Hotel Bradabella(Gargellen)
  • Restaurant
Haus Marmotta(Gargellen)
  • Restaurant
Haus Sursilva(Gargellen)
All reviewssitting roomnew wingfine hotelup to dateevery nightwifiruntaxibedroomcharmbaseaustriasaunafamiliesskimountains
Reviewed 6 October 2017

Arriving at Zurich airport for my return flight I discovered I had left my passport behind in the Hotel. On departure I had to apologise to our host Herr Rhomberg for keeping him up until well after 1pm so it was with some embarrassment that I rang to ask if my passport had been located in the 'safe place' in our bedroom, as by deduction, it was not in my suitcase. He had it and was about to post it to London. When I asked him if he could put it in a taxi he was quite emphatic that my Driver's Licence would be sufficient to get me on the plane. Sadly I had to inform him that the UK was not and never had been in the Shengen zone, that it was an Australian passport and I have to travel with not only the current passport but the old one with the stamp in it declaring I had 'Indefinite leave to remain' and that now the UK had voted Brexit I had zero chance of boarding that plane, or any plane to London, without the passports. I don't quite know how he did it but I think a great degree of influence was involved.
He drove the passport to Bludenz to catch the Arlberg Express bus that was departing for Zurich airport at 2.30 - it was 2.10. A nerve wracking 30 minutes passed before I heard the passports were on the bus and on their way. 'Nerve wracking' only because dashing off in that manner and driving at speed down that road to Bludenz could have been a worse disaster.
The Madrisa is a traditional family run Hotel and this year with exceptional dining, this was our third visit. We stayed in the old section of the Hotel in a recently refurbished room with ensuite and a sitting room. Very comfortable indeed.

Room Tip: We have stayed in both the old and new wing and every room has been good.
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 July 2017

In the bulky Austrian Slow Food guide 2017, the Madrisa hotel is described on page 32, stating amongst others: " ...stands out with its excellent cuisine, using products of the in-house organic alpine farm...". Yes indeed, excellent food and a super fine hotel run for decennia by the Rhomberg family. My wife and I are really pleased to be back here, since we discovered this gem last year. Well maintained, spacious well equipped rooms, swimming pool, sauna, steam bath, sun meadow, mountains, great breakfast buffet of high quality, excellent dinners, fine staff. Good free wifi in the hotel lobby.
This hotel is one of the best we had, a big treat for a fine price. Yes, go and have a good time.

Room Tip: I prefer the rooms in the new wing.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 April 2017

As a hotelier I always love to be surprised.
We were recommended Hotel Madrisa by a friend of ours who used to stay there as a young man.
From the moment we pulled up in the taxi, we knew it was going to be good. A warm smile, a handshake and a cozy lobby.
As a family of 4 we stayed in a 'suite'. A separate bedroom for the kids and a combined sitting room/bedroom for the parents.

Sure, the decor and fittings are a bit 70's.... but all in good shape.
The hotel is well run, everything clean, quirky housekeepers who shape your duvets differently everyday, or fold funny towel shapes.
It has a lovely heated pool with great views, a sauna and steam bath, as well as a massage service.
Welcome cocktails on Sunday, live entertainment on Tuesday, a (really good) gala dinner on Thursday and a massive dessert buffet on Fridays.

We took their half board option, that includes ski passes for the whole Montafon ski region.
I can't fault the food options - fresh regional and organic cuisine.A cracking breakfast to start with and a 5 course dinner every night.
The hotel also has a small a la carte restaurant - an option we used one night for a great meat fondue.
Wine list is predominantly Austrian, with some real gems and well priced.
Start, finish or both your evening in front of the open fire in the lounge and think about your hard days' skiing...

A very good ski rental shop is in the building and even better is access to ski storage facilities at the base gondola station.

I could go on for a while, but no need.. just go, and do like many many families do... keep returning year after year. We will!

Room Tip: There are 2 wings to the hotel, we stayed in the 'newer' one. I understand the older wing is nice and quirky and has better bathrooms.
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 August 2016

We have not been in Austria for years. Preferred Switzerland. But a daughters and our son in law said we could join them to Gargellen, Voralberg near the Swiss border, were they had selected a good hotel called Madrisa. Well indeed, this hotel is a real gem. It is the oldest hotel in the little village of Gargellen, family owned. The Rhomberg family has kept the hotel up to date, enlarged it with a new wing and a fine indoor pool. A Gault & Millau recognition for the chef, so be sure of good dinners, also fine for veggies. As a standard you also get a decanter of fresh water with your dinner, which is a fine service not often given in Europe. Prices OK, and sure, with the Swiss Franc high up, really less expensive than in Switzerland. We liked the hotel and were glad to have found such a place in the Austrian mountains. One slight drawback, though perhaps a blessing in disguise, is that there is only good wifi in the lounge and bar area but not in the rooms. Summing up: Madrisa, yes.

Room Tip: we liked the AA room in the new wing
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 February 2016

We arrived in Gargellen for the first time in 1973, which adds up to 43 years with only a handful of missed years.Why this addiction?
The village itself.& the incomparable Madrisa Hotel,owned & run of course by Hans Karl.Lily & their family with such unwavering warmth & efficiency providing the perfect environment for friendships to flourish & thrive,so we have layers of friends we meet
each year.
We have just returned 2 weeks ago,having taken our grandson wife & daughters aged 5 & 2.The Rhombergs welcomed our boisterous double act & we have no doubt they will be returning for many years to come
Maggie Hunt