“Excellent place to see”

Gyeryongsan National Park
Ranked #4 of 20 things to do in Gongju
Reviewed 9 July 2017 via mobile

You should visit this place if you are staying in Daejeon especially if want to enjoy hiking in a place where there is a beautiful water fall

Reviewed 4 April 2017 via mobile

Very fun. Also, great spiritual vibes. Many families there as well as venders selling a variety of goods and wares.

Reviewed 16 July 2015

I went to Gyeryongsan at the beginning of July on a somewhat rainy day. It's been a mild summer, so the weather was great. Once we got up into the mountain it was very cool along the river. We took the 107 to the 711 outside the entrance of the park. It's the last stop on the bus and it's a ten minute walk past some restaurants to get to the park. It's a 2,000 entrance fee, they only accept cash. There's a visitor's center along the way, you can get a map there and fill up your water bottles. I would recommend bringing at least two liters if you're going on a long hike in the summer. I didn't see any place to refill along the way. My friend and I hiked up to Gwaneumbong past the Dhonghaksan temple and Eunseon Pokpo (waterfall). The temple was under construction and the waterfall was tall but small. Great view at the waterfall. Past the waterfall it was switchbacks on slippery rocks all the way up to the peak. Do not wear choco's like I did. I recommend hiking shoes and even trekking poles if you have them. They're not necessary but would have been nice to have. The view at the top was amazing. I would have gone on but was out of shape, so I had to turn back the way I came. I plan to go back in September and do the entire loop. There was no bathroom anywhere on the mountain and it can be crowded be warned. Also, there's a lot of restaurants by the river for when you finish your hike. My friend and I ate at a restaurant that had the tables in the river. It felt amazing to stick our feet in while we ate. And the food was good.

2  Thank reagan_gets_around
Reviewed 2 June 2015 via mobile

How to get there:
From inside Chungnam National University, you can take bus 48 and get off at Yuseong Spa stn. Then take another bus, 107, and get off at the last station. There, your adventure begins. ♡

We were a group of 5 friends who wanted to hike one of the peaks of Gyeryong National park. We have to pay ₩2,000 for the entrance fee. Well, that won't hurt your pocket and it is for preserving the pristine environment.

We walked and walked. We also visited Donghaksa Temple on the way. For those who are always wanting to go to toilets, do not worry since the place has an ample number of toilets. For those who are always hungry, there are lots (i mean a lot!) of restaurants at the foot of the mountain. If you feel like eating ice cream or snacks or buying souvenirs, there are also shops on the way.

Since we are not expert hikers (or hikers), we really had a difficulty traversing the rocky path. But when we reached the peak, it was really satisfying. Our hard work was rewarded!

If given the chance and time, I will revisit and hike again but with the other mountain peak. ♡

2  Thank Mawi S
Reviewed 18 April 2015

Gyeryongsan or "Rooster Dragon Mountain" is a great place to go hiking and experience Korean nature. There are several different trails, ranging from the mostly-flat, paved main trail into the park that is a treasure of natural beauty in itself to the more challenging intermediate, advanced, and expert trails that take you to the many peaks and ridges along the mountain range. You can park your car right at the entrance on the Donghak Temple-side of the park and spend a leisurely morning or afternoon and just catch the sites along the main route inside the park. This is an easy hike on a paved surface along a mountain stream with steep wooded walls on both side of the trail. It is wheel-chair accessible for about 3 km. There are outcrops of facilities along the way, including a nice visitor center and several buildings that are part of the Donghak Temple complex. The Temple is a beautiful compliment to the surrounding natural scenery and makes for some impressive photography. There were a lot of groups there and it seemed customary for them to hike in and claim a bit of space to enjoy a packed lunch. There is no place inside the park to buy food and it seems like open flame cooking is not allowed for obvious reasons, so best to pack something to eat if you are going to be hiking any further than the main trail into the park. There are hundreds of restaurants and temporary seasonal booths along to road leading up to the park entrance. They truly create a carnival-type atmosphere, but be prepared to pay a premium price even for less-than-premium food. Once inside the park there are restroom facilities along the main trail and a few limited places to dispose of any trash, so you best pack that trash out if you go up off the main path and you better take care of business before you go! Be advised some of the toilets are old-style "squattie potties" and you would do well to take your own paper. Down in the valley where the main trail into the park is, you might need a light jacket as it can be about 10-15 degrees cooler than outside the park because of all the tree-cover, the nearby streams, and the steep mountains. We saw some nice little waterfalls from the natural springs flowing down the rocks from the up on the mountain. The park is know for having a population of striped squirrels and we saw a couple dart across the trail in front of us. They were tiny, but they had very striking markings on their body that set them apart from the plain variety of squirrels. I wish I had a photo of them, but with all the people in the park on the day we were there, these little guys didn't waste any time getting off the main path and up into the refuge of a nearby tree. As for the crowds--I attribute it to the Cherry Blossom festival while we were there. The entrance-way to the park seemed like it was draped in a canopy of beautiful Cherry Blossoms and when a strong gust kicked up the crowd raised up a collective "ahhh" like you would associate with a sports stadium as it suddenly looked like it was snowing with Cherry Blossom petals fluttering in the air and falling gently onto everyone's hair and clothing. It was truly beautiful and hearing the vocal praises from the crowds was indeed unique. It was a two-hour bus ride from Pyeongtaek getting to the park, maybe a little less, but it was well worth the trip and I was glad I didn't drive because it was a Sunday and we avoided much of the traffic by using the bus lane and it was nice to just sit back and relax after all the hiking. I am looking forward to going to Gyeryongsan again as the seasons change--I've seen it years ago during the fall and it was absolutely breathtaking. Entrance to the park is typically 9,000 Korean Won (about $9 USD), but there are discounts available for groups, children, and seniors. For more info, the official Korean National Park Service website for Gyeryongsan is www.gyeryong.knps.or.kr. The site has an English option. Enjoy your trip to Gyeryongsan!