Hotel Sanrakuso(Shirahama-cho)
US$355
US$270
Marriott Hotels
Savings alert! 44% below average rates

The price you found is 44% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$484/night.

The Hotel Shirahama(Shirahama-cho)
Shirahama Coganoi Resort&Spa(Shirahama-cho)
US$236
Agoda.com
Savings alert! 33% below average rates

The price you found is 33% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$352/night.

Ryokan
Yanagiya(Shirahama-cho)
US$256
Shiraraso Grand Hotel(Shirahama-cho)
All reviewssmall townadventure worldminute walkcozy hotelon foothour supermarketone nightbuffet dinner and breakfastonsenmealsspring
Reviewed 28 October 2017

Let's begin with the positives: Our room was fine. The view was crap, but the room itself was clean and the futons were comfortable. The areas of the hotel that have been recently refurbished were similarly nice. The lobby, hallways, restaurant, and sitting areas were modern and tasteful. Most of the hotel is undergoing a major renovation right now, so hopefully this atmosphere will spread to the rest of the place. The fact that it's located across the street from a major bus stop makes getting there really convenient, and it's a 3 minute walk to the famous white sand beach. It gets a two star rating from me because without the issues listed below, Musashi would be an enjoyable hotel.

However...

There were some very problematic issues that we encountered at Musashi.

Some of the staff is Japanese, and they were all very kind and helpful. The young waiter in the lobby cafe was exceptionally nice and clearly took pride in his job. Even the old ladies cleaning the rooms in the morning were chatty and welcoming. Some of the front desk staff was helpful as well. The rest of the staff were not easy to talk to, as neither English nor Japanese was their first language. They seemed very uncertain when we asked questions about even simple things, and they maintained a deer in headlights look throughout conversations. It was very, very odd. When your staff can't answer how to make a reservation for dinner in the hotel restaurant, you have a problem. These workers were clearly hired for their language ability to help non-Japanese Asian guests, but they were very unable to assist anyone else.

While the food at the buffet dinner was decent, the restaurant was very poorly managed. Many of the dishes were cold, and it seemed that the staff had a hard time getting the food out at a decent pace. The huge crowds of tour groups fighting over the food was no help either. The hotel markets itself heavily to tour groups, and they need to find a way to stagger their dining times to relieve congestion at the buffet. It was madness, with people elbowing and pushing to get to the food.

Finally, the public bath. It's all salt water, so some people might find that off-putting, but I quite liked it actually. Several pools are available, and it's not the worst hotel bath layout I've seen. The problem here was not the bath itself, but the guests. Some of the non-Japanese guests who make up a good portion of this hotel's clientele simply do not know how to use a public bath in Japan due to lack of experience. I witnessed men soaping up and bathing in the soaking pool, scrubbing their armpits with towels that they were dipping in the shared water, dunking their hair in the pool, and entering the water without first bathing. Not to mention children running about, a guy washing his glasses in the pool, and groups of men shouting and yelling. Best of all, I watched as a man walked in, sat down at the shower stall next to me, URINATED ON THE FLOOR, and then stepped into the bath without washing or even turning on the water, all while holding a shouted conversation with the guy next to him (I'm not sure if he was peeing as well, but he certainly didn't shower). Frankly, it was disgusting and against any sense of common decency. All four members of my group witnessed this sort of rude behavior in both genders' baths. There are signs posted in English regarding not putting towels in the bathwater, but I think they need to consider expanding these posters into other languages and going into further detail.

I didn't even go into the soaking pool after that and it kind of killed the rest of the stay for my party. We booked this place based on the positive reviews that mentioned the baths, so it was rather disappointing. I spoke with the front desk about what I witnessed the first evening, and again when I checked out. They apologized and said they do their best to educate the non-Japanese guests on how to behave in the bath, but I guess they need to try harder. It would have been nice to get our dinner bill refunded upon checkout or at least a discount, but I understand that that sort of thing isn't usually done here and I didn't want to push the limits. Looking back , I should have pushed it further. I think a free dinner in exchange for being forced to watch a man pee in front of me would have been fair.

Musashi makes a huge effort on it's website to attract foreign guests with discounts and packaged deals. However, they should realize that this new clientele cheapens the overall experience for other guests and ruins an otherwise nice hotel. There is NO WAY I would ever stay here again or put a single toe into that public bath.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 June 2017

We stayed in a tatami room which is spacious and clean. It is conveniently located as well - there is a bus stop right outside the hotel, and is just 3 minutes walk to the beach. The communal hot spring is free, but you may pay extra to have a private onsen. Buffet dinner and breakfast with a variety of choices. A cozy hotel.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 April 2017

We visit the place for one-night in mid-March 2017. The hotel is well located - right next to a bus stop and a 24-hour supermarket. You can visit other main attractions from there on foot or by bus.

The hotel is overall old, but with decent service from staff. There are 3 onsen choices to go to, plus a chargeable private onsen rental choice. The onsen experience is overall good - especially for the private one.

The main reason why I gave this average review was the food quality. We had a buffet style dinner and breakfast, and it was probably one of the worst dining experience during my whole trip. Most of the items served were not even hot, and the quality is like fast food chain's offer.

This hotel is ideal for visitors travelling with budget. But do not include any meals as you can easily find better food in Shirahama.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 November 2016 via mobile

Such a nice hotel. Well decorated with bamboo & bears. We felt warm & cozy when we walked into the hotel. A staff who speaks Mandarin welcomed us right away. The room is quite spacious with nice ocean view. Although some people might not like the smell from bamboo mattress. But it's acceptable to us. Breakfast & dinner are buffet style with good selections. The open onsen is good, but not big and has no view. Overall, the hotel is well kept & clean.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SYLVIA L
Reviewed 29 October 2016

This hotel was right on the beach and had a Natural Spring On Sen within the hotel. We also stayed in a Japanese style room and slept on Futons which was an excellent Japanese experience. We had a great Shiatsu massage as well. Lots of Japanese families so it must have been popular with the locals as well.
It was a little run down though and we had to wait about 20 minutes to get into the breakfast room

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends