Alpenhotel Heimspitze
  • Restaurant
Agoda.com
Haus Sursilva(Gargellen)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsskiing holidaywonderful foodkurttowelscomforthikingrelaxationaccommodationaustriasummer
Reviewed 8 January 2017

After a 10 year absence, we returned to Alpenhotel Heimspitze, one of our favorite hiking and dining and relaxation paradises in Austria. Christian and Amalie, our hosts, have taken over this delightful property form their family which hosted us many times earlier. They have added their own very special touch of personality and love of excellence to the fantastic base established by Kurt and his wife. Our group of six was made instantly a member of the" family" again and we all would have liked to remain at our "Heimspitze" for the remainder of the summer. Wonderful food, good conversation, and unhurried service and excellent wine list. We are already signed up
for a return in 2017.
P.S. Always a delight at "Heimspitze" is the invariable mystery of how the towels always 'freshened" each time a person leaves his or her accommodation.
This gives "Alpenhotel Heimspitze" six stars in our personal ratings!

Room Tip: South or west facing-most do face the sunny side
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hikerfellow
C-Thoeny, Inhaber at Alpenhotel Heimspitze, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2017

Dear Heimspitz-Guest!

THAAAANK YOU - for your lovely quote!

It was a real pleasure welcoming you at the Heimspitze - even more after such a long time.
We had so much fun and joy by being your hosts. Thank you for a great time!
It was wonderful to share all those nice moments with you at the Heimspitze. We are lucky to have you as our Hotel-Guest. We are already looking forward your next Stay. Your favourite Red-Wine is already reserved for you.

Kindest regardss, and all our L.O.V.E

Amélie
The Heimspitz-Team.

Reviewed 14 September 2015

Everything in this amazing Hotel is great for a hiking or a skiing holiday. Cozy rooms, beautiful countryside and a real Austrian ambiance in the Hotel itself. The food is outstanding and the service wonderful. We highly recommend this peace of heaven.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
AK_Kraemer, General Manager at Alpenhotel Heimspitze, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2017

Dear Inga! Thank you very much for your kind review about the Alpenhotel Heimspitze. We are very happy that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We will forward your compliments to our Heimspitz-Staff. Looking forwards welcoming you soon again. Kindest regards, Amélie

Reviewed 26 July 2014

I've given it '4' for facilities, food, location., etc., but this was a funny old place which didn't really suit us as a family.

We stayed at the Heimspitze for February half-term week 2014 with our two small children aged 3 and 5. My impression of the hotel was definitely marred by me being very poorly all week and being cooped up in the room. One of our children was also ill and out of sorts - I feel I should say that in the interests of full disclosure!

Upsides - a solid hotel with good, interesting food; great location for skiing in Gargellen - the lifts and children's area are close by, as is the kindergarten. The rooms and communal areas are very nice - not the most modern I have ever seen but that's part of the charm; many of the staff were very nice and professional - especially the housekeeping staff: a big thumbs up for them, they were excellent, obliging, and warm.

However...this is not a hotel for young children. One of our children is a fairly fussy eater and the other a complete omnivore, but neither was thrilled with the prospect of extra-rare venison or one or two of the other fairly unusual dishes served (we were on half board). So, the alternate option they were presented with every single night of our week-long stay was spaghetti bolognese. Every. Single. Night.

I am not the kind of person who thinks kids should be presented with bland, boring, re-formed food day in and day out: not at all. But there was a lack of flexibility in the restaurant that got on mine and my partner's nerves. The meat or fish component of the adult's dish, served with some veg or french fries would have been fine as an alternative, but this was never once offered. My partner also got a bit of a glower when he asked for french fries with something once. He is not a luddite and is perfectly comfortable eating in michelin-type places. Just, this night, he fancied a few french fries with his steak. He didn't get them.....! Similarly, I got the feeling we were looked down on a bit because we didn't order any alcoholic drinks. Partner doesn't drink and I couldn't owing to medication.

As I mentioned above, the housekeeping staff were very competent and obliging, sorting out a bed for our son ( a cot had been provided initially - no good - he was way too big) and just generally doing their jobs well and unobtrusively. The bloke on the main desk, however, (owner/ manager perhaps) was not at ease with guests and I think unsuited to a public-facing role. He did pull his finger out to give us details of a local doctor when I needed to visit one, but didn't go to too much trouble e.g., left it up to us to determine the doctor's opening hours, when it would have been so much easier for him to have found out for us. We were really in a bit of a state (our small son was ill too) and could have done with some help to be honest.

In summary, probably very lovely if you are going as a couple but please don't come here with young children. It's not the place for you.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Laura999
Reviewed 8 September 2013

We just returned from a wonderful Summer Holiday at this fantastic Hotel. Everything is first class, the rooms, which are spotless and extremely comfortable, the service, the location and of course the absolutely amazing food. It boasts a fabulous wine list and a knowledgeable wine steward along with a very helpful service staff. It is a most friendly, family run Hotel and we can't imagine a better place to stay. The Hotel itself is lovely and beautifully furnished; all in all it is outstanding in every way. And not to forget of course, the hiking there is awesome!

Kevin USA

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ingeborg P
Reviewed 31 March 2013

I love Gargellen. I first skied there as a teenager in the late 70s. It's a special place with a certain charm. It's also pretty much off the beaten track for most british skiers, which I hate to say but that's not a bad thing.

Gargellen as some great off-piste and the Montafon valley as a whole offers plenty of choice and it's all easily accessible even if you don't have a car - you simply jump on the ultra reliable post bus.

The problem with Gargellen is that I can't help but rave about the place and friends think I'm a little map when they look at the piste map, until they finally get there and then they get it.

Anyway the Heimspitze is a fabulous 'boutique' type hotel. It's small, but with beautifully appointed rooms, out of this world cuisine and great service. It exudes calm and style but without pretension.

You can ski back to the hotel and it's just a stroll to the lift station.

My single criticism or should I say observation, is that there is no swimming pool; but then again the last thing I want to do on a sking trip is swim.....

Room Tip: Try the Panormaic room - it's huge
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends