“Wonderful Hotel”

Ranked #21 of 187 Hotels in Bophut
Ellesmere Port, England, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Hotel”
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Gorgeous hotel, they have thought of everything.
Food gorgeous. Staff at breakfast could be a bit more proactive, that is the only negative thing I can say. However, overall staff in general on the estate were all friendly.

Room Tip: Drinks quite expensive
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Robert M, Manager at Mantra Samui Resort, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
Dear Angie,

Thank you for your taking the time to write a review about Mantra and for your Kind words and suggestion!
It was good to read that you have noticed that we tried to think of everything:)
I would love to have you with us again! Robert

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (535)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Rostock, Germany
Reviewed 8 April 2012

We came back for the second time at this place to marry at Samui.
We arrived in february and sytayed for 2 weeks..we came with ouer family and some friends..we were 12 people and we booked the love and the grand room.
The rooms were perfect for us, clean, confortable, fresh water every day, with terasse and all of the an unforgetable ocean view.
You can see the ocean from your bed - AMAZING!
The stuff was very friendly, like the last time, we organized ouer wedding.
The hotel help us very much, with the organization, especially the hotel manager and the wedding agency in Meman tropical weddings and homes :-)
Ouer guests loved the hotel, we choosed for them.
One of ouer guests cam with a 6 month old baby...and it was perfect for her, they stayed 3 weeks!! :-)
We take lunch with 16 people at ouer wedding day at the hotel restaurant...and it was sooooo gooood!
Ouer guests loved the food so much, so we make a thai cooking lesson with the chef of the cuisine..we cooked the dinner of the wedding..MMMHHHHHHH
.At ouer wedding day we used the transport of the hotel..a van for ouer guests and the hotel chef Robert drove us with the old mercedes!
This was so great.
We had a thai and western wedding..it was amazing. The breakfast and also the lunch during ouer stay from the hotel restaurant was very good..my favourit was the peankcake in the morning, the chicken cashew nut and the red snapper, but also the pizza at lunch time was very good.
For making tripes we used every time the hotel transfer..ist was easy..and often.

At last i can say, it was a perfect stay for ouer wedding, we met with the hoole stuff, the hotel Chef Robert and the hotel manager Wannisa lovely people, who become real friends to us.

We came back on december with ouer baby to the island and stay a long time :-)
Cannot wait!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Dear Julia,

I am so happy that we got to know you and honoured that you decided to hold your wedding in Mantra. It was an amazing experience and I am glad I could be a part of it!

The opportunity to meet interesting and kind people like you is exactly he reason why I am so passionate about the Mantra hospitality. We got to know you a couple of months before and you have returned with your Family and Firends to have your wedding here.

You are truly a member of the Mantra Family and I can not wait to see you - and the Mantra Baby in December! Robert
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Stayed a week with our family recently in their Grand rooms, essentially 2 WOW's interconnecting.

Lets start off by saying this hotel hasn't long been open, Nov 2011 I believe and they are certainly trying their best, but they are not quite there yet. The good news is there are some fantastic deals to be had, we saved 40% off the published rate on their website, so value for money we cannot fault it.

However, it is not quite the 5 star resort they are trying to establish. Will they get there .... not sure .....

There are lots of friendly staff around as other people have commented, but they don't actually do a lot apart from smile and talk to each other. If you speak to Robert (Manager) then things happen.

As mentioned we were staying in what they describe as their family suite, yet there was not a bath, not ideal for small children.

We then had a problem with both of our showers which we discovered on arrival, yet it took 4 days for this to be resolved despite the engineer coming out daily and only then after speaking to Robert.

Another irritant with the family room is you get this nice big balcony but there is a divider in the middle, so you cannot make the full use of it. Not sure if this is only on the lower floor rooms as we did notice some other rooms which did not have this divider across the balcony.

The hotel advertise coffee machines in the room, but they fail to advertise that they charge you 80 baht (£1.60 ish) per coffee you make yourself.

The infinity pool is great, big with fantastic views, however the sun terrace is only on one side of the pool meaning there is limited space for sunbeds. To counter this they have opened up a roof terrace, away from the pool, but with kids, you want to be near the water. Additionally they have put as many sunbeds as possible on the pools sun terrace, but there is literally no space between them and you have to climb over beds to access the pool, or walk to the end by the toilets. The beds are quite big and heavy, meaning they are not easy to move and hence we do not think the sun terrace was cleaned during our weeks stay. The main walkway got washed down with the rain, but around the beds and parasols there was a build up of hair and grime.

The restaurant is OK, breakfast is good with yummy pancakes, the lunch / dinner menu has pizzas plus traditional thai food but is quite expensive, even by Thai hotel standards, charging more than top restaurants / hotels down near Bophut. With only 1 restaurant and the same menu for both lunch and dinner, the food does get a bit repetitive, however the hotel is opening up 2 new restaurants in the near future, so hopefully this will address some of the issue.

The hotel is rather isolated on top of a steep hill, which is nice to get away from it all, but do not think you can walk it, for most people you cannot. The hotel does have shuttle buses to Fishermans villages (nice) and Chewang (avoid), but does leave you restricted to the times of the buses or at the mercy of the expensive taxis. In fairness to Mantra, they do lay on extra buses when demand dictates, like for the street market on a Friday night, but it would have been nice if the hotel had told us about this market rather than having to rely on another hotel telling us during lunch one day!

There is a small kids club, which Mantra are happy to staff during the day and my children enjoyed the 2 hours they spent in the club, wanting to go back for more.

Overall it was a pleasant weeks holiday and very good value for money. If I was paying full price I think I would prefer to stay at one of the resorts on the beach in Bophut for the same price.

Room Tip: All rooms face the sea and have amazing views
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank English_Expat_Family
Dear English_Expat_F

I would like to thank you for your review!

It is good to read that you have found Mantra to provide Great Value, I could not agree more!

I take pride in the fact that even as a five star hotel - that uses exceptionally high quality poducts - we manage to provide very reasonable prices, about 30% better than our competitors.

I am sorry to read that you have missed the bathroom from you GRAND Family Suite but we clearly state on our website that the room comes with a rainforrest shower.

Until now we have had many happy Families - famillies with older children, families with babies, families with older children and babies and even 3 generation families - staying in our GRAND Family Suites and they have never complained for the lack of bathtub - and we are happy to provide baby tubs for little children on request.

It is good to read that overall you found your holiday at Mantra to be pleasant and I hope you will be back to us again, perhaps in a COZY Suite where we have a huge bathtub. Robert
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 7 April 2012

I don't like to give this resort a negative review, but it was really great in some areas, and lacking in others. The key point is that it is constantly improving as it has been open less than a year, so they are finding their groove.

Location: The resort was unique and although it appears remote when entering, it offers access to Fisherman's Village and Chaweng Beach via its shuttle service. We needed an emergency trip to the hospital and the staff assisted us, dropped us off and picked us up. Very accommodating.

Amenities: The rooms were great, though the cleaning service was a little lackluster, as they often left room service dishes and trays behind for several days. I also found them lounging on our balcony at one point and one of the staff said 'Oh, we are not done yet.' This seemed odd.
The spa is small, but very quaint, though you wouldn't spend an entire day there, as there is no lounge area or showers. So it is really for the guests, which is a nice touch. There is a kid's room, but it is pretty small and not staffed (or wasn't when I was there), so it is not a drop off service.

The pool was nice, but seating is limited, so get there early. There is a kid's pool section, but there is a wall that can easily be climbed to get into the deep end. But it was a beautiful vista with views overlooking the ocean and is an infinity pool. It was rarely crowded. The built in sun chairs are a great touch. What was really annoying though was the deck got incredibly slippery and I saw several people fall, so walk carefully. Also, the chairs were pushed right up to the pool edge, and jammed next to each other, so it was nearly impossible to get out of the pool without dripping on people. They need to create an access area, even if it means limiting the number of chairs. There is a roof terrace but it is not staffed and there was noone ever there. The pool is not staffed either, but it is adjacent to the bar/restaurant, so it isn't hard to get what you need.

The gym was great, never crowded, clean, great equipment and great laundry service, making it easy to work out every day if you wanted to.

Restaurant (s)
Well, all the literature said there were four (or so it sounded), but there was really only one restaurant. The other was under construction, and the other two were really a blender (the juice shop) and the bar (an espresso machine...i.e. the coffee shop). I found this very misleading.
Room service was good and prompt, but it took 20 minutes to explain what you wanted (fortunately there are 5 people running the place that speak perfect English and will help). The menu unexpectedly changed two days into the trip and copies were not available so they kept referring us to the internet. Room service came in bento-like boxes which isn't right when you are ordering a single serving of something which ends up lumped into one little section and then there are four empty sections. Use regular plates.

All in all, we had a great trip and all the nits are things that will come with time. This resort is boutique-y, different and building a great customer experience, we were just a little early to enjoy all that, but we can certainly see the direction that it is going.

Room Tip: High floors are good for couples.... lower floors for family.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Jessica M
Dear Jessica,

I appreciate that you took the time and wrote a review about Mantra! Thank you!

I was happy to read that you have found our resort to be great and that you appreciated that my colleagues took care of you when you needed an emergency trip to the hospital.

It was also nice to read that you liked our rooms and that you have enjoyed our Spa (it does have shower and changing rooms) - I agree quaint is a good word to describe it:)

The view rom our pool is amazing and I am glad you enjoyed the view over the sea!
You also took advantage of our gym and our complimentary laundry service for which I am very happy. We built the best gym on the island and I am always happy when Guests make the most of it!

I would like to thank you for you comments we will use them to make sure that we become even better. Robert
Townsville, Australia
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Let me just say first of all, the most amazing thing about this hotel is it's staff. We have travelled and stayed in alot of hotels all around the world and I can honestly say that we have never been treated so special as we were at the Mantra. The staff go out of their way to accommodate every thing you need. They are to be commended. The resort itself is a little out of the way, that is the only down side, but having said that, there are ways to make the most of the island. The hotel offers many shuttles to the beach, the shopping and Fishermans Village. Fisherman's village is a great place to hang out and shop and taste the food, which is excellent. I recommend the Happy Elephant and the Pier, both were fantastic and the price was very good, even though they are considered a little pricey.
Our rooms were fantastic, with great views. They were extremly clean and were made up promptly every day. If we needed an ironing board or power adapter, nothing was too much trouble and came to us in a couple mins. Booking tours was easy and the staff very informative and helpful. The food at the resort was great. The breakfast buffer had us spoiled for choice. While we were there we had a massage. That was truly a wonderful experience.
The hotel is very relaxing and has great facilities. Every staff member from the ground keepers to the wait staff made us feel welcome. We thoroughly enjoyed our time there and highly recommend it. We will definately return.
I recommend you take the taxi from town to the resort and vice versa, it's only 300baht and worth it for a night in the Village. The big budha was great too. Also, if you get a chance, the Red Baron Junk sunset sail was simply amazing. The hosts so friendly and informative and made us feel so welcomed. The food was great, the sunset on the water was amazing. One of the best experience we've ever had. Overall, can not recommend this place any better. They were amazing.

Room Tip: We were upgraded to the Cozy rooms. They were amazing. Huge rooms, great views, beautiful bathroom.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Debs0531
Dear Debs0531,

Let me just say first that you have made my day!

My 118 colleagues and I put our heart into Mantra and it is so good to read that we contributed to a special holiday.
I agree with you the Fisherma's Village is a great place and I am glad you tokk advantage of our shuttle service!
Of course I was happy to read that liked your room and the amazing view, but more than anything the fact that you found our service to be special means a lot to me!
I would like to thank you for your review!
The Mantra Family would love to have you back! Robert
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bophut
1.2 km away
Lanna Samui
#3 of 187 in Bophut
1.0 km away
Zazen Boutique Resort & Spa

Been to Mantra Samui Resort? Share your experiences!