“Beautiful Chateau in an Amazing location”
Review of Chateau Pomys

Chateau Pomys
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Saint-Estephe
Reviewed 31 October 2016

We stayed 2 nights and had made a mistake with the booking dates, it was our fault but the hotel manager was extremely helpful and nice enough to accomodate us. Not exactly a luxury hotel but a very comfortable, extremely welcoming and warm place to stay. The staff here were superb, very nice especially the young boy who also managed the restaurant , such a nice sweet person and always eager to help. We also dined there, the dinner menu at the restaurant is amazing and food was very very good.

The room was extremely spacious and comfortable and we had a stunning view from the first floor balcony, it felt like we were actually the owners of the chateau. This part of bordeaux is very quiet but there are stunning properties all around and really amazing food. Overall a great experience to stay at chateau Pomys.

Room Tip: Have breakfast in the Gardens, its beautiful.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank UneViePrivee

Reviewed 9 August 2016 via mobile

We arrived hot, thirsty, tired after a long day travelling. Not the greatest welcome, asked for water, we were offered a bottle of water that cost €5.50 ! The bedroom was very clean and newly decorated and new fitted carpet. The room was very small, just enough room for us to move around. The shower room was very small, the shower cubicle was old and dirty.

We got showered, dressed for dinner, went downstairs to the lovely exterior dining area , only to be told by the ill mannered waiter that we couldn't be seated until 7:30... We knew this, as we were told Earlier by the manager. We just wanted to have a walk around the grounds and maybe have a drink before dining. He didn't offer drinks, we had a stroll around and then ordered drinks ourselves.

Dinner was exceptional and well presented, the limited choice of white wine was very expensive and not good. ( I don't drink red as it doesn't agree with me). At €35 a bottle I would have expected something better.
I guess the waiter found us equally irritating as we found him to be. I wouldn't say he affected our evening, but he didn't make us feel welcome with his slightly 'cocky' and casual attitude.

Breakfast was basic, similar and maybe not as good as some of the hotel chains around France. The usual basic stuff, certainly not worth the price. Very impersonal staff, we were ignored totally by the young lady working in the breakfast room!

Chateau Pomys is beautiful, it could be greatly improved by excellent customer service. Such a shame.

Stayed: August 2016
1  Thank Sop666
Reviewed 28 July 2016

Not many wine chateaus offer you to stay at reasonable prices, Chateau Pomys throws great atmosphere, great wine and nice food into the bargain. Service is friendly, maybe a little understaffed and under-experienced, but we were in no hurry and enjoyed our St.Estephe while waiting for the meal. I was here 7 years ago and came back now; delighted to find newly refurbished rooms. The view over Medoc as beautiful as before. OK, so the Wifi system is not working yet, but I cannot see this as an important issue in a beautiful historic setting. We will be back!

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 October 2015

There is Chateau Pomys, a very good cru bourgeois claret, and there is Chateau Pomys, the hotel, both on the same site, and I got the feeling that the owners of the vineyard and chaise have franchised out the chateau building on the estate to a third party to run as an hotel.
The hotel is approached from an elegant limestone gravel driveway, garnished with an empty mineral water bottle that was still there when I left two days later. I was greeted by the hotel manager who showed me round the public rooms and the terrace before taking me up to my room on the second floor (no lift). The room was large with a double and a single bed, separate bathroom and toilet, walk-in wardrobe and a wonderful view from both windows across the gardens and the vineyards to the River Gironde and the Blaye Nuclear Power Station on the horizon. The decor was a bit sparse and gaunt, but the room had everything needed, except possibly a hospitality tray for me to make my own tea or coffee.
A pre-dinner stroll round the garden ended with a rest on one of the garden chairs to watch the sunset. The cushions looked dry, but regrettably they had been left out in earlier rain and I was left with a distinctly damp derriere. Perhaps I should have noticed that the unemptied ashtray on the table was also full of water.
Like the rest of the chateau, the dining room was elegant and illuminated by a chandelier emulating vine-leaves and bunches of grapes, with four of the twelve lamps needing to be replaced. And just to prove that multi-tasking is not the reserve of the fairer of the species, the receptionist/manager was also the only waiter.
The menu was limited to only three items for each course, all plated up in the kitchen, which is probably just as well otherwise service could have been restricted. As it was my main course had been under the hot lamps at the pass for a little too long and was starting to dry out. I was a little surprised to find a plastic pipette hiding among the miniature vegetables around the duo of beef and veal. When I showed it to the hotel staff I was told, "it is vinaigrette for the vegetables". Butter, yes; olive oil, OK; but I have never put a vinaigrette on cooked vegetables. And the following evening, along with my duck, there was the pipette again. A new one on me.
After two nights, as I drove away past the plastic water bottle, €400 lighter, I could not help but think that with a little bit more attention to detail, a bit more thought on the decor and a couple more members of staff, Chateau Pomys could be somewhere exceptional.

Room Tip: I think all rooms have garden views and all but three are on the second floor
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank James M
Reviewed 11 October 2015

to our French holiday. The chateau is deep in Bordeaux wine country and there's a lovely grand driveway approach. The rooms are comfortable and we enjoyed a beautiful view over the gardens. The pond did have ducks and a swan which provided plenty of quacking, which you'll either enjoy or be annoyed by. We ate in-house on the terrace and enjoyed a lovely dinner along with the very good estate wine. Breakfast the following morning was also very good. Some other reviewers have commented on the low staffing numbers - it was noticeable but didn't negatively impact on our stay in any way and our rooms were clean and tidy. Finding the right spot for wifi was challenging, but things got a lot better when we put down our devices, secured a spot lounging in the garden and ordered a bottle of rose.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank WellingtonKiwiJo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Estephe
6.6 km away
19.1 km away
Hotel Chateau Beau Jardin
Hotel Chateau Beau Jardin
#1 of 1 in Gaillan-en-Medoc

Been to Chateau Pomys? Share your experiences!