All reviews treetop bure the yasawa flyer fish blue lagoon low tide our honeymoon lounge area hour boat ride new owners ceiling fan solar power fiji time the beach is great sawa i lau sandy beach lunch and dinner tea house
Reviewed 3 December 2017 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend had a wonderful stay at Nanuya Island resort! We stayed there for 8 nights, mainly to relax. The staff was absoluteley amazing, so lovely! They seemed like they really cared about us, and everyone was smiling, welcoming and easy to talk to. We really loved the staff. The place is beautiful. The reef not far from the resort is really cool, a lot of nice fish to see. Free paddling board, kayak, snorkelling gear ++. The food is spot on, so delicious. The chefs are doing a great job. Mainly 3-5 choices for lunch and dinner everyday, with really good quality. Different menu everyday. The room is clean and tidy. This place is worth every cent we payed. Definetely a place worth to visit. They have different activites you can do, and there is always a water taxi you can order if you want to visit other places. We chosed this resort mainly because this resort was the one with least bad reviews, and we dont regret it. Its definetely nothing bad to say about this place. They could have upgraded the table tennis though. Poor standard.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mats ruben o
Timoci T, Manager at Nanuya Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2017

Bula Vinaka Mats,

We are so glad that you enjoyed your time with us. We certainly enjoyed our time with you. You've said above that " They seemed like they really cared about us"....well..we do. Its in our nature. I know you live on the other side of the world, but if you need a break from life, come back and visit us and recharge
You'll be glad to know that we have totally upgraded the table tennis area. New balls, New bats and the area proper cleared. I think you'll be happy with it.
Take care and stay blessed.

Reviewed 7 November 2017 via mobile

We loved this place! The snorkeling in the blue lagoon is amazing!! By yourself but also the guided snorkeling tour is amazing! Our little house had the beautiful view over the sea! Amazing! Only a clime up the hill! The ritual Fiji evening is a lot of fun! The restaurant is perfect, lovely food! The snorkels and surfboard etc are complementary! Only thing is you have to buy wifi and it only works in the restaurant. But you have to go here! All the staff makes you feel if you are at home! And also take a massage it the best here!

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MLips1
Timoci T, Manager at Nanuya Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2017

Bula Vinaka Maud Lips,

Thank you for your kind comments and I am really glad you enjoyed your time here at Nanuya. I hope that spending your birthday here, was a tropical birthday to remember. Thank you for taking the time to come and sit on the Kava Mat and mingle with the staff. Much appreciated. I know the Netherlands is a long way away, but if you do return to this part of the world, make sure you come pay us a visit.

Reviewed 6 November 2017

This was our 3rd visit to Nanuya Island Resort, and once again we enjoyed ourselves immensely. It has changed since our 1st visit in 2014 before the current owners. It is busier with the addition of the Boat House and the store and the yachties; however, it still has a lot to offer.
In looking at some of the reviews, I have noticed complaints and criticisms about things which I don't agree with. As examples, I've read that people have been unhappy about the seawall build in front of the resort or the poor snorkelling in front of the resort or the lack of air conditioning in the treetop units or poor wi-fi service or the noise of creepers and crawlers at night or the intrusion of the new owners. I just want expression my views.
I think the seawall is necessary to prevent the erosion that occurs and to keep the resort from disappearing into the sea. I don't find it unsightly. I enjoy the lounge chairs and sunscreens that are at the edge of the seawall. For people who want a sandy beach to sun and swim, a few minutes walk will take you to a sandy beach. As far as snorkelling out in front of the resort, if you swim out around the platform to to the right of it, you can see healthy corals growing thanks to Moses' coral planting. The variety of fish is amazing. So much better than 2014 and better than the point at the end of Blue Lagoon (which does have some bigger fish). And I find the access at high tide out to the platform area good, but in low tide, I find it easier to go through the boat channel. In Fiji there are other resorts such as Octopus where the access to reel snorkelling is best through the boat channel. I wear a bright coloured swim cap to make myself visible to my partner and any boat or seaplane traffic in the area.
The treetop bures don't have air conditioning, but the room description states that, so guests shouldn't be surprised that there isn't any. The lower level villas do. So I guess it's a matter of priorities when booking. I pleased when there is wifi, even if it is not available free for 24/7. In Fiji, the wifi can be down a lot too. It's a small island in the Pacific subject to storms. Also, Fiji is tropical. This resort is on a tropical island, so I don't think it's surprising that you will hear nocturnal critters. If you're lucky. a gecko or two may join you in your bure! It is Fiji after all.
As far as the new owners' changes and presence at the resort, would I rather Nanuya had stayed small and not expanded? Would I rather yachties didn't come ashore to the lounge and restaurant. Yes, but the owners have their own vision and have made it their home. By the way, huge kudos to the owners for green improvements to the resort and for building new staff quarters. The new staff quarters seem to superior to most other resorts, built on prime real estate instead of tucked away behind wall. The owners have hired a Fijian manager who has experience from other Fijian resorts. I think hiring this local manager is a good move.
I do have a suggestion. Have extra dining room staff on (if possible) when yachties come for drinks and dinner, so that service to house guests isn't diminished. Additional seating in the lounge when the yachties visit would also be welcome, since the whole lounge area is easily taken up by guests from yachts.
Will we go back to Guyana on our next and 5th visit to Fiji? Yes, we will. It is a lovely place to travel to for holidays. The staff is amazing. We enjoyed all the snorkelling and coral planting with Moses. The Meke and Nanuya Flavours night was great! We really enjoyed that meal and the villagers' performance was fun. We love to visit Fiji and Nanuya because it is not like home. We expect and want to experience someplace different from our own experience. It's an adventure for us where we feel very welcome.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank GoingHolidaying

A big warm BULA to you from Nanuya!!!
Its one of those perfect lazy days here at the resort and I thank you for taking time to write a review, and we appreciate your kind comments. We pay particular attention to comments from returnee guests, and having been here 3 times already, its nice to see you chronicle the improvements you've seen, not only at the resort, but also the improvements to the surrounding reefs, thanks in large to Moses's coral planting. Take care, and we look forward to seeing you again here in the not too distant future..Moce mada..

