“Beautiful setting in Wharfedale”

Wood Hall Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Collingham
Reviewed 23 March 2012

The stretch of Wharfedale between Harewood and Collingham, north of Leeds, provides one of the most beautiful landscapes in England. Wood Hall is perched in an isolated setting to the north of the valley, looking across the rive to Collingham. It's a splendid building, with a central doorway inside a columned porch, and the main reception rooms on either side. Who would guess that 60 years ago this was a boys' preparatory school; the dining room was once the schoolroom, but the lounge, which still has bookcases on either side of the central fireplace, is still reminiscent of the headmaster's old library. It was and is a wonderful setting. Today the dining room and bedrooms are decorated in elegant greys and silvers, and the staff are charming. Still, there are matters which the management must get to grips with. My fixed price dinner looked lovely on the plate, but presentation does not necessarily mean culinary quality. I would have preferred gravadlax more thinly sliced and not so fatty, and I wonder why a simple panfried breast of chicken should be so tough. But the home-made breads were excellent, as was the passsion fruit creme brulee. And so was breakfast the following morning. Back in the bedroom, with its breathtaking view, it was a pity to find it was so dimly lit that I could not do my work at the elegant black desk, and that the desk light was not working. The trouser press did not seem to function either. In the bathroom, the water outflow was unacceptably poor. At £156 for dinner, bed and breakfast, this Yorkshire hotel claims to be in the upper decile for the area. It's wonderful to look good and have smiling staff who greet you by name, but success is all in the detail. Here, there's work to be do at Wood Hall. Back to school?

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank Horace4590
Write a ReviewReviews (1,076)

Reviewed 29 February 2012

I booked a one night stay at Wood Hall in late January as part of my girlfriends birthday weekend, we wanted a relaxing couple of days away in a nice spa hotel, having read the reviews on here I thought I'd found the perfect place.

I booked a single night stay in a deluxe room including meals and spa treatments for £401, directly from Hand Picked's website.

On arrival we were really impressed with the hotels setting and the member of staff that welcomed us was very friendly and helpful. We were shown to our room (Sycamore) and at a glance everything seamed nice. However as you looked at things closer the furniture was all scratched and quite worn in places, fair enough I thought. Then I pulled the roller blinds down on the main window of the room… they were covered in dead flies and insects that had been squashed and not cleaned off, it was disgusting, the same was true for the blind in the bathroom - see pictures.

We got ready and went to have a look at the spa as this was really the main reason for our visit. We were greeted by friendly staff who showed us around the facilities. A 10 meter pool, a jacuzzi and a steam room that was barely big enough for 2 people to sit in comfortably. The relaxation area was just the reception area of the spa with people coming and going all the time and deliveries being carted around.

We had a quick swim and went back to our room to get ready for dinner.

We went down for dinner in advance of our booked time, we were shown to the lounge area and given menus however we had to call the server back to take our drinks order and then we were left to look through the menus. Our allotted dining time came and went and we hadn't even had our order taken. I spoke with the receptionist and he promptly showed us to our seats and our order was taken shortly after that.

The meal and service during the meal was fantastic, although we had to pay extra (on top of the £401 which included meals) for some menu choices. Our starters, mains and deserts were delicious and I'd highly recommend the steak options. The young lady that served us, with short dark hair, was very polite and attentive.

We retired to our room for a good nights sleep, well that was the aim, however the air conditioning unit in the room was so loud my girlfriend couldn't sleep and we couldn't find the switch or control point to turn the thing off.

We ordered breakfast in bed for the morning, it arrived on time and was nice enough. The TV would not work, which wasn't the end of the world but annoying as I like to watch the news in a morning with my breakfast.

We had showers and made our way to the spa for our treatments, a 30 minute neck, back and shoulders massage and a express 30 minute facial. Again the staff were nice and friendly however the treatment rooms were very cramped.

After our treatments we were told to enjoy the spa for the rest of the day… we had a swim, went in the jacuzzi, went in the steam room and then well, there wasn't anything else to do so we thought we'd go for our lunch.

Lunch was lovely and the lady that served us was very pleasant.

After lunch, I settled our bill and if I'm honest I just wanted to get home get into bed to relax.

