See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 7 February 2016

When we arrived at 18.15 on a Friday, the main hotel door was locked but I could see, on a table inside, an envelope addressed to me, containing our room key.  But no way of getting it!  I rang the bell many times but nobody came.  I telephoned the hotel but got an automated message, saying the restaurant is closed on Sunday evening.

I had decided we would just have to wait till 7.30pm when the restaurant was due to open but I then discovered from a local man that the restaurant is closed on a Friday evening - why would one want to close it on a Friday!? So I then decided to ring the hotel's emergency telephone number quoted in the automated message.  I tried this twice but immediately got cut off on each occasion.  Luckily the hotel owners guessed it was us and finally let us in.  We had waited 40 minutes! There was no real apology or explanation; in fact the lady who showed us to our room seemed a bit embarrassed about it.

Later, when using WiFi, I discovered that the hotel had sent me an email that morning, advising the access code for the main door.  That would have been very useful if sent no later than the previous evening but obviously wasn't while we were travelling. The hotel staff need to consider the possibility that people travelling don't necessarily check for emails while en route; indeed in our case we have no means of doing so unless we happen to stop at a cafe offering WiFi.

Our room was nice enough but overly hot. Turning the thermostat down had no effect. There was no blind on the Velux window. The provision of a kettle and tea and coffee was a nice bonus - no milk, however!

We didn't have breakfast so I can't comment on that. We had an excellent and reasonably priced dinner at the nearby Chez Le Petit Louis.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 November 2014

We spent a very nice weekend in the hotel du Sauvage, the staff were very welcoming, friendly and polite. Checking in and out was very easy; the room was comfortable, decent and well equipped.
If you like old style and classic decoration you will definitly enjoy staying here.
The food in the hotel restaurant was tasty and the service was excellent. The breakfast was good too.
We enjoyed swimming in the indoor pool.

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2013

we booked a room for 2 adults and 2 children
room was prepared with all beds fine, confortable beds
however, rooms located just upstairs in the main entrance are old style rooms, no air conditionning, very old windows. If you let the window open, you hear all the noise from the main street (even if la ferté is not a big city)
bathroom very small for children
breakfast was fine
area around the swimming pool can be very hot by sunny days

Room Tip: choose rooms 10 to 20
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 March 2013

We had a birthday celebration here on Saturday 16th March 2013. We have used Logis before and were recommended this restaurant by the manager at Holiday Property Bond at St Simeon and we were not disappointed. Service was excellent and the staff were very friendly. All six of us opted for one of the set menus and the food was very good with plenty of choice. Even the wine came in at a sensible price. It's probably a mark of the quality in that apart from us Brits all the rest of the diners were French.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank beasles
Reviewed 5 October 2009

This Hotel shares a good location in a busy market town. As we have used Logis De France many times before, we knew what to expect and the room was without surprises. The hotel staff were polite and friendly and registration was painless.

Sadly the same cannot be said for the quality of food served in the restaurant. As it was our first night, we elected to 'eat in' and I have to say we later wished we had not.

The restaurant boasted a 'Gastronomic Menu'. Candidly the closest this chef had ever come to Gastronomy was the cook book in the shop around the corner. The starters were disapointing, but he worked his way up to his best effort for the main course.

The restaurant was not full, which for a Saturday, should have been a good clue.

I had ordered the Turbot, and for the money we were expected to pay, I was looking forward to something a bit special. In defense of their culinary expertise the sauce was excellent, it was just that I had difficulty finding much fish.

The wife had ordered Faux Fillet. Now we all know that it is not a real fillet and that you take what you get, but it should at least be something approximating a piece of steak. To add insult to injury, having ordered the meat 'well done' it came 'Blood red'. I became a touch concerned as I watched my wife chew and chew and chew on the same piece of meat. So I tried a bit and boy this meat re-defined tough.

We did send it back, but the replacement was clearly cut from the same animal and was just as tough. The wife made a good attempt but in the end had to admit defeat.

The cheeseboard passed muster, but the sweets clearly had been prepared a long time before and refrigerated and as a result were cold and chewy.

I felt sorry for the locals who were eating there. Clearly this was the only half way decent restaurant around so they were just putting up with it. When I sent the steak back, they could hardly contain themselves, almost as if they had been waiting for somebody to have the courage to say what they were so clearly thinking.

So by all means, stay in the hotel but you would be best advised to make arrangements to eat elsewhere.

Oh and incidently, we did stay in a '3' fireplace hotel the following night and it was everything it should be!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple