Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 1 September 2014

My family and I stayed here for 3 nights and chose to purchase the seafood meal package. We had lake view from our room which was fantastic. The hotel is quite dated and needs updating (some of the tatami was ripped, some small holes in walls near electrical outlets). The room itself was quite large and all the staff were extremely friendly and most spoke English and they were very kind to my young son (1 year old). We stayed for 3 nights. The first night the dinner was FANTASTIC but the 2nd and 3rd night we were not impressed with the food. The breakfast is standard Japanese breakfast and the food is plentiful. Overall it was a great hotel and good value but we would have loved if the dinners were all up to the standard of the first night!

Date of stay: August 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank thomps21
Reviewed 27 November 2013

We stayed here for one night. This hotel is a quiet hotel with most Japanese visitors.

Bad Points
1) The distance from hotel to nearest bus station is about 5 minutes on up and downhill slopes. So if you want to stay in this hotel, either rent a car or drag along a light luggage.
2) This place is definitely not for viewing fireworks at Lake Toya at night and is about 10 minutes from the main onsen town

Good Points
1) Quiet and spacious room
2) The dinner was seafood tobanyaki which is like barbecue seafood on hot pot. Delicious and goes best along with Japanese sake
3) The owners speak good English and other staff though may not be good in English were very helpful

Date of stay: October 2013
2  Thank OddEye
Reviewed 16 November 2013

there're lots of hotels near lake toya but most seems to be too big and too crowded with lots of tourists. we tried to search for a smaller and quiet hotel with onsen so that we can relax and enjoy the atmosphere. i'm glad we found out about hotel kawanami from tripadvisor. hotel kawanami is really the right choice for us.
we stayed one night here in late september. the room is big and very clean with a nice view of lake toya. we can sit in the room and enjoy drinking plum wine while watching the fireworks from the hotel window. it was so comfortable sleeping on the floor. there's only toilet in the room but you don't need bathroom anyway cos you can go onsen anytime. we used their private onsen and paid additional 1500 yen per hour. it's really nice and cozy.
tobanyaki dinner was served in a tiny private room. very cute and very comfy. dinner is great with good portion. drink is not included in the dinner though so you have to order it separately. i'm not sure if we can get just free plain water cos we cannot really communicate with the waitress so we ordered some beer and sake and paid additional charges.
breakfast is served in another big room. it's japanese style breakfast. grilled salmon, some pieces of raw fish, salad and egg, rice and soup. very yummy.
there's convenience store right next to the hotel so it's very convenient. we really enjoyed staying here and definitely will come back.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

We stayed here for 1 night and lamented not having stayed longer. We stayed in a total of 5 hotels/ryokans during our trip and this was the most value for money. Spacious room, beautiful onsen (go to the outdoor onsen!), great dinner (dinner was held in the restaurant in private rooms so ambience was great). There was nothing more we could have asked for. Owner can speak English very well, we were very thankful for that.

Room tip: We were initially hesitant about this hotel because the room had no private bath. Turns out it was the best decision ever because in Hokkaido, you'll usually bath at the communal bath/onsen, so there's no need to pick the rooms with private bath (if this hotel offers any)
1  Thank icyparadise
Reviewed 12 September 2013

I had a nice email conversation with Mr Kawanami when I booked. As I was arriving after the last bus of the day at Toya station, he very kindly offered to pick me up – super service! My room was large and clean, with a reasonable view of the lake (best ask for a room on the upper floor). At first I was a bit worried about not having a proper ensuite, but I soon got into the swing of the onsen lifestyle (it’s open 24/7) – it’s so much nice having a shower in there then a nice onsen after than a shower in your room!

I didn’t eat at the hotel other than breakfast on the final day – to be honest, it wasn’t really my thing, although the Japanese guest around me seemed to love it. There is a convenience store over the road, so it’s handy for making packed lunches. The Inn is a little out of town, about half way from Toya and the volcano. Nice and quiet around there! You can walk to Toya in around 15 minutes.

My one reservation was that the tatami mats here felt quite solid. I ended up piling 3 up to make my bed a little more comfortable, but it didn’t really seem to help.

• Trip type: Travelled solo