For the one night stay it totaled about £450, I didn't I got my moneys worth at all.

We both set out to have nice relaxing couple of days but left feeling really irritable from a bad nights sleeps and a series of disappointments.

Good Points:

- Staff
- Location
- Food

Bad Points:

- Parts of the room were dirty and in need of refurbishment - see pictures
- The spa is not a Spa, it was just standard hotel facilities as far as I'm concerned
- Poor nights sleep

I put all of this in an email to the hotel manager, it took almost three weeks to get a response after chasing it up with head office. The hotel manager apologised and said if I book again she'll see to it that we get some 'preferential treatment'… no thanks.

We were actually using this trip as part of our search for potential wedding venues however based on our experience it's well and truly off our list of potential venues.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jamesj35mm
Reviewed 13 February 2012

We have stayed at Wood Hall several times and have always had a lovely time.

Special mention to the restaurant staff (including the breakfast team) - always friendly, pleasant and helpful and the food is delicious.

Very relaxing stay. Room very hot, even with the window open and a severe frost. Only niggles - our bill was wrong (again!) - it is every time, but no quibbles, it was corrected immediately. Little touches from the room have gone since our last visit = no sewing kit, emery board, cotton wool pads, laundry bag, no shower cap the second day, no current magazines in the room. This should not happen in a 4 star hotel.

But would still recommend the hotel for a pleasant stay and lovely food.

Room Tip: front facing
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank greenfield31
Reviewed 13 February 2012

My wife and I stayed here for our first wedding anniversary using the Sunday Club offer. A Nov sunday we were warmly greeted and personally shown to our beautiful room. The room was suitably equipped with a few nice touches : a personally written card to congratulate us on our wedding anniversary, dvd menu allowing you to pick and have a dvd sent to your room (subject to availability) great if you are on business and bored plus coffee was fresh with a cafetierre.
After checking out our room we went down to our reserved table for freshly made scones with a lovely made jam all served by a lovely roaring fire. After tea/coffee and these delightful treats we went back to the room for a rest. After leaving enough time to digest we made our way to the spa, a great facility with excellent sized pool and lovely relaxing lighting. We were the only ones in there from 7-8 when it closed, how relaxing and we sharpened our appetite for the evening meal.
The meal was stunning, we had cocktails in the bar beforehand and were then taken to the formal but relaxed restaurant. The food was fantastic, well cooked with excellent flavours and superbly presented. I really liked the steak I had with desserts to die for.
The following morning we were treated to a fabulous Sunday morning breakfast, albeit on a Monday, then retired back to the fireplace where I read a broadsheet from cover to cover.
We then explored the grounds before checking out and heading for nearby Harrogate.
The staff at this hotel were the real bonus, despite being fairly young the level of service was exemplary, attentive and genuine. We needed some extra pillows, no problem they were brought up immediately. They really made our stay extra memorable and we hope to return again and again, as we have never felt so relaxed.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 February 2012

I got married here at the end of 2011 and had the most wonderful time. My family and I stayed the evening before and had a bar meal in the lounge in front of the fire. There was another wedding on but this didn't impact on us at all. We used the spa and had a really relaxing evening.

It was raining heavily when i arrived and Tom on reception came out with an umberella, a lovely touch.

The day itself went smoothly and was just perfect. All our guests commented on how well the service and wedding breakfast had run. We had a four course meal and amazing canapes. The food was absolutely spot on and plentiful.

Although it was December we had wonderful photographs outside in the beautiful gardens due to the mild weather. The venue is so impressive from the first views on arrival right down to each room.

Jon, our master of ceremonies did a wonderful job organising us all on the day and i'm very thankful to all at Wood Hall for their care and attention to detail

If you are looking for a wedding venue with wow factor but still retaining intimacy I can't remcommend Wood Hall highly enough. We took the exclusive use package which meant we had the whole hotel to ourselves and this was well worth the extra money.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank hbnmdm
Also consider these accommodations in or near Collingham
7.3 km away
19.1 km away
Oulton Hall & Spa
Oulton Hall & Spa
#1 of 1 in Oulton

Been to Wood Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!