“What an amazing experience”
Review of Artisan

Artisan
Ranked #3 of 41 Restaurants in Wishaw
Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Just lovely well-cooked good value modern Scottish food in an unexpected setting
Reviewed 8 November 2017 via mobile

In a world full of eateries, service, quality of food and overall experience are the defining characteristics for any restaurant. Artisan has all 3 of these in spades.

Food is excellent - great choice and tips the hat to their Scottish heritage. They also have several specials, inspired by Chef’s love of whisky.

The service is outstanding. Everyone we spoke to knew the food inside and out, knew the whisky they have inside and out and made the whole experience better.

Experience - put simply nothing like it before. There are thousands of whiskys to try and that’s not a metaphor nor exaggeration. If you’re into whisky and want something truly special, then this is your Mecca.

Overall I can’t wait to go again and will every time I’m anywhere near Glasgow!

3  Thank daveo612016

Reviewed 7 November 2017 via mobile

I have been going here on and off for the last 5 years and on Saturday we decide to have a meal here bit what has happened? First it took us 20mins to get a soft drink in a nearly empty restaurant. Then it took us another 20 mins to attract the attention of the waitress to order but we shouldn't have bothered the food was greasy, tastless and inedible. Mash was full of lumps sauce was a bland cream mess and steak was a fatty bit of gristle. The older waitress stomped about and was the slowest waitress we've ever encountered! The staff used to be excellent, what has happened? The state of the restaurant was not up to standered either with cracked tiles on floor, torn chairs, stained walls and atrocious table runners. All in all won't be back or recommend.

3  Thank SimonLennon
Reviewed 7 November 2017 via mobile

I've been visiting Artisan since it opened and love it as much today as I did then.
Great menu with locally sourced products.
Large portions and great pricing.
If you love Whisky this is the place to be.
Top notch for everything.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 23 October 2017 via mobile

After eating here frequently for a few years I'm afraid i won't be rushing back anytime soon. We went on a Saturday night for a meal and were totally disspointed with the food and the service. Our drinks didn't arrive until we were receiving our starters! For main course i had the chicken which was served with lumpy mash and a bland sauce. My husband had steak which was extremely fatty and seemed like a very cheap cut compared to previous visits.
We always used to rave about the service at Artisan, the girls were always very chatty and attentive. How different our experience was this time. No one seemed to know what they were doing. Very disspointing visit.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 16 October 2017 via mobile

Went here with my mum, aunt and nana as a combined birthday treat for them before going to a show...
We are all regulars at artisan and for the best part of a year we have seen a slow decline...
For starters I was surprised we managed to get a table as recently every time I have tried to book or shown up I have been turned away despite the restaurant being empty.
When we arrived it took them nearly 10 minutes to get our soft drinks orders... we were ok just sitting chatting, 15 minutes after our drinks order was taken a waitress appeared and asked if our food order had been taken we said no she apologised and took the order.
We are not big eaters so decided that 2 of us would order starters and mains and the other 2 would order mains and desserts and we would share starters and desserts. Our starters came and as always I won't lie the pate was amazing!!
We had tried to order beef olives but were told they had run out on "the whiskey night"... why were we not told this when handed the menu as 2 of us decided on this...
the mains arrived, 1 fish, 1 burger and 2 chicken with whiskey something or other sauce... we sat for a few minutes and then had to ask for cutlery because we hadn't been gave any.
Burger was dry although still edible, fish was dripping with grease the batter was soggy with it... the chicken was edible but the mash with it was lumpy and the sauce was tasteless, we got a bowl of veg on the side and the baby potatoes would have been as well as being served to us raw... when the waitress asked if the meal was ok I explained to her all the issues and that I wasn't happy. She went away and spoke to the kitchen and said that they would see what they could do, nothing came of it and nothing more was said!!
We decided after the hold ups and with how terrible the food was not to have dessert as we were so disgusted at how bad the whole evening had went so far...
I went to pay the owners wife didn't even acknowledge me to start with just turned her back and started preparing the bill... she then turns to me and says I haven't charged you for your drinks for the problems with the food. I don't really like confrontation so I just said ok and paid. The drinks were the only thing we were happy about!! Also it was soft drinks so no great deal being taken off the bill!! I then checked my bill and seen I had been charged for 4 x 2 courses... we had only had 2 x 2 course and 2 x 1 course... so I queried it... again I was refunded and they rang up my bill again... I got an insincere apology from the owners wife and the girl said ok that will now be £40... my original bill was £43!! By this point I had gave up and just wanted to take my family away and enjoy their night since so far it was ruined...
Not only has the staff presence went severely down hill (staff used to always be so upbeat pleasant and helpful) the food is a disgrace... I personally feel that instead of being a restaurant they should just open as a whiskey bar because in the last few years their whiskey seems to get more attention from them than their food and their customers!! Will be a very long time before I visit again... that's if I ever do!! Sorely disappointed as this has always been a favourite restaurant of my families!!
The only reason it got 2 stars instead of 1 was for the pate!!

3  Thank cnquinn