“Stay here and get your stuff stolen #2”
Review of Hotel Bayview

Hotel Bayview
Reviewed 20 November 2011

I wish I had read the reviews of this hostel before staying here!

Our valuables were stolen from the locked storage room by a staff member and the owner took no responsibility whatsoever, not even giving the guy´s name to the Police. He also said this has never happened before but now that I have read previous reviews of Bayview I realise it is a much more common occurance than we thought.

In addition, there are loud parties every Friday that are open to anyone off the street, there is a lot of drug dealing going on by the owner and staff, and rooms are like concrete boxes (though this could be the least of your worries).

Again, DONT STAY HERE

Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 August 2011

Some of the things the hostel promises and completely and utterly fails to deliver: the hostel does not "include breakfast", there is none at all not even to pay for. There may be a TV room but no DVD player to play the "huge DVD library". There isn't a jukebox or video game consoles. While there is a hostel van it doesn't actually get used at all so no free ride to town. There is a good kitchen, there is a nice pool and while there is a bar this is only open occasionally so no chance of lazing in the pool with a cocktail. There are computers for internet but you have to pay for them. So not exactly the dazzling array of services promised except as an idea in the owners head that he could do! Also like an earlier review I also now of quite a few peoples things going missing with the owner at first promising to deal with the issue then denying all knowledge and shouting at the poor people whose stuff got stolen when the asked him to follow through on his promises. Think thats the problem with this place all round all promise and no commitment to deliver but charging as though it had been delivered

Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 August 2011

By Taganga standards, this place is top notch. The pool here deserves about a million stars, and the common area was great, but the room itself left much to be desired (and by much, I mean all). The music was deafening until 2 am, the sheets weren't super clean and didn't stay on the uncomfortable bed, and the room was like an oven. My friend's bed actually collapsed between the slats holding it up, and no amount of MacGyvering was able to rig it back up. So that was interesting.

I would not recommend taking their bus to Tayrona. It was supposed to leave at 9:30, but did not leave Taganga until 11, and didn't get to Tayrona until 2. It was as though it was in some sort of time vortex.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 March 2011

This place was the most horrible hostel in all of Colombia and Ecuador in our experience. Totally overpriced, noisy and uncomfortable. They don´t even give you towels! The sheets on the bed aren´t fitted, just top sheets so they slide when you are sleeping and you find yourself laying on bare yucky mattress!! DONT STAY

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 February 2011

I stayed at the Bayview for nearly three weeks nearing the end of Nov 2010. At first I loved it- great pool, internet on site, "friendly" staff, a great movie room- the works! I even tried to get my buddies who were staying over at Tortuga to swap over. A couple days in, I started hearing stories from other backpackers about their stuff going missing. I didn't believe them because I liked where I was and didn't have any stories of my own.

About a week in, some money went missing out of my bag. I was the only one in the dorm at the time, so I know it wasn't any other traveler... but when I asked the owner about it, he blew it off. I didn't pursue it because I thought it was my own fault for leaving money in my things.

Then, a mate of mine got money stolen out of her money belt that was IN THE SAFE. I was with her all day that day and the next so I know she didn't spend it or lose it. 270,000 COP went missing. I know the safe is meant to be secure- but for god's sake, they leave the keys sitting out on the front desk to the "safe" which is perched right above that. The owner started going mad when she demanded to know what had happened. He started yelling and threatening etc etc etc. He even started laying into ME because I was her mate and I was translating her side of the story for the police. He then threatened to have us deported. I was just STANDING there!!

I swear- it looks nice and the breakfasts are good.. but you'll be paying a lot more than the room fees. I tried standing up for this place to my mates that all told me to get out- and look what I got!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo