Caribbean House(Saint-Pierre)
Travelocity
All reviewsvilla saintbreadsound of the wavesshower hosegreat spotocean viewgreat place to stay in stmartiniquebalconypierremiddleaccessharbourdinerbathstourchef
Reviewed 26 January 2016

I cannot say enough nice things about this little bed and breakfast. The proprietors were very nice and pleasant, and they do speak some English, although it is nice if you can try to speak some french while you are there. (A note about this-most people in st pierre do not speak much english, so come prepared with your phrasebook, especially if you want to eat in the restaurants.)

It looks a bit nondescript on the outside, but the inside looks like a boutique hotel once you get to the rooms. Also, it was very clean! This is important for me, as I have a ton of allergies (mold, dust, pollen) and I often have trouble when I'm traveling. No troubles at all at this place.

The provided breakfast was amazing. They give you a selection of juice, pastries, yogurt, fresh fruit and coffee, brought to you at your table on a tray. The free wifi was easy to access, and there is free parking just up the street.

This is a great home base for exploring the north of Martinique. I would definitely stay here again!

Reviewed 23 January 2016

This is an excellent place to stay, great hospitality by the owners, Andre and Marise and very good quiet rooms. They served a great breakfast and also I had a very nice dinner there one night. I had a room with a balcony and sea view which I would highly recommend instead of the rooms overlooking the road. Marise speaks very good English and Andre a little. The bathroom is good with a nice tub and a handheld shower. The room is a good size and the WiFi works well although it requires a little complicated password system, but not a real problem. There is free parking about two blocks away. Right now there is construction going on in front of the building on the seaside to construct a nice boardwalk and a small road. When completed it will make a nice place to take a walk. The construction is not bothersome or noisy. I would definitely stay here again if I were visiting the north of Martinique.

Room Tip: Rooms with a sea view and balcony are best.
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 January 2016

The owners, Andre and Marise Givogre, go completely out of their way to be helpful and friendly. As we left for the beach, they ran to lend us a beach chair and umbrella. When we mentioned an outing we were going on, the told us the best way to get there and what the highlights were. If you let them know 24 hours in advance, they will cook dinner for you and Andre is a superlative chef (I would recommend this as a number of other restaurants in St. Pierre were open some evenings and not others and there were no signs posted informing about what days they were open and which days they were closed. If you want to eat a restaurant in town, find it open earlier in the day and tell them you want to eat there that night or you may show up at 7pm and find the place shuttered as we did).
We had a water view on the second floor through wide sliding glass doors opening onto a balcony. Until you got within 3 feet of the door, it looked like we were on a cruise as all you could see was the water and the sailboats at anchor. The sun sets on that side of the building, so every evening we were treated to a beautiful sunset. We went snorkeling off the beach right outside our door and saw as much sea life as we saw scuba diving in St. Thomas. Each day the temperature rose to about 85 degrees F and didn't go below about 75 degrees F at night but the air conditioner kept the room a comfortable 68 degrees F with no problem. Note, however, that the sun sets outside your glass door so if you leave early in the morning and come back late in the afternoon or at night and forgot to close the blinds of the sliding door, your room will be quite warm as everything electrical in the room turns off when you leave with your room key.
Our room was quite large with bed, desk and two other chairs with a low table. The bathroom was also very large and the sink and tub/shower were in one room and the toilet in another (in a "water closet" behind a door in that room). Wi-fi was free and flawless, a mini-fridge was also in the room and free, and a nice television with only French language (maybe we could have reset it to English, but I just thought of that possibility this instant). This brings up a good point: in this area, virtually NO ONE speaks English. I was told more inhabitants speak English in the Fort-de-France region in the Southern part of the island. Fortunately, my wife speaks a little French, so we were able to get by.
Some minor disadvantages: As a spoiled American, I like ice in my drinks; there is no ice machine, but the operators are more than willing to get you a bowl of ice cubes whenever you like. Parking is about 100 yards down the block, but Marise and Andre will direct you to park right next to the Villa on your first and last nights so you can unload and re-load your car. That's about it for negatives.
Overall, a really comfortable, clean, quaint place to stay in a very picturesque area of the world.

Room Tip: Rooms that face the water have great views and the second floor view is the best.
Reviewed 11 January 2016

The room was very clean and comfortable. The proprietors, Andre and Marise, are more than accommodating. They helped us plan our days, gave us directions, and even loaned us umbrellas and beach towels. Dinner at the Villa was a culinary treat and included appetizer, salad, main course and dessert, all professionally created by Andre in true French cuisine style. Breakfast (included) was plentiful and fresh each morning and consisted of fresh fruit, yogurt, juice, coffee, croissants, and pastries. It was a pleasure to see their smiles and greetings each morning. The room was quiet and serene with a balcony overlooking the ocean. Air conditioning was excellent, lots of hot water.

Room Tip: Ocean view; definitely speaking French helps, even if you speak minimally (as I do) she and Andre will make every effort to help you out.
Reviewed 15 December 2015

We loved staying in this hotel, which is one of the few (if not the only one) in St Pierre. We came down on the new Norwegian Air flights from New York and spent a few days in the North as well as the South, and as far as we are concerned, the North is the best part of the island to be on. First, Andre and Maryse, the owners, are wonderful. They are friendly and accommodating. We arrived very late due to delays at the airport getting the rental car and once we arrived they had been waiting for us and holding a parking spot at the hotel for us. The hotel is very clean and the rooms are simple but lovely. We had a small balcony that overlooked the harbor that we watched sundown from every night. Breakfast was great (fruit, french pastries and yogurt) and because the location of the hotel was so central we were able to walk around town as we needed, including in the evening for dinner.

Most visitors to the island are likely to choose accommodation in the south, but we are sold on the North. St Pierre is very authentic and non-touristy, one of the best beaches on the island (Anse Coulevre) is nearby, and of course all the history and adventure of Mount Pelee and the coastal hike of Grand Riviere is right there. More importantly, being in a hotel where you have such lovely owners willing to provide suggestions and assistance is always a plus, and I will say that Andre and Maryse really went out of their way to be helpful to their guests. We'll definitely go back!

Room Tip: Definitely take a seaview room, with a small balcony and harbor views it is absolutely worth it.
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple