2,720 results
All reviews main restaurant half board beach bar sea view kids club main pool mini bar family room aquila rithymna large hotel waiter service themed nights thomson rep buffet restaurant evening entertainment all inclusive package the main block
Reviewed 10 July 2018

I booked this hotel through Tui. It wasn't a budget price but neither was it expensive. We had it in our heads that it would be a standard hotel with a comfortable room and decent food. It was much more than this. Yes, the room lived up to my expectations but the food was surprisingly tasty, plenty of it and very varied with some nice local Cretan food. The hotel faces on to its own private beach with parasols and loungers provided free of charge (a first for me!). The hotel also provided beach towels free of charge which could be exchanged for clean ones as often as you want. There were a choice of pools if you didn't fancy the beach. There was entertainment every night which was certainly worth watching. The hotel also organised a cocktail party for all Tui guests where we were met by senior hotel staff including the General Manager. This was not a Tui initiative - it was the hotel which treated us. A very nice touch I thought. The hotel staff were all very friendly and helpful and all spoke very good English. You will not find many UK guests at this hotel - they seem to be mainly German, Scandinavian, French and Eastern European. The hotel is local to shops and restaurants if you prefer to look outside of the hotel. Rethymnon is the nearest town which is a 20 minute bus ride. The bus stop is right outside the hotel and it will cost you €1.80. This town is well worth a visit and has a marvelous Venetian fortress. The hotel is 40 years old and is starting to show its age in places but it was spotlessly clean and I would not hesitate to go back there again.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ianburn
General M, General Manager at Aquila Rithymna Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2018

Dear Guest

I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us, and that we exceeded your expectations.

It is always our priority to ensure that our valued guests are provided with the best possible service and experience whilst with us, and to learn that our guests have thoroughly enjoyed their time with us, is extremely rewarding indeed. I will certainly be sharing your very complimentary comments with the rest of my team who, together with me, would like to thank you for taking time out of your day to write such wonderful review.

Thank you for choosing to spend your holiday time with us at the Rithymna Beach Hotel, and I certainly hope we have the pleasure of your company again in the future.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed 9 July 2018 via mobile

Myself and my partner have come back off holiday from this hotel, the hotel is beautiful and in a great location, we were half board and swapped our evening meals for lunch the food was ok but A lot of the time was much of the same sort of thing and unless you are all inclusive the price of the drinks is quite steep for instance a beer and warm lemonade out of a plastic bottle 10 Euro, same thing in Rethymnon 7 Euro, on the subject of cost we enquired about the possibility of keeping our room on as we had a late flight it was roughly 80 Euro plus for 4 hours!! We’ve stayed in many 5 star hotels and never seen this price before... and the room they offered you to freshen up in was given for 20 Minutes!! Which is barely enough time to have a shower let alone the rest of getting ready, as a result of this we checked out at 12 and went into Rethymnon leaving the cases in the jam packed luggage room we came back to the hotel around 8 got our cases out which was quite difficult as the luggage room was full to the brim, whilst I went to the reception to enquire about the freshening up room to change clothes my partner waited in the reception with the cases but was moved on by staff as there are no suitcases allowed in reception! We needed the cases to get our fresh clothes and were being picked up at 930 so why struggle again with the cases for that amount of time it’s ridiculous, eventually they were put behind reception but the fuss made made us feel very uncomfortable, I absolutely feel that visually the hotel is perfect but things like the above need improving and looking at. However I will say that we celebrated our anniversary whilst here which the hotel acknowledged with a lovely cake which was a nice touch. Most of the staff where polite enough but the same can’t be said for everyone we found some of the staff mainly on the reception desk rude and unhelpful, all in all our holiday was amazing but unfortunately we won’t return to this hotel.

Stayed: June 2018
1  Thank Natalie P
General M, General Manager at Aquila Rithymna Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2018

Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing the Aquila Rithymna Beach Hotel for your holiday and for taking the time to provide us with such a positive review.

I am pleased to hear that there were clearly so many aspects of our hotel which you enjoyed and that overall you had a pleasant stay. Your comments regarding the problems you experienced on your departure day have been noted and I do apologise for any dissatisfaction and inconvenience caused. Please be assured this is not indicative of our usual standard of service and I will address the matter with my team.

I also note that you also celebrated your Wedding Anniversary whilst staying with us and on behalf of the whole of my team we would like to say Congratulations!

Thank you once again for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback and I do hope you may reconsider returning in the near future.

Reviewed 8 July 2018 via mobile

Overall I would say I had a pretty good time here with my partner. We were greeted nicely and had a good room with a sea view. The room was nice and clean however the bathroom was a little dated and the shower just seemed to dribble on you. We had the premium inclusive package so ate ate the restaurant some nights. The food was good and was always fresh, however a lack of choice. Most nights the same sort of food was on and not enough variety. The restaurant also requires men to wear trousers which I have nothing against but when a lot of people are wearing tracksuit bottoms or heavily ripped jeans I think the standard is low and therefor they shouldn’t try to be something they’re really not. Specially in the heat.
Facility’s were good. Good pools. The hotel do have a no reservation policy on sunbeds but very often we found that we couldn’t get one as people had left things on them for hours without coming back. Sometimes staff removed stuff but not as often as the probably should.
At the end we were hit with a €50 Euro bill for residents tax. We didn’t really long ok it up before we came but no one said about it till check out which was pretty annoying.
Overall it was a good stay, just a few petty things which were annoying.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Alex K
General M, General Manager at Aquila Rithymna Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2018

Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing the Aquila Rithymna Beach Hotel for your holiday and for taking the time to provide us with your review.

I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay and that our hotel fulfilled all of your holiday needs. My team will be delighted to know that they met your expectations in every way and I am sure they would wish for me to thank you personally for your kind comments on their behalf.

We are always very appreciative of all feedback we receive and thank you for taking the time to provide your review.

It was our great pleasure to host you and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed 8 July 2018

Have just returned after a week at this lovely hotel, nice spacious room little bit dated but adequate for our needs as we don’t spend much time in the room, basket of fruit and bottle of wine on arrival which was nice. We were all inclusive and was a bit worried before I went as previous reviews stated that not everything was included however I needn’t have worried as the drink and food was superb with branded spirits and a good selection of cocktails. The service we received in the hotel was excellent,we only tried the Asian night in the taverna and again food and atmosphere superb. It was our wedding anniversary on our last day and we received a lovely cake delivered to our room which was a nice touch. Couple of negatives the rule of men wearing long trousers for dinner was a bit of a pain for my husband, I understand being smart however I think in this day and age smart dress shorts should be acceptable surely they would look better than people wearing track suit bottoms. The beach is very stony especially by the water edge with a steep step down into sea not a major problem and beware the sand does get very hot!. Overall we had a fantastic week and can see us returning in the future. Special mention to Klio on the lobby bar who did a great job supplying us with drinks all week. Thank you Aquila Rithymana Beach & everyone there keep up the good work.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cresslin

Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing the Aquila Rithymna Beach Hotel and for taking the time to provide us with your excellent review.

I was delighted to learn that your holiday with us was a truly memorable one and that we exceeded your expectations. It is always so wonderful to receive such a positive personal recommendation. Your praise has been shared with the whole of my team.

Your comments regarding long trousers being required in the restaurant have been noted. This is quite commonplace in many hotels, however I am sorry if you were unaware of this, I do hope it did not cause you too much inconvenience.

I note that you also celebrated your Wedding Anniversary whilst staying with us and on behalf of the whole of my team we would like to say Congratulations!

Thank you once again for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed 7 July 2018

Firstly, this hotel is not a five star - it's a four star. What you would expect from a five star hotel the Aquila Rethymna Beach Hotel (ARBH) doesn't deliver. I'll go on to discuss this. Me and my better half are a twenty something couple without children, we aren't the 'clubbing' type on holiday, so a relaxing stay for a week in a five star hotel all inclusive is right up our street.

Before i start, if you're thinking of booking all inclusive, skip to the 'food & drink' of this review, this will give you a good feel of the hotel. I will summarise my feelings at the bottom.

General Feel
I got a general feeling around the hotel that there is a 'sales culture'. Whilst this isn't in your face, the spa staff CAN (not do) talk to you up to 2/3 times a day trying to sell you a massage or the like. Also, there are photographers that do similar, they peddle the fact it's free, when you need to pay for the photo's at the end. Whilst this isn't much of a problem, it should be made very clear, and not mentioned at the end of their 'pitch'.

Whilst we were in the hotel there is a very multicultural feel, which personally i like. The main nationality in the hotel is Russian, and then i would stay French/German, with not many English speaking guests. This can be a problem for some, but wasn't for me. I somewhat liked it.

Pool
There are 3 pools. The main pool is massive. It's great. But it's saltwater. The other two pools are small, one is near the beach and another is round the back. There aren't many beds near the main pool, in comparison with the number of guests. Due to the differing nationalities in the hotel, it's hard to get a bed after 9am, the staff do nothing about taking towels off beds that aren't used. The pool near the beach is heavily children involved, and the beach round the back is very quiet.

