“ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Melati Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #21 of 187 Hotels in Bophut
“ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

I could write an essay about melati. My boyfriend and I enjoyed every second spent at this resort. Perfect location, great room, great food and FANTASTIC service. A special thanks to Ivan who truly needs commending for his outstanding service and help. He went above and beyond to make our holiday and special one. Also a huge thank you to Tien and Sovon, they were both extremely friendly and helpful and did everything they could to accommodate us. The breakfast was 5 star as were the bar snacks, cocktails and evening food menus. The resort was clean and garden staff friendly. Our room was stunning and kept to a 5 star standard the entire time we were there.

Thank you again Ivan, Tien and Sovon. You made our holiday a memorable one and we will be sure to return soon.

Marco and Laura

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms are the cheapest and still a 5 star standard the same as garden pool villas and suites
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Melati_Samui, General Manager at Melati Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 5 March 2012
Dear Lauratex1989,

Thank you for choosing Melati and for the wonderful feedback.

I am thrilled to read about the experience of you and your partner Marco and the impact Tien, Ivan and Sovon made on your experience. I will share this with them and the team.

Again thank you and I hope we can welcome you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

My wife and I have recently returned from 10 wonderful nights of Honeymoon bliss at the Melati.
Being regular and extensive travellers we carefully researched our trip, having decided on Thailand and then Koh Samui. I must say that the resort surpassed our expectations in every way.

Resort / Hotel:

The Melati is situated on the North East Coast of Koh Samui, about a 10 minute transfer in one of the hotels luxury air conditioned taxi from the airport (which in itself is an amazing experience - best airport I have been in). It sits right on a beautiful private beach in a small cove with a picturesque backdrop of lush forests dotted with the occasional private villa. The beach itself is small but intimate, flawlessly clean with sparkling white sands and turquoise sea, which is clear enough to provide excellent snorkelling opportunities.

The grounds of the hotel itself are bordered by walls with ornate traditional Thai murals which surround a stunning cacophony of small waterfalls, ponds, streams and coconut trees, all maintained by a friendly army of dedicated groundsman. It is worth spending some time just walking around the grounds, which at night are lit by a multitude of lanterns and candles.

The reception and greeting area are beautiful. The walkways are lined by small ponds and delicately scented with Jasmine (Melati is Thai for Jasmine). The floors are polished dark wood and the fittings and furnishings are a good blend of traditional and modern giving the overall area a luxurious and unique feel.

The Room:

We stayed in a Private Garden Pool Villa. The entrance to the room was a beautifully decorated garden door, which opened out into a small, but lush garden, with a covered seating area, our private plunge pool which was surprisingly large and the outdoor shower area (shower lovers will enjoy the HUGE rain head shower fitting). The gardens and pool area were perfectly kept, the pool regularly cleaned and the plants watered. Accessed via patio style doors, the room itself was large and spacious, with clean styling and soft neutral tones. Aside from the basics (safe, shower, TV, DvD) there were also several lovely extra conveniences such as umbrellas (which weren't needed for the whole trip!) sandals and a beach bag for our use. The AC was excellent and easy to use with multiple settings, meaning we could keep the room at a good temperature. The bathroom was spotlessly clean, with his and hers sinks and a HUGE shower room. We were provided with 4 bottles of water a day free of charge with more if needed and the mini bar was well stocked and (for a 5* hotel) reasonably priced. There was more than enough cupboard and wardrobe space and being automatically lit at night when opened is a nice touch. Hair dryer, Ironing board, plug adaptors and a whole host of other bits and pieces were stashed away throughout the room. The bed was Kingsize with soft, fresh sheets.

Staff / Service:

The staff here made the holiday. Nothing is too much trouble and there is a genuine friendliness from all staff regardless of position. They take the time to stop and say traditional Thai greetings and are always helpful - several times we were walking to and from our room and staff in golf buggies going in the wrong direction to our destination would stop and offer us a lift. They do not expect tips and are pleased and humble when offered but you get the feeling that they are not putting on airs and graces just to get tipped (which often happens in 5* resorts!). The turn down service leaves small Thai sweets each night and lights scented candles inside and out which smell lovely and also keep the mosquitoes away. Room service was efficient. The staff on reception were always pleased to help, whether by recommending and booking trips, opening the shop, giving us a breakdown of costs on our Melati Card and room, they did so with an easy and open air and whilst waiting we would receive chilled water / face cloths to refresh ourselves. At one point my wife's shoe broke whilst we were having dinner. They took her shoe away and came back 15 minutes later with it perfectly fixed and refused to take a tip in thanks. Little touches like this were common. Amongst the high level of service, two people stood out for their amazing dedication to ensuring our holiday was perfect: Ivan and Ray. Ivan was our guest liaison and gave us our first tour round the resort and helped us buy our Melati Card. He always made time to stop and speak to us whenever we saw him and made suggestions where to eat etc. Ray runs the service at Sea View restaurant and bar and is a huge asset to the resort. Aside form speaking amazing English, she was helpful and extremely professional, she anticipated our needs, learned our names and ensured we had the best seats for the nightly meals etc. We spoke to other guests who were equally amazed at the level of service Ray and her team provided.

Food:

Melati has two restaurants, the Sea View which provides breakfast and an interestingly diverse and wonderful evening menu, and the traditional Thai restaurant which serves up authentic and elegantly traditional Thai food in a beautiful setting. The breakfast was always stunning, and is served in buffet style, with a continental selection as well as Thai noodle / vegetable dishes, a bacon and sausage station, a fish station and a fresh egg station where the chefs would make eggs to order in any style you can name. As well as all this, there was a unique and tasty smoothie bar. The Executive Chef regularly came out of the kitchen to speak to people and check they were enjoying their food.

The level of the evening meals is exceptionally high and the menus reflect the calibre of the Chef. The Sea View Bar has a diverse menu including Thai, Mediterranean and American / European dishes which are done with excellent produce and a flair for flavours and presentation. And you can enjoy the food every other night to the dulcet tones of Rolly and Slave, the in house entertainment that play passable renditions of 80s and 90s songs which get you humming along, without being too obtrusive. All this is enjoyed the the accompaniment of the ocean lapping at the shore some 10 meters away from you.

This is getting too long and rambling to mention everything, but a couple of extra points - both pools are amazing in their own right, the main Sea View pool has a swim up bar in the shade and overlooks the beach. As you walk towards it, because it is an infinity pool it seems to be part of the ocean. The adult pool is beautifully tranquil and still and also has the advantage of catching the sun during the hottest part of the day for those sunbathers out there.

All in all, we cannot recommend this hotel enough. We have stayed in 5* hotels around the world that were not a patch on this one for its beauty, food and service. Thank you to everyone at Melati for giving us the holiday of a lifetime.

Dan & Claire

Room Tip: Go for the Garden Pool Villa - the pool is big enough to dip in and cool off from the sun.
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Daniel H
Melati_Samui, General Manager at Melati Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
Dear Daniel H,

What a nice way to wake up in the morning...knowing that we 'surpassed your expectations.'

I senses reading your review we were able to leave a mark on you and also allowed for some memorable staff interaction. I will pass your comments to Ray and Ivan, not to mention the whole team.

I could go on but I will end with saying thank you for choosing us, recommending us and I do hope we can welcome you again!
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

My wife and i have just returned from the Melati after spending 10 days there and i cannot recommend this enough it was an amazing experience. We would like to thank all the staff at the Melati for making our holiday memorable.a special thanks to Ivan,Tien and our waitress Wan.
I cannot believe what i have read on the bad reviews as we did not experience any of these problems.
Again thank you Melati and we hope to return one day.

6 Thank Garry W
Melati_Samui, General Manager at Melati Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
Dear Garry W,

Thank you for your belief in Melati and staying with us while on holiday.

I shall pass your comments to those mentioned and the team.

I certainly hope we can welcome you again in the future!
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

We booked a garden deluxe room (I think that's what it is called) it's a basic room with a king bed and garden sitting area.

Poor first impressions = I emailed ahead to let them know it was our anniversay and ask if they may upgrade our room as suggested by some friends. I got a response welcoming me and preparing me for
my arrival suggesting I book the hotel shuttle at 300THB per pserson and warning me against the dangers of arranging my own taxi, also asking if I would like to take advantage of booking a private dinner beach or in villa prior to my arrival which would allow me to save %10, thirdly asking me to visit a link to personalize my visit prior to my arrival. I was happy to book the shuttle and asked for more info on the dinner options and informed the representative that I tried to visit the site and personalize my visit but could not do so without a room number, in this email I also reminded the rep about my anniversary inquiring if anything special could be done thinking he must of missed the question on my first email. Well I got no answer to any of my questions the only thing the rep was interested in discussing was booking the shuttle which I did. I gave him the benefit of the doubt and thought maybe he didn't understand (in which case he should of asked for clarification).

Bad first impressions continue= although the staff was very friendly and welcoming upon our arrival (flower garlands and smiles all around) I still was left with a bad first impression once being escorted to our room. I mentioned to the host that I had emailed someone about our anniversary amd she smiled and suggested she knew, so I thought okay well maybe the rep didn't respond because it was a surprise? Well we entered our room which was awful it was room 104 it was dark damp and mucky (later realized the AC was leaky and after we would come back to the room all our belongings would be wet or damp) with a stale smell and the garden sitting area was a not well kept a hard dark swing with patches of grass in only some areas. The linens were not as gleaming white and clean as you'd expect at a 5 star hotel and the towels looked worn thin and dirty. They did try and acknowledge our anniversary with flowers on the bed, a cake and wine to welcome us..aside from the fact we don't drink I don't think any gesture after entering that room would of made it any better. Forget a room upgrade we payed a lot of money for a 5 star resort room and this was definitely not it. It didn't help that we had just come from a amazing hotel in Malaysia (Fraser place) which we paid way less for and got a much nicer room. After two nights in the room my husband tried to change rooms as we really hated it.

