Mostly green, mostly flat.
Only black lift not working.
Ski equipment, so old it was borderline dangerous.
No transfers included (despite being an inclusion with booking).
Shuttle bus irregular and v late to point of uselessness.
Holiday completely unsuitable for a couple.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank 606jane
Reviewed 24 December 2015

Firstly I want to make it clear that the level of service we recieved from the hotel was impressive. They opened the hotel just for us as we arrived early in the season and answered endless questions both before we arrived and during our stay. They made much effort to help us. The main problem was that the hotel is extremely isolated. It is quite far from Hakuba and about a 20 minute walk from the nearest village. We arrived in mid-December which meant the whole area was closed, there was little snow and no shops/restaurants were open. This necessitated a 4000Yen (approx $50AUD) taxi ride EACH WAY into Hakuba to get a meal. We ended up stocking up on processed foods and two minute noodles in order to eat for the week. The rooms don't have any cooking facilities save a kettle which makes it very hard to prepare any foods. Thankfully the hotel arranged a free shuttle for us one way into Hakuba a few nights to help with the cost, but please note this is NOT a regular service and usually the shuttle service is only 9-5pm into the next closest village. This means in order to eat dinner you would have to get a shuttle quite early then hopefully find a taxi back - or eat in the restaurants at the hotel. We didnt eat in the hotel restaurant as it wasn't open most of the time we were there and also we were quoted over 5000Yen per person for a dinner.
The rooms were lovely and tend to have views of the countryside which is spectacular. There are some nice walks around and it looks like when there is snow there are quite a number of lifts to ski in ski out. Unfortunately this didnt happen for us, but the hotel did shuttle us to other resorts to ski as skiing was part of the package we bought. We really liked the use of the onsen every day, especially since we had it to ourselves every time! The spa/'qua' house downstairs is a bit odd and interesting to check out but personally I liked the onsen better - plus you probably will have to pay extra for the spa.
Also be aware that all the rooms are Twin as apparently doubles are extremely rare in Japanese hotels. This was the only hotel of this type we stayed in for our trip so couldn't test this. The beds were quite comfy and the rooms were clean and cleaned each day. We were also disappointed that the wifi didn't stretch to the rooms
Once again the staff were amazing! We really appreciated the help provided by the two lovely English speaking ladies who were on staff while we were there. They made what could have been a very frustrating week, much more enjoyable! Thanks ladies!

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jcee48
Reviewed 24 October 2015

My family and I had a great stay.

The snow was the best I've ever experienced. Lots of powder. I finally understand what all the fuss is about with powder snow! We all loved it.

The hotel room we had was looking a little tired, but it was spacious, clean, warm and comfortable. The natural hot springs onsen and spa area in the hotel was awesome. I can think of no better way to finish off a day of skiing.

We ate in the hotel most nights and the food was good. There's 3 places inside the hotel to choose from. One night we took a shuttle bus to the next village to have dinner there.

The back of the hotel is straight onto the Hakuba Norikura ski field and there is also a good ski school there too. The instructors had limited English, but where great with our kids.

Can't wait to find an opportunity to go back!

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled with family