All reviews view of the bay japanese style room outdoor onsen retro bathing foreigners nachi lobby ryokan dinner facilities
Reviewed 8 June 2016 via mobile

It's located on the other side of the town on the seaside. A bit of a walk from the train station. The service was OK nothing to complain about. Our room has a private hot bath overlooking the beach and good view. Public baths are spacious with both indoor and outdoor.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 May 2016 via mobile

This hotel has good location and view, also the room was big and comfortable, the stuff where very helpful provided as with a lot of information about places we should visit, and restaurant we should eat at and the best thing about them is they make an effort to speak english which helped as so much. Thank you for the experience

Stayed: May 2016
katuuragyoen, 広報担当マネージャー at Katsuura Gyoen, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2016

Thank you for your comment.

Thank you very much for your stay in our Katsuuragyoen.
We hope that your stay was pleasant.
We are looking forward to welcoming you again. Kindest regards

Reviewed 2 May 2016

This place failed in a major way before I even set foot in the hotel and unfortunately that set the ambience for the rest of our stay.

I travel a lot and whilst I can and do stay in cheap places when on holiday for months at a time I also stay in expensive places regularly, especially for work and I know exactly what to expect, further more I visit Japan regularly seeing as my wife is Japanese, I am very aware of the culture and how it works. So on arrival at the hotel you would expect to be greeted with a courteous bow followed by a "welcome" yet my arrival was very far from this. As my wife and I arrived, by foot, as we had taken the train from home to here, one of the two managerial gents standing outside of the hotel waiting to greet clients arriving by car or taxi looked at us in a strange way as we walked up the driveway and he started to walk over to us with a "what are you doing here sonny, this is a posh hotel, are you lost, go away" look on his face, he then addressed my wife in Japanese without a hint of a bow which I couldn't quite believe. We are checking in to an expensive hotel and that is how we are greeted! My wife naturally replied telling him we had reservations. I quite literally couldn't believe it, I thought it was very rude.

This set the tone for the duration of our stay, service was not as it should have been.

The hotel was actually OK in its own sort of way as it was pretty old and the rooms were a bit dated but we made the most of it as it was a bit quirky.

Great baths outside overlooking the bay. Inside the bath is very large so there's lots of space.

Dinner was very comprehensive with a good selection of quality sashimi and a sushi chef on hand to make sushi fresh.

Nachi Katsuura is a funny place that seems to be stuck in a bit of a timewarp but it's interesting enough for a few days.

Seems expensive but by the time you take in to account the dinner and breakfast then actually it's ok.

Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple

We would like to apologize for the late reply.
We apologize for the inconvenience.
Thank you for your comment.

Reviewed 23 April 2015

We spent one night before starting the kumano kodo pilgrimage. The staff is wonderful and very nice. We had a lovelly japanese room, very spacious and with an amazing view on the see and the mountains! We also enjoyed the wonderful bath,especially the outside one! I definitely recommand this place. We really enjoy to be in place where there is not a lot of foreigner!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 March 2015 via mobile

We made the trip down to Katsuura to get away from all the touristy mayhem around the main cities of Japan. This Ryokan-style hotel did the trick! We arrived on a Monday and were one of the few people there. We enjoyed the buffet dinner and breakfast which were really good and used the private bath outside, under the moon. The staff is really helpful and makes a lot of effort with regards to speaking English. The facilities itself are a bit dated though, you see the wear on parts of the carpet, lights, etc. Although nothing looked dirty, a small update wouldn't hurt the looks of the hotel.

Stayed: March 2015, travelled as a couple