Positive: our encouter with English speaking Ivan who was great and very helpful. Although we were told no other rooms were available Ivan took us to show us the same room type as ours but a different unit which was much nicer because it had just been renovated months ago and a pool garden suite which we could get for $30 US extra a night. We looked at both rooms the same one as ours although much nicer and had we been put in that room from the start there would be no reason to complain but it was very far from the breakfast area and beach so we decided to take the pool room we asked for it to be complimentary but unfortunately that was not possible.
All staff in fact were very friendly and courteous.
You get little treats/desserts every night and they are delicious.
Complimentary Internet.
Breakfast juice bar.

More bad experiences:
New room-Once we moved to the pool room we got to use the pool once only because we would call for someone to clean the pool but it took up to two hours for someone to come! And then it would rain by that time and we never got to enjoy it:( once we found a bird stuck in the pool helped it out and asked someone to come help and clean the pool two hours later housekeeping came but not for the pool after going to the front desk to find someone English speaking we finally had someone come:( the pool room was nice except the door wouldn't close properly which meant Mosquitos could enter easily..
Food- only two restaurants did not enjoy the food and very expensive! Not to mention a 10% service charge on all meals plus %7 tax and that is not including your tip. If you have any allegergies or food restrictions not very accommodating. Mostly everything had meat or was being prepared with cross contamination. Any special requests (ie can you use a clean pan for my egg) was very difficult as they did not understand English aside from limited options it was very difficult to get changes made to anything.
Beach- very dissapointing small strip which was very rocky and two dogs roaming around.
Pools:infinity pool is beautiful but if you don't have kids not the best pool as lots of kids around. Sanctuary pool was nice and quiet adults only but very dirty and unkept.

Location: it is secluded which I wanted and liked but given the expensive and limited food options not a good idea. You can take a shuttle to chaewaeng beach better and cheaper food but I still prefer melatis secluded location as chaewang was very busy and dirty. Surrounding areas were not very attractive.

My suggestions for the resort:
- if they had vegetarian and allergy friendly practices (ie keep veg and not veg food separate to minimize cross contamination, more veg options..incorporate veg friendly training for staff so even if they can't speak English they can understand the importance of cultural differences, education on nut allergies).
- room 104 untill renovated and AC fixed don't book people there...we pay a lot of money and travel far and expect better service at a 5 star hotel...it would be nice to fix up the garden area also so it's actually useable.
-don't charge for the shuttle, and or make more food options available
-get new better quality towels and make sure bed linens clean always
-clean the sanctuary poor more frequently. Clean private pools atleast within half hour (I called over an hour ago and i am still waiting as we speak on my last day:( )

People considering to book:
Ensure you get a decent room, you
don't need to pay for the pool room just make sure you don't end up with one like ours (please note we were told it's scheduled for renovations). If you end up in our situation tell then immediately the room needs to be changed because there are better rooms. If you have food restrictions I strongly suggest pick another resort.

Where we have stayed in the past as comparisons: sandals, sheraton hotels, Marriots, fairmont and most recently Fraser place.

Overall: people were great place was not 5 star.

• Stayed February 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Fquraishi
Dear Fquraishi,

Thank you for staying with us recently to celebrate your anniversary.

While we do make attempts to upgrade for special occasions, it is subject to occupancy, event, length of stay and other. I am sorry we were unable to meet your expectations in this area.

Your additional comments are well noted and will be considered as we continually review and improve our programs, service and maintenance.

Again, thank you and I wish you a Happy Anniversary!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

We stayed at the Melati for our honeymoon & can't say enough positive things about the resort!

The service we received was fantastic. All the staff were so friendly & wanting to help with everything. Our room was very clean & serviced daily.

We had breakfast included with our accommodation which was great. It was a buffet with an egg & juice station. From bacon, potatoes, cereal, fruit, noodles, pasta, muffins, smoked salmon etc, anything you could think of they had.

The resort is located about 10mins from the main shopping & tourist district, 'chawang'. It Is a perfect location, secluded & private but also close enough to Chawang if we wanted to go in.

I cannot recommend this resort enough to fellow honeymooners & anyone else wanting a five star holiday.

A special thank you to Tien who went out of his way for us & was happy to help with our every request. Thank you so much, you really made our holiday!

Can't wait to come back!

Jessica & Anthony.

• Stayed February 2012
Dear JessAnth,

Thank you for your feedback.

I will share your comments with Khun Tien whom I am sure will be thrilled to know he has put a smile on yet another guests face! And hopefully memories in your heart forever.

Until we can welcome you again, take care.