“Dinner in a horse box”

Sat, 27/11
20:00
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Bretforton
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Fleece Inn is the perfect rural retreat just a stone's throw from the beautiful Cotswold's boasting roaring open fires for the winter months, open garden and apple orchard for the summer sun and a friendly welcome all year round. With real ales and traditional ciders aplenty this historical pub is a favourite with CAMRA members and the welcoming atmosphere and good food attract visitors from all over the world.
Reviewed 14 May 2021

First visit to the Fleece while stying at the Old Wash House in the village, a short walk away. We were fortunate to be able to book in advance one of the horse boxes complete with heater! We dined here for two nights, the first one we both decided to go for the Sunday roast and chose lamb. It was excellent and almost melted in the mouth and the portions were more than adequate. The second evening we shared the ham hock and asparagus starter, for our main course I had the beef burger on a sourdough bun and husband had the chicken, pancetta and asparagus pie.
The food was delicious and good value, the only thing I would mention was the poached egg on the starter wasn't runny, but didn't mention it at the time as everything else was so good. Great choice of ales and wine which we were able to enjoy as we were staying so close. We found the service excellent and nothing was too much trouble, and were surprised at some of the less favourable views we had read. It's been a difficult time for the catering industry, and I would have thought people would have been more understanding of the situation.
We highly recommend it and would certainly return in the future when possible.

2  Thank ShelleyWil
Write a reviewReviews (455)

Reviewed 7 May 2021

Just had a lovely meal with the family. I had the Fleece steak and ale pie with mash, which was delicious , my wife had the veggie burger and the boys both had a pizza, which looked great and I’m told tasted great too.
We were lucky that we had some evening sun too, which together with a couple of pints and really good service made for a lovely night out. We’ll be back.

Date of visit: May 2021
NigelSmithLandlord, General Manager at The Fleece Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2021

Hi Graham
Thanks for reviewing and so please you had a great time.
Looking forward to seeing you again soon, and might just buy you a pint!
Cheers

Nigel

Reviewed 3 May 2021 via mobile

Nice staff, service was good but to pay £13 for some asparagus, hollandaise from a jar and a piece of bread was a joke. When the server bought it out I asked if this was what I had ordered, ie full round, for £13 she no that’s not right... but on checking with the kitchen it apparently was! .... not impressed and please also cook your burgers so they’re not bloody in the middle. Disappointed. Paid and left.

2  Thank N G
NigelSmithLandlord, Owner at The Fleece Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2021

Hi
Thanks for taking the time to review.
I will be taking your points about value and the burger up with my head chef on his next shift.
if there's anything i can do to help further please let me know.

Kind regards

Nigel Smith
Landlord

Reviewed 29 April 2021

We visited this lovely looking pub at the weekend and were so disappointed. It had been recommended by a friend so we were really looking forward to it. Unfortunately, it was nothing like the picture we had envisaged. The place was so busy that the staff just couldn't cope. I don't know how they were allowed to have so many people there. I'm not aware of any changes to restrictions just yet. There appeared to be some kind of party going on with clearly more than 6 people and there were also tables of people who were obviously all together as they were stood around chatting in close proximity. We were sat under one of the marquees which was dirty and the chairs on our table were all cheap plastic ones that didn't even match. Rustic maybe? The food was ok (but it took ages to arrive) nothing to write home about but nice enough. The service unfortunately was dreadful. I'm not sure what the issues were but the staff members we saw seemed really unhappy to be there at all. I didn't get any names but we were served by a lady with reddish hair in a short ponytail. We were a party of 4 and ordered some drinks on the app and all was fine, initially thought it was a great idea as we could pay upfront and so much easier, however.... we later decided to order more drinks which we did on the app, they never arrived. The other couple with us then ordered some more drinks and they did arrive. When I queried where our drinks had got to with the waitress, she told me that we just had to wait as they had to do them all in order and there was a queue. I tried to explain that others who'd ordered after us had had theirs, it seemed to fall on deaf ears. It was at this point that we realised that we had no confirmation from the app of our order and the bar had seemingly 'lost' our order so not a great system. The whole place just seemed to be chaos. The table next to us got so fed up that they left to go and eat somewhere else. We've visited a number of places since we've been able to and they all seem to have great, new procedures in place with clean, modern outdoor furniture and friendly staff. I don't know if this was just an off day or whether they just re-opened before being anywhere near ready. Either way, we won't be returning unfortunately.

Date of visit: April 2021
NigelSmithLandlord, Owner at The Fleece Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2021

Hi Melissa
Thank you for taking the time to review your visit and my apologies as landlord that your visit fell short of the mark.
You raise a number of important points, which I hope you will understand we are very much aware of following a less than successful start; and are working towards resolving. None of what I write is an excuse, as you paid good money and should have received what you expected at the least, and on a good day a little magic too!
Firstly, the app, and our epos system generally.
This is a new system, borne of a need to offer seamless table service in these covid times. We spent a lot of time selecting our provider, based on discussions, set requirements, third party references and a generally comprehensive approach. Sadly the first couple of weeks proved difficult due to inevitable teething problems, but I am very glad to say that through relentless detective work on behalf of my team, the epos people and the specialist WiFi provider, we are now through this pain. This should mean we can no longer lose orders in the ether as was initially happening. This will mean our customers will now receive their food and drink in a timely manner, regardless of which method they ordered through. It will mean my staff will regain their confidence, knowing that we are not missing things. It will mean my staff are able to resolve any remaining problems more effectively because they have significantly less of them. It will mean we are able to look after our very highly valued customers in a positive and friendly way.
With regards to furniture, we have taken an approach in keeping with our historic nature, but can assure you that cleanliness and covid safety are paramount.
You were unfortunate enough to encounter a difficult group on your visit. Please be assured this is a very rare thing. In this instance we resolved the situation by stopping serving them and asking them to leave.
My team are fully trained in this critical area of our business.
Thanks for taking the time to read my response , and if there's anything else I can help with or you wish to discuss , please let me know. You can contact me direct through the website.
With kind regards
Nigel Smith
Landlord

Reviewed 29 April 2021

We went for dinner yesterday evening with no expectations at all having read 2 really bad reviews We were greeted immediately and taken to "our Horsebox" which was heated. The waitress took our drinks order, and within minutes they arrived. She asked if I would like a blanket as it was a bit windy, which was also brought straight away. We ordered our food, asparagus soup, followed by Smoked Haddock new potatoes and asparagus, my husband ordered asparagus and a poached egg with as side of chips, both meals were perfect and the service was excellent. Highly recommend a visit.

Date of visit: April 2021