“Family run in French style”
Review of Le Monteil

Le Monteil
Ranked #1 of 24 Restaurants in Barjac
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 4 July 2017

No frills but great food cooked by Madam Patron Carole Courouble and served by her husband who carefully goes through the menu written a a blackboard . The profiteroles are a speciality and must be sampled . They close Monday & Tuesday . Very popular so must book . Menu changes weekly . Local Barjac wine , Red or white is best value by carafe .We had kidneys in mustard sauce , the rabbit was delicious . We ate twice recently and if it rains there are tables in bistro setting inside . It is beside the Chateau with a view of the county side . Meal for 2 incl wine € 70 . ( tel 0982287654 )

1  Thank Chris N

Reviewed 25 September 2016

This little resto's top ratings are fully deserved. The host and head waiter is indeed master of the house. He insisted that I speak French, but was positive in encouraging me to improve my use of la belle langue. Facilities are simple, but the location is perfect. Prices are very reasonable, and it's a la carte with a reasonable array of choices on the blackboard. The food is absolutely superb. We thoroughly enjoyed our starter plate of "hot cold" lentils with slices of smoked duck and sausage. The main plate of trout almondine was perfectly cooked, accompanied by delicious carrots. The host tempted me to try one of the house dessert specialties of the local version of profiteroles. A starred Michelin resto cannot provide a better array of taste, texture, and nutrition. Kudos to Madame Chef, who made a friendly tour of the tables after the final round of service.

Reviewed 13 September 2016

We had a delightful evening in this restaurant in which the host ,and his wife the cook, are the owners. The interesting menu was delivered and explained with a flourish and the food was very good. The lady of the house came out to visit her guests in the latter part of the evening which was a nice touch. We enjoyed the quality of the local wine and later came to realise the variety of the latter that is available. The restaurant is small and you will need to book. Definitely worth it.

Reviewed 4 September 2016 via mobile

It's very rare I feel compelled to write a review literally as I'm home from the meal, but I want to write it whilst it's still fresh in my mind!
We're on our honeymoon in the Ardèche and tonight we decided to give the barbecue a rest and eat out;seeing as 2 weeks ago it was our wedding day!. I'm so pleased we did!
One word WOW! Although that barely does it justice! It's almost like you can taste the passion with which the meal is cooked. I can't describe how delicious each course was! I had the artichoke terrine which was so fresh and warm and just delicious! My husband had the cheese terrine again formidable. Just light and just perfect for a starter. Followed by the pork medallions which were just cooked to perfection so tender! No seasoning required as the passionate chef has just got it perfectly right! Then their profiteroles a choice of 5 I think each with an exciting accompaniment compared to the boring standard ones we get in the UK. Just sublime! Monsieur is the perfect host attentively serving each table and passionately talking you through each dish. I've noticed the one negative review on here and I'd say ignore it. He was the perfect host and a vital part of the wonderfully oiled machine of La Monteil! Just amazing! Go go go! We hope to return before we.go home next week!

1  Thank Alice P
Reviewed 30 August 2016 via mobile

We enjoyed a wonderful evening meal at this restaurant , it has a delightful setting and very attentive friendly service. The food was some of the best we have eaten in our two week holiday . The mussels in Saffron were delicious and the lamb amazingly tender . We will
Definitely return and highly recommend this place . Definitely book ahead to avoid disappointment .