“the best of its kind”
Review of Aliwagwag Falls

Aliwagwag Falls
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Cateel
Reviewed 24 June 2017

Cateel has fast developed from the devastation due to a typhoon.

Now they developed this attraction the best of its kind. the amenities and facilities are all guaranteed safe and clean and recommendable.

Canteen is within, picnic tables provided, clean and spacious rest rooms, parking is wide, lodging place in available.

If one is coming from Davao City, take the northbound bus like going to the town of Compostela. That is the shortest route. From there the group can hire a van to go Aliwagwag Eco-Park. Bring your own food, ready to pay 50 pesos for the entrance fee. This Eco-Park is still midway to the town center but you can proceed to Cateel proper for sight seeing or prefer to stay for the night. It is facing the Pacific ocean, so you might as well experience the ocean view.

All reviews
in 9 reviews
"pesos"
"travel"

Reviewed 19 June 2017 via mobile

My friends and 2 of my younger siblings (8 & 10), had the best time here. Aliwagwag is a couple of hours away from my home, and since I was working outside the country, I haven't had the chance to visit it for a decade now. After Typhoon Pablo hit my place, Aliwagwag was one of the place where it hit hard, trees fell down and it looked bare, old, dirty; yet still strong and beautiful. When I saw on news that they restored it and actually add some more for tourists, I knew I had to visit it again on my next vacation, and I definitely did.

The motorcycling, the scenery, the weather (cloudy with a chance of meatballs), made it all perfect. Since we only rented a tricycle, we literally walked from Brgy. Aragon (we came through Cateel) to the falls since our ride can't get us through the bents and curves, ascends and descends of the place. But wow, was it magnificent. It made all the walkings more fun.

So we arrived with our tougues lulling on our mouth (haha) and found out that the actual entrance to thw famous park is CLOSED! The caretaker told us to go on the other side and just get in that way. We did. Well, I did after telling him to tell his boss that the park cannot just close because there's no cashier; and that they spend a lot of money in developing it and that we spend a lot of time walking just to get there and be dissappointed.

Long story short, we still enjoyed ourselves jumping off the lagoons way higher than the prohibited ones . We get to use tables ang get inside without entrance so we really did saved a lot of money haha.

It was still awesome, magnanimous, strong and amazingly beautiful. It rained after an hour so it was a triple treat we had. Man, such a bliss.

Reviewed 11 June 2017

One of our stops during my "van tour" in the vicinity of Surigao. In fact it was one of our last stops. I've said it before, one of the, many, benefits of making friends with locals is they can show you sights and attractions that are well off the beaten path. Everyone knows about Boracay, Bohol, and Palawan, but not many know about Camiguin and Britania. The big advantage of these out of the way places is because they aren't visited nearly as much, they tend to be closer to their pristine state, quiet, and cleaner.
Aliwagwag Falls fits this description. The place had little development around it, was kept fairly clean, and though there was the bustle of visitors, not so much so that it affected the enjoyment. There were more foreign tourists than at the other places, they appeared mostly to be from China or Korea (Not complaining, simply making observations). The park was also well-developed. There appeared to be new or at least well maintained buildings, a small canteen with picnic tables was there.
They had an awesome looking zipline which sadly was closed for maintenance during our visit, the views must have been awesome from that vantage point. The falls were also in tiers like the Tinuy-an Falls. During the hike to the source, there was a "monkey bridge", which had limits on how many people can cross. At the end, there were small pavilions with benches you could rest. We sat and enjoyed the views while the kids in the group had a field day in the water.
The park is built and maintained comparable to levels seen in developed countries, a stark contrast to the other attractions I've been to in the Philippines. Yet the entrance fees were 50PHP a head, and the small children got in free. The bathrooms were clean, the staff helpful, even assisting us setting up our food at the picnic tables. We didn't stay overnight so I can't say how the lodging is, but based on what I've seen of the rest of the park, I would gamble they were very good as well.
As with the other attractions in the area, getting here is the biggest challenge, but certainly possible. I recommend for the adventurous and eco-tourists if they make it in the area, take advantage and see all the hidden gems.

Reviewed 3 May 2017

A day-trip from Davao City with family and friends. Aliwagwag Falls EcoPark is a very refreshing stop. Picnic tables are provided. And for a few pesos you can cross the falls on a "monkey bridge". Note, the hike to the monkey bridge is moderately strenuous, not for everyone.

See more reviews
Reviewed 15 February 2017

1) The waterfalls are one of the best that I have seen in the whole Philippines.
2) The waterfalls are just a stone's throw away from the highway. You can view the cascades from the road.
3) The facilities of Aliwagwag Falls Eco-Park are very good. There are very decent and well-designed guest-houses and dining areas. There are sufficient parking spaces for vehicles, especially buses. There is even a souvenir shop and canteens. The entrance/registration booth is well-designed. The bathrooms are very clean. The toilets near the souvenir shop are surprisingly decent, like the ones you see in some hotels. There are even wood carvings in the facade/signs at the park, very classy. The road going to Aliwagwag Falls is well-maintained and concreted. You don't expect to see such good facilities in a typical remote area.

I commend the efforts of the local government of Cateel and the tourism office of Davao Oriental. They have done a great job in making this destination one of the best. They have set a standard in terms of architectural design, sufficiency, and cleanliness of facilities.

2  Thank Jose B