“A treat that ended up being a let down”
Review of Artisan

Artisan
Ranked #1 of 43 Restaurants in Wishaw
Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Just lovely well-cooked good value modern Scottish food in an unexpected setting
Reviewed 16 October 2017 via mobile

Went here with my mum, aunt and nana as a combined birthday treat for them before going to a show...
We are all regulars at artisan and for the best part of a year we have seen a slow decline...
For starters I was surprised we managed to get a table as recently every time I have tried to book or shown up I have been turned away despite the restaurant being empty.
When we arrived it took them nearly 10 minutes to get our soft drinks orders... we were ok just sitting chatting, 15 minutes after our drinks order was taken a waitress appeared and asked if our food order had been taken we said no she apologised and took the order.
We are not big eaters so decided that 2 of us would order starters and mains and the other 2 would order mains and desserts and we would share starters and desserts. Our starters came and as always I won't lie the pate was amazing!!
We had tried to order beef olives but were told they had run out on "the whiskey night"... why were we not told this when handed the menu as 2 of us decided on this...
the mains arrived, 1 fish, 1 burger and 2 chicken with whiskey something or other sauce... we sat for a few minutes and then had to ask for cutlery because we hadn't been gave any.
Burger was dry although still edible, fish was dripping with grease the batter was soggy with it... the chicken was edible but the mash with it was lumpy and the sauce was tasteless, we got a bowl of veg on the side and the baby potatoes would have been as well as being served to us raw... when the waitress asked if the meal was ok I explained to her all the issues and that I wasn't happy. She went away and spoke to the kitchen and said that they would see what they could do, nothing came of it and nothing more was said!!
We decided after the hold ups and with how terrible the food was not to have dessert as we were so disgusted at how bad the whole evening had went so far...
I went to pay the owners wife didn't even acknowledge me to start with just turned her back and started preparing the bill... she then turns to me and says I haven't charged you for your drinks for the problems with the food. I don't really like confrontation so I just said ok and paid. The drinks were the only thing we were happy about!! Also it was soft drinks so no great deal being taken off the bill!! I then checked my bill and seen I had been charged for 4 x 2 courses... we had only had 2 x 2 course and 2 x 1 course... so I queried it... again I was refunded and they rang up my bill again... I got an insincere apology from the owners wife and the girl said ok that will now be £40... my original bill was £43!! By this point I had gave up and just wanted to take my family away and enjoy their night since so far it was ruined...
Not only has the staff presence went severely down hill (staff used to always be so upbeat pleasant and helpful) the food is a disgrace... I personally feel that instead of being a restaurant they should just open as a whiskey bar because in the last few years their whiskey seems to get more attention from them than their food and their customers!! Will be a very long time before I visit again... that's if I ever do!! Sorely disappointed as this has always been a favourite restaurant of my families!!
The only reason it got 2 stars instead of 1 was for the pate!!

3  Thank cnquinn

Reviewed 13 October 2017

Having been a regular for well over 2 years,enjoying the steak 2 course lunch i feel i must bring some things out in the open..last two steak meals not very good,steak very chewy very disappointed.the music is not fitting to this restaurant and is annoying to say the least..the coffee machine makes the most noise i have ever heard in a restaurant spoiling the atmosphere..staff talking and complaining around the bar area about the owners etc....SPOILT MY VISIT...will not return

1  Thank john u
Reviewed 10 October 2017

first class meals try the ice cream for two,you will not believe your eyes wow,price absolutely brilliant,staff very very pleasant, highly recommendable

Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

Food superb lovely suroundings and a cracking pint!!! But would prefer more choice on menu. Hence 4 star rating.

Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

Went along to artisian with my husband and father in law for the evening menu of 3 courses for £14.95 and it was simply amazing!!First and for most the staff are well lovely and very well manneredthey couldn't have done enough for us.Food was on point from the chef well cooked,well presented and with a twist ....like the beautiful stornoway blackpudding with buckfast chutney.I love this restraunt as it's always fab and can't beat locally sourced produce ,will defo be back!