“Shwe Hin Ta oh my dear Shwe Hin Ta”
Review of Shwe Hin Tha Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ngwe Saung
Shwe Hin Tha Hotel
Reviewed 30 March 2014

When you get off the bus, the guys would come to you to give u a lift. I hopped on a motorbike with my bag and off we went for about 10-15minutes. It cost 1000Kyat.

Check-in was straight forward. I had called them prior to book for 2 nights (Found it on the internet but will update this site with the latest number). The cheapest hut was US$30. I understand its a little sketchy because if you searched the internet you would realize that a little over a month ago, some people paid US$25. Oh well...

The hut was basic. One big bed for 2 people to sleep. A fan, 2-pin power sockets available, a mosquito net (I felt like a princess and yes I am a guy). Toilet is a wet one. Toilet and shower(cold) together. The have slippers which looked icky but I survived with them. 2 pairs of big towels and 1 pair of hand towels in the room. Electricity runs only from 6pm to 6am.

View from outside the hut was beautiful. You could see the beach and it was breezy.

If you read the review below about the rat, the lady in the hut beside mine and I would like to validate it. I slept with the lights on so I woke up in the middle of the night to the sound of something trying to bite/squeeze through the roof. He was not very small but cute. I was not freaked out and went back to sleep. I would freak out if there was a cockroach but don't worry, I didn't see one.

If you can afford it, get the US$60 room, which has water heater, better house, tv and a closer view of the beach. There are other hotels with beach view, please research before booking.

Theres a outdoor restaurant run by the hotel. Breakfast buffet available. They have a variety of stuff in their menu for lunch & dinner. Forewarn you that I had a chicken dish but it was a little undercooked but the seafood was good. Staff are young and helpful. Prices are reasonable but you might want to reconsider the fruit juices.

The average vote is because I had better rooms in Myanmar with lower price and this place seems to be indecisive about pricing its rooms. If I were sharing the room, I wouldn't mind giving a higher rating. You would LOVE this place just for the quiet beach. Its not as beautiful as the ones in Thailand but Ngwe Saung has its own charm (while it lasts).

Room Tip: Basic Huts from C-7 to I think 12 has a good view to the beach.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank travelnoobdude
There are newer reviews for Shwe Hin Tha Hotel

Reviewed 19 March 2014

So we set out to enjoy a lovely time at the beach, and did so the first day we arrived, until we got back to our little hut where a pretty damn big rat was waiting for us....

Video is hard to see, but here it is anyway: http://youtu.be/1YuMJwviZPI

So I went to the front desk, tried to change huts, they said there was no more room and brought 2 traps. We tried to sleep with great difficulty, and I kept seeing the rat peaking from the ceiling (check the picture). At night you will hear them munch on the bamboo. But wait, it gets better..

So the next morning we wake up to see that the traps were still set but the cheese (or fish or whatever it was) was gone, of course.. these are experienced rats. We weren't the only ones with rats, this other guy who has been coming to this same hotel for over 9 years tells me in a totally casual way: "Oh yeah, I have rats in my hut too, they all do and always have!! (speaking about the bamboo huts) It's because they like to eat the bamboo you see." Unbelievable, really.. That night, when we got back, I saw another rat, it was half the size, which made me wonder how many rats our hut was actually nesting.. Luckily for us it was our last night in this hotel!

Thought I'd also mention that the restaurant isn't really worth it, more expensive obviously then the local restaurants, and the food isn't great. They don't seem to mind stray dogs coming to bug their customers. Oh and if you order any kind of juice (watermelon, pineapple, orange), ask them to strain the pips/pith before serving it to you, not too sure why they can never get that right.

On the plus side, the view is fantastic, like all the hotels there because there is still so much space and all the hotels are literally built on the beach.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sylvain411
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We booked to stay here for a few days after an organised small group tour of Myanmar and before setting off for similar tours in India. Although it initially proved quite difficult to arrange both the hotel and the transport we finally found an agency in Yangon, Baton Tours, who actually responded promptly to our emails and who made all the arrangements for us.
We stayed in the cheaper wooden huts and had a wonderful view to the nearby beach. The huts, whilst basic, met all of our needs and the hotel restaurant served a reasonable included breakfast and a good range of meals for lunch or dinner. The attached bathroom was basic but met our needs although we did miss hot water in the shower (this is available in the more expensive brick bungalows). The staff were all nice and we thoroughly enjoyed our time here.
The beach is wonderful, the sea warm and the area remains, for the moment at least, largely unspoilt and uncrowded. They are building some more upmarket resort hotels and the character of the area will no doubt change quite quickly as long as tourists continue to be encouraged in Myanmar. If you like the idea of visiting this area before it changes too much don't leave it too long!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Myanmar is not the most tourist friendly country in the world. The government keeps a tight rein on the comings and goings of all travelers.
For those adventurous travelers that are willing to go off the beaten tourist track and put up with the governments seeming paranoid scrutiny, Myanmar is a great place to go. Beside all the elaborate 1000 year old temples/pagodas in the Bagan region the fairly undiscovered beach communities on the Bay of Bengal on the west coast are a find for the inquisitive traveler.
Ngwe Saung is a quiet village nestled on the expansive sandy shores of the bay. There are around 20 hotel and guesthouses spread out over a 5 kilometer area. It’s a relaxing, very serene place to stay.
I spent two nights at Shwe Hin Tha Hotel. The bungalows are OK, somewhat worn out and in need of more minor upkeep and repairs. As is the rule in Ngwe Saung there is no electricity service during the daytime; only from 6PM to 6AM so the fans don’t function midday. Can get hot.
The reason to visit the bay is the beaches; kilometer after kilometer of virtually unpopulated wide sandy beaches. I recommend renting a motorcycle and tour the surrounding area via the beach route. An exhilarating experience.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank DiceyEye
Reviewed 5 February 2014

They didn't have a free room left, so the staff gave us their room... Was very friendly and the room was nice, thanks a lot!!!! Fair price and clean, thumbs up, it's not usual in Myanmar!!! We would defenitly recommend this place.

• Stayed: January 2014