The lifeguard is great, really friendly.

The main pool is painted blue - this blue paint comes off onto your feet, so be prepared to look like a smurf. One day they cordoned off part of the pool to paint it white, where the 'instagrammers' like to have their picture taken. There was another day where it looked like a lady cut her foot in the pool, so half the pool was cordoned off and out of use.

Rooms
The rooms are where we feel let this hotel down. Whilst the rooms are a very good size, they aren't to a high enough quality for a 5 star. The walls, floors, and ceiling are made of paper. The room above us dropped something that bounced a number of times, me and my partner jumped out of bed because we thought it was in our room - that's how shallow the floors/walls/ceiling are.

The bathroom was 'ok', and only ok. It did a job to get ready in for a night out but it was not five star luxury. A shower in the bath... In a five star?

There was also a day our toilet bin wasn't emptied - if you've been to Greece before you'll know this is an issue. We phoned reception immediately because the cleaners were still on our floor and they said they'd sort it, they didn't when we returned later in the day. My partner then went downstairs to complain to reception and again we were told it would be sorted. It wasn't. This is a sanitary issue, and this is why i have give 3 stars instead of 4.

Food & Drinks
The food was exceptional. Absolutely brilliant. How you can cater to that many people, with such brilliant food, with such consistency was amazing. Breakfast, lunch and dinner all consistent. The taverna was nice also, however if you're on all inclusive be award only pick the 'house symbol' meals. There's about 6-8 to choose from otherwise you'll be charged a pretty penny for a salad. this attributed to the 'sales culture' feel.

The drinks were branded drinks, there is no questioning that. However, the staff serve you half and halves. So if you asked for a rum and coke, you'd get rum poured from a havana bottle, up to half way the cup, if not over, and topped up with coca cola (branded). Now, i questioned to my partner whether these drinks had the alcohol content you would expect from a branded drink so i put it to the test. I had 3 rum and cokes in 20 minutes without having breakfast. This to me was a test, if i had done this at home i'd have had to go back to bed. I didn't even have a wobble. I find it hard to believe that these drinks have the alcohol content you would expect from branded drinks.

Staff
The staff were fantastic. The two or three days we stayed around the 'other pool' around the back of the hotel, Sofia and the young lad with the hat on were great. They were fun, they were professional, they remembered your room number and your order. I felt at ease speaking with these two. The young lad had good english and was obviously keen to improve.

One morning i went for breakfast and it took 10 minutes to get a knife and fork and coffee as this is served to you. There was also a lady behind reception that had an attitude, not once did we speak out of turn to her, but she didn't feel bothered about our questions, whilst other reception staff did.

Overall however, the staff make this hotel a 5 star. From the kitchen staff, the bar staff, the cleaners, the guys that take your suitcase. They're all really professional and they really do deserve more praise.

Facilities
The facilities were good. The toilets in public areas exceptionally clean. Pools massive.

Entertainment
We weren't once directed to the ampitheater where everything seems to happen? We weren't made aware of anything happening anywhere in the evenings apart from on our second from last day. We spent most of the time playing cards in the evening on the terrace. If this isn't your thing and you prefer a more active entertainment then this isn't for you.

Summary
I have given this hotel three stars because, i think it's more of a four star, so i was going to give it a 4 star but after the toilet bin wasn't cleaned i couldn't not remove another star.

It's hard giving this hotel a 3 because the staff are 5 star if not higher but the drinks are not, and the 'sales culture' i felt within the hotel, made me always feel like they were trying to get something more out of me..

I don't think we'd return, which is a culmination of airport, transfer, hotel, and location issues.

Room Tip: The walls and floors are made of paper.
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Michael H
General M, General Manager at Aquila Rithymna Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2018

Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for choosing the Aquila Rithymna Beach Hotel for your stay in Crete and for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback.

I was disheartened to learn that you were unhappy with some aspects of our hotel. Here at the Aquila Rithymna Beach Hotel, we pride ourselves on the standard of our accommodation and we believe, and certainly it is the opinion of many of our guests, that our hotel meets the rating it has been awarded, as many return year after year. Therefore, I was very sorry to learn of your own personal opinion.

I am however pleased that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful and that you also found our meals to be of a good quality. Again, these are areas that we take great pride in and I will ensure that your complimentary feedback in this respect is relayed to my team.

Thank you once again for your feedback. It was our great pleasure to host you and I do hope that your decision will change and you may consider another visit in the not too distant future.