Reviewed 4 November 2017

What a wonderful find at the top of the Yaswasas. Not only home grown organic produce but a sustainable resort in paradise.
A big thank you to the owners Val and Ivan Parker for the tour of the resort and their hospitality .Their vision for creating a sustainable environment for tourists and locals is a credit to their hardworking ethos.
Accommodation in the deluxe villa was a perfect setting to relax and soak up the ambiance.Homemade breads and jams were a treat as were all the locally grown produce served in the restaurant .Water is plentiful as they have their own desalination plant and solar power is used,
The villas are beautifully finished with a lot of thought gone into the recently refurbished interior design .

Thanks Again for a wonderful stay

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank amyoung6
Timoci T, Manager at Nanuya Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2017

Bula Vinaka,

Vina Du Riki (Thank you) for your comments. We are very proud of the fact that we serve our guests fresh home grown produce from our gardens, and seafood from the seas nearby. There is no need, we reckon of shipping all your seafood from the mainland like other resorts do. Our vision has always been and still remains; to have the smallest ecological footprint of any resort in Fiji. That's the aim and that's what we are striving for....And its nice when our guests notice and acknowledge the efforts we have put in. I will pass on your thanks to the owners, Mr and Mrs. Parker.

Reviewed 29 October 2017

Firstly, travelling is a luxury afforded to very few in this world. There’s also a culture today where many people expect absolute perfection in every situation. We are not those people, however when you’re paying north of $750AUD per night, it’s reasonable to expect a certain level of experience.

We stayed in the 'Honeymoon Suite', with private beachfront access. Although we didn’t expect this, as the advertisement on Expedia just said ‘King Room with Sea View’. It was nice, inside its own compound with a nice garden, certainly seems we paid Honeymoon prices for it though.

AWESOMES

1) Access to the 'Blue Lagoon' at the other end of the beach was spectacular for snorkelling.

2) As always in Fiji, the staff were excellent, reliable, very friendly and made a real effort to remember our names. My wife had an allergic reaction to some sea moss while snorkelling and they were very helpful and able to provide anti-histamines, then constantly checking on her for the remainder of the trip.

3) The food in the restaurant each night was really good, by head-chef Patrick and reasonably priced.

4) The spa is great, we had a massage and it was a really good experience. Reasonably priced as well.

5) Personally I really enjoyed chilling out in the evenings with the GM Tim and the guys playing guitar and learning about Fiji. Awesome bunch of guys!

6) The beaches and walks on Nanuya Island are great, go for a walk around/over the island to Lo’s Tea House, really nice lady! If walking around at low-tide just be prepared to get your feet dirty walking through the mangroves.

7) The 4G coverage is superb! Really good data and phone coverage with a tower literally line of sight on the next island.

SUGGESTIONS

1) Come up with a checklist of things that need to be checked in the room before new guests arrive. For example, the Spa didn’t work until the 3rd day when we finally asked for it to be looked at. The lamp beside our bed was badly broken with exposed wires. Handles fell off the drawers in the cabana when opened, there was a lot of dirt and detritus inside one of the cabana draws also. The intercom wasn’t working. It’s the little things like this that make the difference.

2) The very badly broken window in the Honeymoon suite needs to be fixed. It wasn’t our honeymoon, but if we were honeymooners I would think this would be a real disappointment to be honest. When you are paying $750AUD per night, things like this should be ideally fixed well-beforehand or at least explained before you enter the room, apologies made and reimbursements/discounts provided. None of this happened unfortunately.

3) There has been some other comments regarding the brick block seawall that greets you as you arrive at the property. We appreciate global warming and/or the affect tropical cyclones have in this area, there is no denying nature. However, you could consider stucko’ing or plastering over this, i.e. a terracotta type render and get rid of the astro-turf. This would make the first impression much more appealing.

4) Provide service i.e. drinks/food at the beachside bure's, this would certainly have improved the relaxation factor and make it more of a full service resort.

Overall we had a very relaxing stay, and were sad to leave. However I think the accommodation was a bit over-priced. I certainly wouldn’t stay here in the ‘King Room with Sea View’ again. Probably just a tree-top bure for maybe half/two-thirds the price. Otherwise, you’re paying full price, where the attention to detail is kind of missing. Construction seems to have cut a few corners, but it costs nearly the same as some of the bigger resorts.

Aside from that, the people and the island are fantastic. So we looked past the little issues and got on with our holiday.

Room Tip: Wouldn't go for the 'King Room with Sea View', though it had A/C where others didn't apparently.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Patrick S
Timoci T, Manager at Nanuya Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2017

Bula Patrick,

Thank you for your response, and I'm glad that overall... you enjoyed your stay. I will definitely forward your complements to the Head Chef, to the band boys and to our ladies at the Spa. Generally everything is checked in each room before it is released for guests, and the Head Housekeeper had checked to make sure that your personal spa was working before releasing the room for check-in. She was quite surprised when I raised your point that the spa wasn't working for the first three days.
You'll be happy to know that the broken glass door has now been fixed. The replacement had been ordered before your arrival, but the logistics of getting things to these outer islands is a story on its own. It missed the barge before your check-in, and we had it fixed after your check-out. My apologies that it wasn't done sooner. Get in touch with us directly if you're coming back, and I will see what I can do for you:) !!!